Author Topic: Sleep & Balance  (Read 4373 times)

gman100

Sleep & Balance
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:24:35 am »
Hey Everybody,

I was just noticing if anybody else noticed anything like this. I would say my dizziness is so-so. When I get up in the morning, or stand-up/sit-down, or turn my head or body quickly, my balance tends to be the worst. However, my girlfriend bought a sleeping mask the other day, which I gave in and tried after a couple days. I tend to probably get 1-2 more hours of sleep a night, which I usually don't get because light creeps around the blinds and just tends to cut my sleep a little short. Anyways, I noticed my dizziness is drastically better, even overnight. Now when I say 1-2 more hours that's really on top of what would already be considered normal, like 8 hours, so like 10! That's probably not an option for many people, but it seems to do the trick for me. I can work out now without complaining and my morning dizziness, which was my absolute worst, is tons better.

-Chris
8/4/2008 - Pilocytic astrocytoma removed
9/21/2008 - 1.0g Gold weight
6/24/2009 - 7/12 Graft + 1.6g Gold weight
Balance/Dizziness: From 0% to 75%
Double Vision: From 0% to 70%
Facial Paralysis: Corner of mouth just started moving a bit

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Sleep & Balance
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »
Hi Chris:  I always find when I have a great night's sleep, my balance is definitely better - since it's been more than 3 1/2 years since surgery,  my balance is pretty good, but better with more sleep too ! !  Sweet dreams...
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »
Fatigue has a huge effect on balance.

My balance is generally very good - has been since a few months post op - but any time I'm overtired I notice that I tend to stumble.  The wonkyhead also reappears.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

painter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:27 am »
I finally figured out that sleep does indeed help with the dizziness.  At night after a day of working I notice it getting worse. So I lay on the couch and "rest" while watching TV, but when I go to get up I'm really wonky.  I'm still exhausted by evening.  So it's off to bed, ambien, and a good night's sleep.  By morning I start again with a pretty clear head.  I don't need the sleep mask, but my wife needs earplugs.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:33:37 pm »
Hi, Chris:

There's no doubt in my mind that a good night's sleep is a tremendous help in reducing the severity of all AN-related symptoms, except for hearing loss (which tends to be more or less permanent unless treated immediately with steroids). A great night's sleep seems to be especially helpful for my balance. Eating a balanced diet rich in leafy green vegetables seems to be equally helpful to me.

Turn off the alarm clock if you can, and continue with your successful sleep routine. It's great medicine!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

jchughes68

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »
Thank you everyone for the comments.  This site has been amazing by showing me everything I am experiencing is happening to others - that's comforting ~smile!  My balance continues to be bad when I'm tired but much better when rested in the a.m.  Chris
4 x 3 x 3 cm AN, left side
Surgery 9-15-08 at Abbott NW in Minneapolis
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:11:02 am »
Chris~
I would agree whole heartedly with everything that everybody already said - esp. Tumbleweed's assessment that EVERYTHING is affected by how much sleep you get.  When I taught full-time, the principal said she could tell what day of the week it was by how droopy my eye was and my speech - I literally went home & went straight to bed on Friday afternoons!  I have been told by various Dr.'s over the years that "I will always be better in the mornings" and that "you spend double the amount of energy as everyone else, just trying to stand up straight" - the body does compensate but at a price and that is fatigue.  Some don't have near the compensation as others, but I bet EVERYBODY has some.  I have just learned my limitations - to me, that is part of the way my "new life" (after AN) is.  I try to schedule important, thinking things (like a test today for a job) in the mornings. I would say that I am VERY active - I am on the go all the time, either running from meeting to meeting or driving 3 curly girlies all over town - you should see my list today and that doesn't even include grocery shopping or laundry - both of which I HAVE to fit in sometime!!  For instance, this weekend, I had a Style Show/Brunch at church that I was coordinating so I knew that I would not get any extra sleep Saturday morning - I PLANNED to get to bed early Friday night.  Also, I HAVE to get a nap in on Sunday afternoons - if I do that, the whole week just seems to go better.  Sometimes thing happen that don't allow for "planning" but the more you can look at your week ahead, the better it will be.
Good luck - you are NOT alone!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 03:24:09 pm »
Chris ~

I know the subject has been pretty well covered and your questions answered but I just wanted to jump in at the tail end of this thread to reiterate much of what has been posted, especially Kay's ('Kaybo') post regarding fatigue. 

I find that when I have a busy day, be it from physical work or, more often, just being in stress-inducing situations, I'm very tired at night and sleep like the proverbial baby.  As Kay's doctor stated, I find I'm much more energetic in the morning hours.  I had attributed this to aging but now I believe that while my age (67) is a factor, my body working hard to keep my equilibrium functioning close to normally is a much larger factor in my noticeable lack of late-day stamina.  As Kay wisely suggested, I've learned to organize my schedule so as to keep fatigue at bay most of the time.  I'm not a night owl and don't mind being tired at night, but I don't wish to be so tired as to be basically useless after 7 P.M. I can usually avoid that although I often doze off for short periods while watching TV in a semi-dark room, no matter how interesting the show.  I can do that and still go to bed and sleep soundly for 7 or 8 hours.  Like Kay, I plan my days and allow for my limitations.  Fortunately, unlike Kay, I don't have small children or, like others, a job to deal with.  Then again, I have 27 years on our mutual friend, Kaybo - and I wouldn't trade them for the world.  :)   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.