Author Topic: Another translab question!  (Read 2551 times)

kathleen anna

Another translab question!
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:25:26 am »
Hello............I am six weeks post op and doing pretty good.  Had my follow up and seems that I seem to be right on target.....I do have a symptom that just started yesterday...I feel like I have an earache on the AN side and a pain down the left side of my neck. (almost like a swollen gland feeling).  I did have this feeling prior to surgery all the time.  I thought that this would disappear once the tumor was removed.  Is it the nerve healing?   Has anyone had this feeling this long after surgery? Is this another thing that just takes time??  Any advise is always appreciated!   Thanks so much...............Kathleen Anna.

anissa

• My Journey
Re: Another translab question!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:43:33 pm »
Hello there!  I didn't want to read and run but I don't have a answer either.  If it worries you then give your Dr. a quick call otherwise know that the surgery affects so many nerves and things (very technical, I know ;) ) that healing takes a long time and comes in many forms.  Glad to hear your recovery is on track!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

moe

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:13:42 am »
Hi KA!
I agree with Anissa. Sounds like post op healing. Of course this appears AFTER you see your doc! ::) Do not hesitate to call back and leave a message it it continues.
Did he palpate around that area?
So probably just another post op "it will get better".
I had translab, but had the facial nerve cut, so wasn't feeling much on that side :-[
You may experience that "fullness" in the ear feeling, because of what they used to plug the hole. My fullness feeling continues even today. Just another thing I try and get used to. It doesn't help to try and pop the ear, but I try anyway!
Sometimes I do get an earache.
Hope that helps :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nanlt124

• learning more everyday
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:42:36 am »
hi   i had my surgery 093010  and had my first post op    i too now have ear and neck pain    i have become much more sensitive on the whole side of my head    my jaw and cheek bone are achey as well      i see my doctor on friday and he will probably tell me that it is due to swelling going down and numbness going away    at least that is my opinion    you know what that is worth   will let you know if i learn anything else      do call your doctor if it gets worse or worries you               nancy from clearwater

kathleen anna

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »
Nancy, Maureen and Anissa....   Thanks so much for the feedback ........This whole AN thing just amazes me!!!  Its great that we all can relate and compare symptoms, ask questions, and get great support! 

Now today, my neck and ear feels fine......but who knows about tomorrow!!!   What a journey!      My very first post, prior to surgery, I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster.   Now its like a physical rollercoaster!!!  Mornings are good, need to nap in the afternoon, thats when the heavy head starts, then early to bed!!!   

Thanks again everyone!

moe

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:32:29 pm »
You're Welcome :)
Like I said you are still pretty fresh post op. Recovery varies from person to person, anywhere from weeks to months, up to a year. Good days and not so good. One step forward, two steps backward. You get my drift ;D

Just listen to your body, and take those naps, and get to bed early. I truly believe that helps in the recovery. Getting lots of rest for weeks and months! (I nap every day)
Your napping buddy,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty