Author Topic: Schwannomas, cysts and nodes... hereditary?  (Read 4392 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Schwannomas, cysts and nodes... hereditary?
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:11:45 am »
Hey all... I have a medical question that I hope can be somewhat answered
I am trying to figure out if what I have "could" be hereditary.  Being, passed along to my 3 teenaged boys.
When I was 18 I had over 100 fibroid cysts removed from my right side off of my intestines.
When I was 35 I had nodules lasered off both my vocal cords that had grown there.
Now, I have a large schwannoma tumour growing on my vagus nerve.
Are cysts, nodules and tumours all of the same thing?  Such as the nf2 chromosome 22 that I have been reading on here?
Anyway, may be a long shot, but I am just looking to see if there may be some relation with the three and if so, if there could be a hereditary trait.
 ???
Forgot to mention, I also have enlarged nodes in the back of my neck as the mri shows and also along the front jawline.
Thank you all!  BIG HUGS
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:14:27 am by petgroomer »
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Schwannomas, cysts and nodes... hereditary?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:23:53 am »
Hey Rhonda.

Ya know... I've asked the same question about myself. I have had many benign lumpy-bumpies, some that have been surgically removed.. and my AN radiated.  I am dealing with one malignancy now, lost a sister to a malignant growth..... and watch my remaining sisters, not just endure some lumpy-bumpies, but other related medical ailments as well.  I know the Chromosome 22 issue falls in line with NF2 but am not personally aware of it creating these kinds of lumpy bumpies (maybe do an overall internet search on Chromosome 22 to get a better feel for it?) 

Growing up, there were many that lived in our neighborhood that died of ailments at young ages, so many of us from the neighborhood have spoken to see if environmental issues also were a factor. We do know that we lived in a "cluster" neighborhood (had come to find out of toxic dumping occuring approx 1 mile from our neighborhood with an underground water supply that fed our direction).

I'm certainly no doctor.... don't even profess to play one on tv. For my situation, it could be a number of reasons (hereditary, environmental, etc).... I couldn't even attempt a guess at it.  I know there are genetic tests that can be done for many types of ailments (ie: cancer, etc).... so, it may be worth a shot to have it done if you feel the need to find out.

Big huggles back atcha! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

Re: Schwannomas, cysts and nodes... hereditary?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:57:03 am »
Rhonda, while I have NF2, I have had no other tumors.       I haven't looked at much NF2 info lately but the www.nf.org might be of some help.      I know there are 2 types of it.  Gardner and another one that can not think of the name.   One is a version which gives more tumors and problems.         Jeff could give you better info as his family also has NF2 and he might see this or you can PM him.                        I did have long past menopause problems that I finally had a hysterectomy last summer.     I mentioned to Dr Slattery at the symposium if it was NF2 related and he said no to what my problems were.                      I do not think I had a family history of the NF2 but I have been told that my daughters have a 50-50 chance and since mine was an older adult onset than that's what theirs would be.                Is there any tumors in your parents or siblings?
  This also something that not all drs would have good knowledge of to get the best info.     I hope you can get some answers for this.                                   Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care