Author Topic: RETURNING TO WORK  (Read 2779 times)

jazzfunkanne

RETURNING TO WORK
« on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:34 am »
Hi, has anyone every returned to work after having a large AN removed 4+cm, i have read alot of stories but the AN seem to be smaller, they say the larger the AN the longer the post op effects, i still dont feel ready and i am coming up for 2 years post op, i think because i have  kids its a full time job looking after them.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Kaybo

Re: RETURNING TO WORK
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:41:58 am »
JFA~
I went back to work at three months.  I wasn't ready (looking back) at all, but my Dr. told me that the more I did, the better I get and I wanted to get better!  I had MANY complications but I worked with a WONDERFUL group of teachers that wanted to help me get better too!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:38:26 pm »
I had a 4 cm and I went back to work 6 months later. I mostly was a stay at home mom but 3 months after surgery I took the H&R Block tax course and worked the tax season part time. Now 4 years later my youngest is in 1st grade and I work 4 days a week as a special ed teacher. I'm not sure if I could handle full time but that may have more to do with having 3 kids.....:)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

konnie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:58:43 am »
pembo
i had a 4 cm AN removed 6 weeks ago and i can't see going back to work just yet. i have no complications after surgery, however
the fatigue is overwhelming. On top of that i just found out that i need to have gallbladder surgery due to painful gallstones.
 The AN doctor says 6 weeks of recovery and back to work.  I just don't want to go back too soon and get sick and
have to take off again.

Kaybo       God bless you for going back in three months. If i  didn't have this gallstone issue i might push myself to go back in October.  It sounds like you had a harder time around then i did. i shouldn't complain. But if any one has ever had gallstones
can relate that it is much more painful than brain surgery .
I hope to get this all resolved very soon and get back to the old me or should i say the new me.
konnie
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:31:31 am »
My tumor was 4cm and I went back to work two weeks ago, which would be eight weeks post-op.  The nature of my job is such that I can go in late, leave early on some days while working insanely hard on other days.  I probably could have waited another 4 weeks, to give the side-effects a chance to improve somewhat, but I was going crazy at home. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk more...
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Maverell

• Acoustic Neuroma and Me
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 11:30:17 pm »
I had a big tumour removed and went back to work after about 12 months. The main problem I had is that some of my employers expected me to be the same person I was before the surgery......

Mav

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:25 am »
I also was about 8 weeks ... but I was working at home 1/2 days the first week .. I was very luck I did not have to drive... wife's work was on the way .. so she just picked me up and drove me in for about 3 months...  those early days I would get home , eat a little something. and go right to bed !! ... I was beat ... but slowly ... about a hour a week.. I could stay up later and later....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

vjgfamily

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:03:05 pm »
I went back to work 2 months after my surgery, but this was 20 years ago.  I looked like a freak to some of them, I know.  But, I was able to maintain status-quo, and now I can say that I've been a systems analyst/consultant for 27 years.  But, people do look at (and treat) you differently.  You're still the same person you were before surgery...never forget that fact.

VERL
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.