Author Topic: Research - peer reviewed!  (Read 2699 times)

Keeping Up

Research - peer reviewed!
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »
Alright you radiosurgery types - I will admit this does seem an agreeable solution for me, however, I remain cautious.

I have a very very very small AN (5mm x 8mm) so could have a lot of time on my hands - so why not do research.  So, I was wondering if you can all recommend some research re the long-term safety of radiosurgery.  I know many of you have posted the malignancy issue is 'hogwash' (love that word) - now I want to see the proof of it all.

I plan to write the HEI clinic to see if they will provide the references that are # in their blurb on their page re uncertainties wrt to radiosurgery (they # the studies but don't provide the footnotes), but would love to see the pro-radiosurgery long-term malignancy issue being insignificant.

I don't need the studies but the authors, titles of the papers etc. would be a great start - and will accumulate and go to the library one day - not sure which library but I should be able to find some sort of access somewhere - maybe my ENT will even provide some of the studies.  (He is going to send me some stuff so maybe I can get more!)

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Mark

Re: Research - peer reviewed!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:31:20 pm »
Short answer

GK was invented and used on AN's starting in 1969 which is nearly 40 years ago
GK first used in US around 1986-87 ( univ of Pitt) roughly 20 years ago
Average age for an AN patient is in the low 50's so getting follow up past 20-30 years given average life expectancy is somewhat unrealistic. Since radiosurgery now exceeds surgery (starting around 2003-4 it went over 50%) for AN's there will be a much larger sample going forward, but the number of AN's treated with radiosurgery was in the 10's of thousands worldwide last study I read.

The number of malignant transformation cases in the literature from radiosurgery is about 5-6 cases worldwide (discounts a study which included several treated by whole brain radiation which is a different "game", roughly the same number documented following surgery

It is hard to get anyone to produce clinical studies on something where there is no evidence of a problem. Said another way, where are the bodies given the above facts? if there had been even dozens of possible transformations then I suspect there would be studies to determine if they were caused by radiosurgery, but it's hard to produce studies when there is no evidence of a problem at this point.  ;)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:57:45 pm »
As Mark said, it is difficult to prove a negative, especially when there aren't enough cases to study. However, that won't stop me from trying. :)

If you are considering radiosurgery, though, it is worth taking a look at the serious literature on the subject. You can't go wrong to start off with U. of Pittsburgh and Dr. Kondziolka, who changed the perception of radiosurgery for many. The main web site is here:  http://www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/index.html

There is a wealth of good information there under various categories. It is worth noting that much of it dates to 1998, and includes a study of those treated between 1984 and 1992, giving them some 10-15 year results at the time. Some of those patients are near the 25 year mark now, if they haven't passed away from old age in the mean time. Many were treated under the old protocol, with a radiation dose twice what the standard today is. The reference list at that site includes many useful articles.

At the bottom of this page (http://www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu/or.html), Kondziolka says:
"Malignant schwannomas are rare, but have been reported de novo, after prior resection (34), and after irradiation. We answer that this is always a risk after irradiation, but that the risk should be very low. We have not seen this yet in any of our 5,400 patients during our first 15 years experience with radiosurgery, but quote the patients a risk between 1:1000 and 1: 20,000."

The next article, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17704364,  2007, was quoted by HEI in the last year as a way of warning people off of radiation, despite its actual content. Here are some quotes:
"There are currently 19 reported cases of tumors linked with stereotactic radiotherapy/radiosurgery, to which we add (one more)..."
Thats not 19 ANs; that is the number for all benign tumor radiosurgery treatments, worldwide, ever.
"The exact carcinogenic risk after radiotherapy is unknown but likely extremely low. However, the risk is not zero and requires discussion with the patient, with specific consideration in young patients and those with a cancer predisposition." 
Fair enough, as long as "likely extremely low" is part of the discussion.

A recent overview of radiosurgery, dated Oct 2008:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/857604-overview
"Eight case reports of malignant transformation of acoustic neuroma can be found: 2 followed external beam radiotherapy, 2 followed stereotactic radiotherapy, and only 4 were spontaneous. Although lacking statistical power, this comparison clearly highlights the greater risk of malignant transformation of acoustic neuromas following irradiation."
It clearly highlights something, anyway.

How many people have had radiation for an AN? This editorial, from 2006, says 21,000, starting in 1969:
http://thejns.org/doi/full/10.3171/jns.2006.105.5.655
This editorial is from the Journal of Neurosurgery, with a full reference section if you want to dig in. The response at the end concludes:
"The issue of malignant tumorigenesis has recently been the subject of much discussion. It probably exists but at a frequency tremendously lower than the risk of a serious complication from open surgery. Let’s use our hard-won microsurgical skills on larger tumors and accept the facts about radiosurgery discussed in our paper and many others."

It is worth noting that a malignant AN is rare enough that each case warrants its own published article, and as far as I know, no one has documented a case of someone dying from one, or of one metastasizing (spreading). In the end, it is up to you to decide if the risk is acceptable. If I ever get one, I will just have it zapped with CK. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:49:37 pm »
OK, here is a very recent article, reviewing thousands of patients with a long follow up period - I think it is the most convincing I have seen, because it reviews so many cases.

Rowe J. Grainger A. Walton L. Silcocks P. Radatz M. Kemeny A. Risk of malignancy after gamma knife stereotactic radiosurgery. Neurosurgery. 60(1):60-5; discussion 65-6, 2007 Jan.
OBJECTIVE: To assess the risk of radiosurgery to cause malignant transformation in benign tumors or to induce new malignancies. METHODS: A retrospective cohort study comparing the Sheffield, England, radiosurgery patient database with national mortality and cancer registries. This data set comprises approximately 5000 patients and 30,000 patient-years of follow-up, with more than 1200 patients having a follow-up period longer than 10 years. RESULTS: In this material, a single new astrocytoma was diagnosed, whereas, based on national incidence figures, 2.47 cases would have been predicted. CONCLUSION: No increased risk of malignancy was detected in this series, supporting the safety of radiosurgery. Pragmatically, in advising patients, the risks of malignancy would seem small, particularly if such risks are considered in the context of the other risks faced by patients with intracranial pathologies requiring radiosurgical treatments.

I do have the .pdf file, if you like to PM me with your e-mail address I can send it to you and save you from a trip to the library. ;)

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:38 pm »
Thanks everyone - mk, I will pm you my email address, I would like to see the article.

The research is interesting.  I think only a bit more research will be need to put me at ease about the malignancy issue.  Will need to continue the research wrt to other complications with all the different options.

As much as I am suppose to forget about this whole thing, I just can't!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:50:16 pm »
As much as I am suppose to forget about this whole thing, I just can't!

Okay, now I can really say welcome to the club!  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keeping Up

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »
Wow Steve - you outdo yourself - thanks a lot.  We should flag some of these posts because I can only imagine this question is asked over and over again every few weeks!

Ann

PS - more questions to follow!
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'