Author Topic: ANA Symposium recap  (Read 2532 times)

Mark

ANA Symposium recap
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:58:41 pm »
For those of you who were able to attend the events in Philly this past weekend, I think a lot of us would be interested in any impressions, new learnings, etc that you could share with the board. This, of course, excludes any behavior or Pirate like shenanigans that would fall under the category, "what happens in Philly, stays in Philly"  ;D

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: ANA Symposium recap
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »
I've got (I think) close to 20 pages of notes from the various discussions and workshops.  I'm working on getting those scanned, but it's hard to do until the rugrats go to sleep!  ;-)

I'm also supposed to be getting a digital copy of the weekend's program of events.  I'll link to that as soon as I get it.

Hopefully others will post their impressions as well.  There were many from the discussion board there, including some I never got to meet I'm sure.  Overall, it was a jam-packed, informative weekend.  It's not often you find a medical conference devoted solely to patients, interacting with doctors and other patients.  I was surprised by how many of the doctors still offered conflicting opinions and blatantly showed their bias about things like radiation vs. surgery, etc.  Not sure why I was surprised, but I was.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:35:36 pm »
Katie,

Would it be possible to provide a copy of those notes?

Thanks...

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

krbonner

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 07:24:40 pm »
Definitely.  I'll scan them to a PDF file and post the link when I have them uploaded.  I'll be a few days, though!   ;)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:36:40 pm »
I'm surprised there hasn't been much feedback regarding this years symposium. Maybe everyone is hungover or something?  :D. Hope to get some scoop. I intend on picking up the mp3's when the ANA releases them but I'm sure that will be quite some time from now.

krbonner

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:25:15 pm »
A lot of people I talked to weren't going home until yesterday or today.  That's some of the delay, I think.  I have lots I'd like to comment on, and I'm trying to get my notes scanned but it's hard to have time with the two little ones around all the time.  Last night I collapsed at 9pm from the weekend turmoil, and I have a business meeting tonight.  And...  And... And...

::)

One of these moments I'll get time to breathe again.  And write something other than super-quickie messages...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

krbonner

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 03:36:07 pm »
OK, I have all my notes scanned and in a PDF file.  Anyone have a place to host it???

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

krbonner

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:02:12 pm »
I've got the pdf of my Symposium notes uploaded.  It's a large file, so be patient for the download.

http://home.comcast.net/~krbonner/AN_Symposium_Notes_krbonner.pdf

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:54:25 pm »
Katie,

Thanks for the file; I read with interest.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 09:50:41 pm »
Katie -

thanks for taking these notes for those of us who were unable to attend; lots of interesting information.  I'm looking forward to the Chicago meeting in 2009. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 10:33:45 pm »
many of us posted our thoughts and impressions in the community section.
Katie how'd you write so fast to take 20 pages of notes? 
My writing is so bad even I have trouble reading it  LOL