Author Topic: Finally seeing a neurosurgeon on May 28  (Read 2531 times)

am2lady

Finally seeing a neurosurgeon on May 28
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:41:23 pm »
I got my medical record that was done April 2013 from the ENT & my hearing was fine. When the hearing is not affected what type of surgery is suggested?
MRI showed - 1.9cm x 1.9cm x 0.9cm AN - as of 5/11/13
MRI showed - 20.5mm AP x17mm  transverse x 20.7mm - 5/8/14

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Finally seeing a neurosurgeon on May 28
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:53:37 pm »
I got my medical record that was done April 2013 from the ENT & my hearing was fine. When the hearing is not affected what type of surgery is suggested?

The Middle Fossa surgical approach apparently has the best chance of avoiding hearing nerve damage - but there are no guarantees.

Your surgeon will look at the MRI scans and decide what surgical approach he'll use.  Surgeons want to choose the surgical approach that gives them the best chance of removing the entire tumor to avoid re-growth.  Retaining hearing is much desired but has to be secondary to removing the entire tumor, if possible.  The doctor will also want to avoid facial nerve damage.  This is why the surgical approach isn't the patient's decision (although you can always refuse the surgery). 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Hokiegal

Re: Finally seeing a neurosurgeon on May 28
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 10:48:04 am »
Hi am2lady, how did your appointment with the neurosurgeon go?

Mary
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni