Author Topic: AN Symptoms and Barometric Pressure  (Read 9504 times)

MissMolly

AN Symptoms and Barometric Pressure
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:43:24 am »
A co-worker and I had this discussion the other day.  Her husband has a 2cm AN on the left side but has chosen watch and wait.  I have a 1.2 CM on the left side and am heading for surgery.  Her husband has not symptoms (save hearing loss in that ear) unless the weather is rainy and/or stormy.  He feels pressure all over the left side of his head. My vertigo and tinnitus are unbearable when the weather's crappy.  My co worker showed me the "health index" on accuweather.com and said her husbands AN and her arthritis follow the index to the t.

I was wondering if anyone else had made this association?  Feeling crummy on this miserable, rainy day.

Miss Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

JudyT

Re: AN Symptoms and Barometric Pressure
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:00:31 pm »
I have learned to watch the barometric pressure in regards to the balance, headpressure/headaches, tinnitus etc. Last night here in central California we had a severe weather change accompanied by lightening,thunder,wind and rain......very unexpected, along with record setting temperature of 102. I had a huge swing in physical wellbeing as it approached and difficulty in going to sleep. Today, I am fatigued,headachy,tinnitus troublesome along with trigeminal discomfort. It does affect us I do believe.
Judy

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:41:41 pm »
Hi Miss Molly,

My husband actually noticed that my symptoms were worse when it's windy, rainy or cold. Here in Canada, it is just starting to get warm and hopefully symptoms will subside a little. I also feel the same pressure when I go into a mall. My ear starts plugging and I feel pressure on that side of the head, including numbness. I had a couple of days when the weather was really nice that I felt as if I didn't have an AN and even my hearing loss wasn't that noticeable. That didn't last of course. Hope this helps.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:54 pm »
Hey MissMolly!  :) Experiencing the same here (locally to you) and my body is totally retaliating!  Weather fronts moving through, rain frizzing my hair to no end.. and walking all hunched over and can't stand up straight without my cane. My head does funky numbers as well... some enhanced tinnitus, but no major headaches.

I know some websites, such as weather.com and such (and I thought Boston's Channel 5 may note it too, but I'd have to check) offer up "pain indexes".... showing how barometric pressures and weather changes affect the health (in all regards).  I follow it but only sometimes.. as my body ends up being the best barometer around :)  Heck, when I lived in ATL, after my back surgery and such... I once predicted a tornado coming through metro Atlanta.  Go figure... my leg went numb and guess what was coming our way? :)  Yup, you guessed it.

Hang in there... we are due for sun and warmth with low chances of rain this weekend :) Hope it gives your body a break! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »
Yes, I'm in the same boat! I've had this so long I thought it was normal. I guess you could say to me it is what's normal because I`m so used to it. Actually I`d be happy if everthing would just stay this way without getting worse. Waitin and Watchin, Mickey

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:37:49 pm »
My surgery was in Dec. and I am much more headachey and sore when we have fronts roll through. I can just about predict the weather in those cases!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:40:11 pm »
My co worker showed me the "health index" on accuweather.com and said her husbands AN and her arthritis follow the index to the t.

Molly .....

I'm going to have to check this out.  Nearly all of my adult life I would get headaches like clockwork whenever a weather system was moving in.  I used to refer to them as my "barometric headaches."  I still have them but interestingly they are much less severe since my AN surgery.   :o  Now I just deal with the increased arthritic pains .....  Oh well!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MissMolly

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 06:03:40 pm »
So it's not old wive's tale stuff.  I can't wait for the next clear, blue sky day so I can feel semi-normal again!!  I'm hoping some of this goes away post surgery. 

m
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

MissMolly

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 04:21:15 pm »
Its a clear blu sky today and I have felt almost normal!  Go figure.  I'll pray for sun.   ;D

Love these low pressure systems..if that is what this is..... ???

Miss Molly

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 09:48:22 pm »
Oh yeah- I often get "wonky head"   ::) when the barometric pressure changes  :P ... I noticed this after surgery. It seems however the 2nd day after the weather stabilizes ... I go back to feeling ok again.

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

JudyT

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:02 am »
Weather in central California is overcast/thunderstorms........headpressue etc. VERY present.......feel crummy.
Judy

Lilan

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 11:18:19 am »
The barometric pressure is TORTURE !!!!!!!!!  :P :P :P :P :P
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

MissMolly

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 02:37:56 pm »
Well, then.  I'm in very good company with this, I guess. I always feel relieved when it's not just my imagination.  It's getting cloudy and overcast here in NH. Looks like rain.  Dizzy as heck... tinnitus screaaamammammmming!!  Ah well.

Have a good one everyone!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 08:50:34 am »
No question about it. We have a built in weather station.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

JudyT

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:38 am »
Central California all cloudy AGAIN! Yesterday, clear and a good day.......Today...headache, ampted up tinnitus, balance GOOOOONE!!!!! Geeez....I am sitting here thinking perhaps I should have studied meteorology! Oh well.....I am flying to New York July 2 and going to Conneticut....hope eastcoast weather is good. In August I am going to Kauwii where it can rain in a minute from being sunny but strangely enough it doesn't bother me there. Flying doesn't bother me at all. In fact I feel better when flying.....even engine noise doesn't bother me. A couple of times I have had my AN side sinus/ear pop with a feeling of "opening up" sensation momentarily....but no head pressure at all. I use the "people movers" (wheelchair attendants) to fly through security and preboard....it's great! I generally fly alone and appreciate their help.
Barometric changes I now know do affect ones abilities and level of headaches and tinnitus. This whole
weeks outlook is overcast etc. So I will plan accordingly with a better understanding.
Judy