Author Topic: GK - how long off work?  (Read 3533 times)

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
GK - how long off work?
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:02:48 am »
 ;)  OK, seriously now --- I am plotting my course for Oct 2 GK - I will be going to Mayo on the 1st for appointments, GK the next day, and all I was told was take Friday off and rest over the weekend....  I am highly tempted to take a couple of days into the next week.  Y'all know that once you are back to work, you are indeed back, no whining allowed....  I am a little scared about that.   Anyone speak from experience???  Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn

kat

Re: GK - how long off work?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:55:50 am »
HI Joey

In my case I was lucky not to have any significant side effects after my GK . I only had a feeling which felt a little bit
like jetlag for about 3 days and could have easily gone back to work almost immediately after the treatment. At the time I was self employed and had kept about 6 days clear before returning back to my normal routine. At the time I was quite happy to have the rest and just chill out .

Regards Kat 
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:55:55 am »
I went back to work right after CK without a problem. But I have noticed that sometimes, with both GK and CK, radiation patients need a little longer to get going. They may experience fatigue, headache, dizziness, appetite issues, or wooziness for a while. I would suggest taking a few more days off, giving yourself a full week. You might be able arrange it so that if you are feeling well, you can return to work on Monday, but have the days off setup in advance just in case.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:19:49 am »

Having read all the possible symptoms that people have had after GK/CK, I informed my employer that I would be off for a week and a half (i.e. the week of treatment, which was out of town on a Wednesday, plus another full week) following the treatment, just to be on the safe side. It turned out that I didn't really need the time off at all, because physically I didn't experience any side effects whatsoever. It was like I never had treatment at all. My only minor discomfort was some swelling on the forehead because of the pins, and the left side pin side was sore (and still has a small scar, 4 months afterwards). I did need the time psychologically though, as I had been through a very rough and stressful time during the time before the treatment.
I still think it was a good idea to request the time off, because you never know and every person reacts differently. If you feel up to it, you can always go back earlier  ;)

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Joey

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:51 am »
Thank you all, in the interest of keeping it real!  I have been "cornered" by my supervisor as far as when I'd be back from this and I don't like making promises when dealing with the unknown.  Last summer I had to be off having a totally unrelated type surgery, and work called me every single day!  I am doing what I can to not let that happen again.  Marianna, I agree wholeheartedly with you on the part about psychologically stressful leading up to this....  It's been difficult keeping up with things and I don't feel that I have my typical edge going for me.  I've had to deal with Drs. and playing phone tag and leaving important questions about my brain as voice mail messages, all in the name of having to be "on" at work and not taking personal calls on work time.  I'm trying to keep my chin up, but sometimes the world is not kind.  Sorry for my rant!  I now have a better idea how to plan things, and now is the time to think about using those accumulated sick days.  Joey
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn

windy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 03:40:47 pm »
Joey,

Having just had GK, I would suggest taking the week off.  Following my GK, I had alot of head pressure around the pin sites and pain in my head area.  For me, it was not awful, but I really needed the week to feel more back to normal.  It took me about 10 days to feel more like myself.  However, please understand I am sensitive to anything affecting my body, such as prescription drugs, etc...  You may not need the time off, but then again you never know.  If you go ahead and block the time off at work, you can have a more relaxed recovery (if you need it) following your radiation.  I, too, felt I needed the time psychologically to get back to normal after the whole decision making process and the idea of having a "brain tumor".

* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

gordy

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:16:02 pm »
maybe i was just lucky. i had gamma on a thursday and went back to work that monday. didnt notice any difference in the way i felt. if your allowed vacation why not take it or take it day by day. good luck.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 12:43:01 am »
Here again, we all are different and our bodies react differently to getting "nuked" and to our meds.   I was very glad I wasn't working at the time of my GK. I don't know if it was more the effects of the steroids, but I was a mess that first week. Lack of sleep, mainly.  I never would have been able to have worked and done anything meaningful - like be in charge of anything important!  The doctor told my husband it would be about 3 weeks before I felt "normal" again.  It is a big deal to go through, and it does affect you in ways that you don't realize will bother you. Maybe. Apparently for some lucky individuals, life goes on pretty much as usual right afterward, but that wasn't the case for me.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm older or something.  It was a tough week, but I feel very fortunate that the doctors were able to treat me that way.  Time passed and I recovered.  Life goes on.  I finally got a decent night's sleep, and I remember being very grateful! 

But to answer your question....I'd ask for a week and then if you feel ok, go back earlier if you want.  Better safe than sorry.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Joey

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:55:01 am »
 ;)  Come on Sue, we're not older!  Just wiser.  I'm 46 and I swear it's hard to remember that sometimes.  I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks a couple of days is not enough, pity party notwithstanding..... it's good to hear from people who know.  I will plan to be off a week and a couple of days, just to be safe.  I agree, it is a big deal and a lot to process.  Although I have plenty of sick days to take, I will have forms to fill out for Human Resources.  The Director hugged me when I told her why I'd be gone, oh my.  People have a lot of pre-conceived notions about this, don't they??   My job is pretty stressful and now it's time to take care of me.  Best wishes everyone, Joey 

Sefra22

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »
I'll admit that I milked it a little. I could have gone back to work sooner, but I took 9 days off. I did have to spend the first night in the hospital (R.I. law), and traveled 3 hours each way. My pin sites were sore for the first few days, but overall I was surprised how well I felt. I didn't have to take steroids, so that might be a consideration.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:58:30 pm »
Joey, your GK is tomorrow already! Time flies, you know.  Let s know how you are doing.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Joey

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:28:56 am »
 :)  Thanks Sue!  I'm doing good, check my post in the Radiosurgery section - I'm very glad I took most of this week off, too!  I'm a little in awe of how fast the time goes.  I'll check in later.   Love, Joey