Author Topic: Price of MRI's  (Read 9555 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Price of MRI's
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:30:03 pm »
I've found that there is a really broad spectrum of pricing for MRI's of the brain.  Since we have a big deductible, I decided to ask around for the best price.  One place was $2500 and one place was $2100.  Then my friend had a sudden dramatic (as it turns out) migraine and since she'd never had one before she had an MRI at the new hospital north of here and she told me the bill she got was for $7100!  Yikes.  $5000 difference from one facility to another.  Double yikes.   How much was everyone elses's MRI?  Just curious.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Derek

Re: Price of MRI's
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:35:05 pm »
Hi Sue...

That is 'crazy' money!!

I cannot see how they can justify charging that amount. In the UK a full  MRI scan of the brain with contrast and carried out in a private hospital is £395, which converts to $771, and includes a full report from a neuroradiologist...quite a difference! Even at your lowest quote of $2100 (£1074) you could fly to the UK, have an MRI scan, enjoy a bit of a holiday and still have change in your pocket when you got back home! As for $7k+!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:25:57 am by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:41:24 pm »
I live in Connecticut.   The cost of my initial MRI (the one that 'found' my AN) was $5,500.  That was in May, 2006.  I had a $500. deductible. 

Once my deductible was met, I had a 10% co-pay to deal with from that point on.  Before very long, I had surpassed the $2,500. limit on 'out-of-pocket' expenses my policy dictated and Blue Cross paid everything connected with my surgery and radiation treatments at 100% - almost $100,000., including all the hospital charges and physician's fees.  I had two more MRI scans last year and I'm scheduled for another in April.  As this is a new calendar year, that means another $500. bill.  However, both my neurosurgeon and I want the MRI and I'm thankful I have the medical insurance that pays 90% of the huge expense incurred by having that crucial MRI scan (with contrast).   ;) 

Incidentally, most hospitals will accept monthly payments for their charges, as long as you can pay off your bill in 12 months (and don't miss any payments).  I'm doing this and I've almost paid off my obligation for the bill I incurred for my 2006 AN surgery, (the portions not covered by Blue Cross).  I was pleasantly surprised at the hospital's willingness to 'work with me' on my bill.  I can't guarantee that all hospitals will be as cooperative but it's certainly worth a try.   

Bottom line: MRI scans are expensive.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 01:59:20 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Obita

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 06:15:42 pm »
Hi Sue:

I just looked up my MRI from May 1, 2006.  The bill was $3,629.00 and Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MN paid $1,925.64 as their allowed amount.  This should be an interesting thread.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Chambo

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:38:31 pm »
Here in Australia, if you use a Public Hospital (even without private health insurance), an MRI scan is... FREE.

Speaking of which, just got my 6 month post op MRI results back... NO re-growth / NO residual tumor!

Oh, and the total cost of surgery by 2 of the best AN surgeons in the world, including a 10 day stay in a private hospital (with private health insurance)... $NIL.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:41:39 pm by Chambo »
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:15:46 pm »
You know this might be a good idea.  Take a vacation to England or Australia and have it done there!  Probably won't work for a non-resident, I bet.  But...wow.  We could have like, AN tours.  See Big Ben, Picadilly, stop off for our MRI's, and then a pub crawl!!  Or...Sydney Harbour, MRI's, a little shrimp on the barby, some Foster's.
Hmmmmm.  It's a thought. ;D

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:19:58 pm »
I want to book with Sue's travel agent   ;D
Mine typically run about 1200.  I can't imagine what they did for $7,100.  For that I want hot cute hunk, chocolate...oh wait that's another thread...oops so sorry   ::) :-*

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:28:17 am »
Okay, you made me actually laugh out loud!! 

;D ;D ;D ;D

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Derek

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 04:23:27 am »
Good news Sue...

Have just checked with the private hospital in England who carry out my annual MRI scans and they state that anyone coming from outside of the UK would be most welcome. All that is required (apart from the cost of the scan!) is a letter of referral from your doctor / consultant.

Shall I put the kettle on??

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:39:32 pm »
Ooo Derek.... a cuppa tea would be loverly!

Today I saw my doctor and we were talking about this, briefly, and he did say I could go to Canada and get it done there.  That's actually a realistic idea.  Of course, now, we have to go get passports to get to Canada now, but I could do it on the cheap and skip the "vacation" part of the trip, or combine it with a little vacation up there.  Might actually think on that one.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 07:25:33 pm »
Hi Again,

Suddenly it seems everybody I know is getting those darn MRI's!  My auntie had to have one done today on her leg.  So I ask the kindly folks at Open Advanced MRI over in Gresham, Oregon (That's Orygun, for the East Coast people!) what they charge for a full head MRI with contrast.  $1638.00.   She said, Oh don't ever have one at a hospital!   I also told my husband that I found out I can go to Timely Medical Alternatives, Inc in Vancouver BC and have one for $1269.69 US ($1475 CDN).  They would "most likely have you an appointment in less than 1 week."  Interesting.  Also, just for fun, I searched in Mexico and in Mazatlan, there is a clinic that many US residents go to and you can get an MRI for about $500-$600.  My husband said, "what do they do, take it with a polaroid?"   ;D

Guess I should have shopped around for MRI's.  Didn't occur to me to do that, however.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LS

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:32:08 pm »
Mine was about $2700 in Houston.
1.6cm diagnosed Feb. 9th, 2006.  The Woodlands, TX

matti

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:46:22 pm »
I live in Northern CA,  and go to a facility that only does MRI's and I pay around $1,900 every year. I did have one at the hospital and that charge was close to $4,500.  no chocolates or cute hunks either, and for that price I should have gotten a pedicure while I laying there >:(

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 02:10:14 pm »
Or at least lunch, a little California wine, a nice dessert, yeah, and the pedicure!

It's a crazy world.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Ingy M

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 03:10:11 pm »
EEEEEEEK  I cannot believe the money you guys are talking about.
As with Chambo in Australia, here in Ontario, Canada our medical care is also free. Diagnostic tests, surgery and care...free. HOWEVER, our system is backlogged. It can take up to 6 months to get an MRI. I live 2 hours north of Toronto and sometimes you have to tavel there for a test. Gee, I think I'd rather wait for a free MRI than pay $7,000 smackaroos for one straight away.

I don't know how you neighbourly American's do it..
all the best,

ingy