Author Topic: Loose screws, painful screws...anyone had their screws removed?  (Read 1819 times)

amymeri

Loose screws, painful screws...anyone had their screws removed?
« on: September 19, 2009, 06:03:18 pm »
A couple of my screws are uncomfortable.  They aren't loose.  But the skin is thin over them and they get sore.  My surgeon said they can be removed.  The plate is fused to the bone by now and it is just a matter of making an incision, removing the screws and sewing me back up.

I am considering doing it the same time they put in my Baha abutment since it would be surgery at the same site.

Has anyone had their screws removed?
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Loose screws, painful screws...anyone had their screws removed?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:05:58 pm »
I haven't had any of my screws removed, but I know it can be done without too much of a hassle.  Having them removed at the same time as your BAHA surgery makes total sense to me - but you should obviously ask your doctor about this.

My BAHA implant surgery caused my skin to be stretched very thinly across the head of one of the screws from my AN surgery, but I have experienced no soreness.  I've been told by my neurotologist that if the head of the screw ever popped entirely through the skin, he'd just remove it with a screwdriver.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

FrankinCA

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:38:39 pm »
I had no idea they put plates over the hole they drilled in the skull.  Is this what they always do?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:50:22 pm »
I had no idea they put plates over the hole they drilled in the skull.  Is this what they always do?

Depends on the docs.

I have titanium mesh, titanium screws, and a titanium plate in my head from my AN surgery - I also have belly fat.  There are numerous "fat heads" here on the Forum  :D

I also have a titanium abutment in my head from my BAHA surgery.

Titanium isn't an issue for MRIs - nor is it an issue for metal detectors @ airports (thankfully)  ;D

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways