Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Mayo Clinic, MN?  (Read 3216 times)

firewalker

Anyone have experience with Mayo Clinic, MN?
« on: October 31, 2007, 12:47:32 pm »
I've been recently diagnosed with a medium-sized (3.3cm) AN in my right ear. After boning up (i.e. going to Acoustic Neuroma College) on what the heck these out-of-control things are and what my options are, I consulted with surgeons at Froedert Medical College in Milwaukee and with Dr Michael Link and Dr. Colin Driscoll of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I live in the southeastern part of WI (Milwaukee-Chicago) area and found little experience at Froedert Medical College in Milw (they don't even do the translab approach). The Mayo surgeons I consulted with have a surgical team experience with 250 ANs. I'm currently investigating surgeons and their experience for my area and understand that the Chicago Ear Institute would be another great place to investigate thanks to Jan in IL!

My options are radiosurgery or the translab approach which is what I'm leaning toward due to my current hearing loss in that ear (10% word recognition). I'm guessing I've had this for about 18 years because that's when I started reporting vertigo, headaches and hearing loss.  I'm of course very scared of the surgery (big ouch!!!) and plan on having it toward the end of Jan because my son is getting married in JAMAICA the beginning of Jan!

Does anyone have experience with either the Mayo Clinic in MN and/or surgeons Michael Link and Colin Driscoll regarding their AN? I definately felt taken of care with them and they provided me with a lot of info regarding ANs and the ANA. I'm planning on getting a free consult with House Clinic as well which I'm sure will confirm what I've already been told. Does House or Brackmann still consult and do procedures?

GREAT BIG SMILE for this forum and for ANA as a resource!
~Firewalker

2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

stein78

Re: Anyone have experience with Mayo Clinic, MN?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:05:57 am »
When I was researching surgeons, I spoke with Dr. Colin Driscoll on the phone.  I was very impressed with him and if I loved closer I probably would have had him do the surgery.  I went to Loyola for my surgery (only 20mins from my house) and saw Dr. John Leonetti and Dr. Douglas Anderson (they've done 1000+ AN surgeries together).  I was VERY impressed with them and had a great outcome (all good except for SSD).  You can't go wrong with either choice in my opinion.  Best of luck to you!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:00:42 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 09:29:27 pm »
I had my surgery at Froedtert Medical College in Milwaukee.  I had Dr. Friedland and Dr. Meyer.  Dr. Meyer has since retired.  I had the translab approach.  St. Luke's in Milwaukee also does radiation.  That might be another option to check out.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

kjmema

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:18:25 pm »
I went to Mayo's for other issues and was impressed with the clinic but if I had to have surgery I'd look into House Ear Clinic in LA. 
http://www.houseearclinic.com/   They are prob one of the best clinics and do a lot more procedures...Good luck.  Karen
left side AN 3mm IAC watch & wait hearing 100% balance slightly off

firewalker

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:52:32 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses! I consulted with Dr Backmann at House Clinic last week and was told my tumor was 2.8cm. So strange, I've been told three different tumor sizes so far by different surgeons. Will stick with the expertise of Dr Brackmann for he seems to have the most experience. To date, he told me he's done 3,000 translabs @ 150/yr and was Dr House's protege. He informed me that Dr House retired quite some time ago and that I would have to settle for second best, meaning him. I was very embarrassed that I had personally requested Dr House but extremely satisfied that Dr Brackmann consulted me. Very down to earth kinda guy. I'm sold on him but am concerned about the distance between Milw and Los Angeles, financially and psychologically. He gave me the best odds against facial weakness-who wouldn't want him?

Still not sure who I'm going with but will also check out Drs Wackym and Friedland at Froedtert in Milw. My experience is that they'll lean toward radiosurgery like Dr Sinson did in my case (he made that decision without even requesting a current audiogram!). I'm not interested in radiosurgery and want this thing gone for good!

Most grateful for your support,
~Firewalker
2.8cm right ear AN diagnosed on 10/10/07. Translab surgery on 1/30/08 with Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic, CA. Two tiny tumor scrapes were left to preserve facial nerve. SSD, Lagopthlamos with temporary facial nerve paralysis and some Trigeminal Neuralgia. Am improving every day.

Janice in Al

• Confirmed 4-5mm x 2.5 mm AN - Surgery, GK or CK???
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:27:25 pm »
Hello Firewalker, We have the same problem of distance to the well known west coast physicians.  I have located a Dr. Wesley Krueger in San Antonio who has done over 700 surgeries.  My sister happens to live there so that would be a plus for me. After reading his credentials on his website www.earsoftexas.com, I was very impressed.  He sounds like a a super doctor and was voted as one of America's best  in Neurotology & Otolaryngology by his peers.  Has anyone heard of Dr. Krueger?   He actually completed his Neurotology at the House of Ear in LA, and his Otolaryngology at , M.D. Anderson Cancer Institute in Houston, which is nationally known.   I wish you all the best luck in locating an excellent physician.    Janice
Janice
Dx 4-5mm x 2.5mm left AN on 7/8th nerve complex. 20% hearing loss so far. In W&W mode. Researching best txmt options/suggestions.