Author Topic: Really confused about my MRI report  (Read 5416 times)

microsoftfree

Really confused about my MRI report
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:09 pm »
I'm back and really confused. The call from my neurologist's office said, " Your results came back normal and he (the doc) wants you to follow up as needed." Relived that I don't have an AN, but still haunts me that nothing showed up to explain why I'm having balance issues, etc. So I called the MRI center and requested a copy of the reports.

Both MRA's (looking at arteries in brain and neck) said simply no evidence of anything. Here's what the MRI with and w/o contrast said:

FINDINGS: The ventricles and sulci are appropriate for patient's age. There are scattered T2 hyperdensities identified in the bilateral frontal white matter best seen on 30 to 36 of series 4. There is no MRI evidence of enhancing intracranial lesion or acute hemorrhage.

IMPRESSION:
1. Scattered T2 hyperdensities are present in the bilateral frontal white matter as described above. Diagnostic considerations include ischemai/small blood vessel disease vs. multiple sclerosis plaque.( Bold is mine) There is no MRI evidence of 'enhancing lesion' in the brainstem to suggest acute process.

2. No MRI evidence of acute hemorrhage.

I was really ready to just blow this whole thing off, manage my balance issues, hearing loss and tinnitus the best I could and go on with my life. Multiple sclerosis would certainly explain why I'm always bumping into things because I get off balance. Also, small blood vessel disease would help explain the slight rise in my blood pressure as something in early stages and perhaps my dizziness also.

I don't know what to do now. I only know that I'm tired of all the tests and no answers. If the neurologist is unconcerned, should I be also?

Lilan

Re: Really confused about my MRI report
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:06:18 pm »
You certainly should have it explained to you. I would schedule an appointment to do review the results or ask the neuro's office if he/she will do it by phone.

When they go looking, they may see various things on imaging that may or may not mean anything, depending on whether they correlate with clinical symptoms and probably other types of testing. It's certainly a relief that the doctor is unconcerned, but as a patient understandable that you'd need to ask some followup questions for your own peace of mind!

As for armchair analysis, I believe "vs." is used as "instead of," isn't it? So if anything I think the radiologist is suggesting that it's ischemia instead of MS plaque? (????)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:52 am »
I would take the view that if the neurologist is not concerned about the "scattered T2 hyperdensities," then you should not be either.

All 3 of my MRI reports include phrases like "one or two focal areas of white matter hyperintensity," "an area of high signal within the white matter of the external capsule on the right, and "mild mucosal disease involving ethmoid labyrinth and left maxillary sinus." My ENT said  the mild mucosal disease amounts to little more than having some snot in my nose. The later reports say "no significant interval change in minimal nonspecific white matter findings."

The radiologists put everything on the MRI reports as a matter of record, and much of it is of no interest unless it changes over time. I think you should go back to plan A and "blow this whole thing off, manage your balance issues...and go on with your life." Maybe get another MRI in a year?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

microsoftfree

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 04:30:29 am »
My ENT said  the mild mucosal disease amounts to little more than having some snot in my nose.

LOL I suppose they have to report every little thing no matter how insignificant to avoid a malpractice suit like all the side effects on an aspirin bottle.

Thanks!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:51:27 am »
I'm glad Steve got here first to answer this question.  It makes my post really easy...

Yeah, what Steve said! :)  Don't sweat it.  Sounds like you're MRI came back "normal".

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:22:44 pm »
Becky ~

I'm pleased to learn that the MRI didn't indicate an acoustic neuroma - or any kind of tumor growth.  You're very fortunate - and I think you know that.  Obviously, with your ongoing symptoms, this 'clean' MRI doesn't answer all your questions.  From what you posted (from the report) it appears as if you do not have MS but do show some evidence of small blood vessel disease, which I don't believe is uncommon as we age and certainly isn't life-threatening but, to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge, can possibly increase your chances of stroke, so you should certainly discuss this with your doctor.   Guessing and answering your own questions is not a reliable means of solving some of your medical issues.  :)

This is why I never ask for or read my MRI reports and didn't even see my last scan images.  I trust my doctor, implicitly.  He is ethical, experienced and very conservative with his patients health.  He said that the remaining AN showed signs of necrosis and had shrunk a little and that I had met all of his goals for me.  He was very pleased with the MRI results - and I just went with that.  I'm positive that if there were anything untoward on the MRI scan images, he would have told me.   I trust that your doctor would do the same.  However, since the report has stirred your interest and your symptoms remain, this is a conversation you want to have with your doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:36:41 am »
I too am a victim of white matter lesions the MRI says it can be caused by drug abuse (that would not be me), multiple scelrosis (not me), uncontrolled BP or diabetes, trauma.  Well I have had trauma (fell off a ravine while hiking, do think that was from my loss of vestibular nerve on my AN side) and I did find out I have pre-diabetes and some mild hypertension, so I am attending to the last two things and hopefully my white matter won't change as quickly. I did see a Neurologist about it and that is what she told me, it is very difficult to say exactly what is the cause as it can be a few things.  Do discuss with your Dr. and see a Neurologist, it could make you feel less nervous about it.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!