Author Topic: It's legit all.... Chocolate helps Brain trauma!  (Read 4946 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
It's legit all.... Chocolate helps Brain trauma!
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:41:19 pm »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=100742
========================================================

Israeli Psychologists: Chocolate Therapy for Brain Trauma
14:21 Mar 24, '06 / 24 Adar 5766
By Hana Levi Julian

Chocolate. The very word itself conjures up images that evoke happy thoughts, relief, pleasure and pain relief. 

It has also become a tool for rehabilitation in Ra’anana, where two psychologists at the Beit Loewenstein Rehabilitation Hospital have created a chocolate sculpture therapy program.

Dr. Miri Tadir and Aviva Edelman work at the hospital’s Traumatic Brain Injury Unit, where they use chocolate to increase their patients’ pleasure while helping them to express issues that are difficult to verbalize.

“We wanted a little diversity, a little color,� said Tadir in an interview with Israel21c. Edelman added, “Psychological treatment often has a stigma. [People think] you have to be abnormal to get this treatment. Especially when you already feel that something is wrong with your head. We wanted something a bit more appealing.�

The first three-month, 12-session weekly workshop began last year with a group of eight patients. A second course began in February with eight new patients and the two clinicians are closely monitoring the results, to be discussed in a paper about the new form of therapy.

After the patients’ hour-long session with the chocolate, said Tadir, “they can talk about all kinds of things that are not directly connected� with the confection. “If you are doing what we do, psychological work, you can see the underlying processes which are probably coming from the work with the chocolate,� she added.

Only the best chocolate is used in the sessions, the psychologists assured. Dark Belgian, milk and white chocolate as well as various filling substances all go into making the creations that express the patients’ thoughts and feelings. “They learn how to melt it, you have to have it at the right temperature, we bought a special thermometer to control this,� said Edelman.

Patients have been enthusiastic about the course, she said. “We were taught that you are not supposed to play with your food,� she noted. With a smile, she said, “We are playing with food!�

Published: 13:27 March 24, 2006
Last Update: 14:21 March 24, 2006 
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: It's legit all.... Chocolate helps Brain trauma!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 02:59:46 pm »
Works for me!
After surgery when everything tasted weird, choclate was the only thing that tasted "normal."
I'm sitting here as I type chompin' on a piece right now!  It's all about portion control--even when I'm dieting, I indulge daily in a small bit of good dark chocolate usually a third of a bar. Life is too short not to have chocolate!
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:52 pm »
Interesting as well as appetizing study. I agree with Capt. Deb, chocolate was about the only food that didn't taste weird after surgery.

Wow! we could do a chocolate sculpture of Matthew for our rehabilitation program. ;)

I treat myself to 2 pieces of See's milk chocolate buttercream everyday. (4 Weight watcher points and totally worth it)

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 06:02:02 pm »
That is so cool!  I will share it with all my post-op caretakers.  Feed me much chocolate!

I've been nibbling on the chocolate/toffee macadamia nuts my nice co-worker brought back from Hawaii yesterday!

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:53:05 pm »
Now listen here you wenches, the report talked about choccie sculptures, not choccie skulling (term used down under for dowing a very large beer without coming up for air. You'd know about the "not coming up for air bit Capt Deb????????

In order to protect you less than innocent soles, especially Matti and gennysmom, (it's the quiet ones you gotta watch, you know, Mis wet tshirt winners), I think that before you have any more choccie, that I should test it first to protect you wenches.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 07:03:40 pm »
Ok--Laz has yet another job--what a workaholic!
Official Choccie Taster!
Makin' sure it's up to par enough for us conoisseurs!  Can't have us wonderful wenches eatin' inferior quality choccie can we now? ;)
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:12:43 pm »
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

whoops, none left - sorry, gotto wait for the next shipment - perhaps the good ship BP could make a detour to Belgium?

Oh no, they are here again, those bloody white coats coming to taaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkeeee me awaaaaaaaaaaay (said with a fade out)
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:18:06 pm »
gennysmom,

if Laz EVER sends us Aussie Cadbury "Three Wishes", you will be all set, post-op!  If not, I'll pick up the good stuff when I'm in London, en route to France! :)  deal?
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

BP Wench

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:45:24 pm »
Lar's too busy playing with the men in white coats..you'd think he'd prefer to play with the women in white coats and leave the men to us!   ;) :-*

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:55:49 pm »
They're coming to take him away, ha ha
They're coming to take him away, ho ho, hee hee
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time,
And he'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats,
And they're coming to take him away, ha ha

BP Wench

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 11:03:59 pm »
kathleen how come the men always go find larry?  how come they can't find me with and bring chocolate? 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 11:12:55 pm »
Michelle, these aren't the men you want to see.  They take you to a place and lock you up and keep men away from you.

Kind of like the bad police men that send you away to the all women's prison.

We'll find you some good men soon, and they won't be named Bob.  See the Good Morning...we're headed for Greece!

BP Wench

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 11:14:38 pm »
Yeah baby...there has to be some hot men in Greece!  I get first dibs I broke up with Bob  lol

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 06:08:58 pm »
Ah you wenches, I'm now behind cell 69 at funny farm incorporated. It's rather good in here, they believe in sweets for meals so I get choccie morning, noon and night. jealous?

Chronologer of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 06:15:27 pm »
We can come  bust you out lar..would't want you to have to suffer with all the choccie while in a 69 position ... ::)