Author Topic: Post MRI Question...  (Read 2463 times)

michelle d.

Post MRI Question...
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:21:37 am »
I'm just wondering about the follow up MRI....realizing it's probably different depending on different situations, doctors, etc.  I had translab surgery Nov. 13th, 2009, with a few follow-up visits with surgeon--he said I was healing fine. Had post surgery MRI the last week in Dec. and went back to him first week in Jan.-- he showed me the pictures and said everything looks great and that he'd see me next year.  I'm so happy everything moved along so well, so quickly but there's a small part of me that feels as though this should be checked in on more than once a year, at least for the first few years....am I being paranoid or is this standard procedure?  Any advice would be helpful....michelle d.
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post MRI Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:33:55 pm »
Michelle -

this is one of those areas where docs have their own "rules".  I didn't have my first post op MRI until 1 year after my surgery and I currently have them annually.  Some doctors follow other protocols, and have their patients get MRIs more or less often.

I insisted on seeing my doc after my first post op MRI so we could go over the results - even though they were totally fine - but by the time I had my second one, a phone message from him telling me everything was great was perfectly acceptable to me.

I don't know about others, but each year I get a little more comfortable with the fact that my AN is gone.  I know I still have a very small chance of regrowth - I think it's 1 - 2% - and I still get nervous in the days leading up to my MRI, but for the most part I'm "cool" with my doc's annual "rule".

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:46:20 pm »
As Jan said, different docs have different post op ways of doing things.  I didn't have a follow up MRI until one year post op...didn't see the doc as he's in LA (House Ear), just a phone call to say all was fine and I won't have another one for 4 more years.  I'm fine with that, in fact, I very seriously considered not even doing the one year follow up, but figured I shouldn't be too stupid about it ::) 

Was your surgeon able to get all of your tumor or did he need to leave a small bit? 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:59 pm »
Hi Michelle,
I went for one right after my surgery for a baseline and then again at 6 months and then yearly.
At first I felt like you and was sure it needed to be checked more often but really I am happy to put it away for a year and concentrate on my life. Yes, I do think of it from time to time but I try not to stress and wait for the MRI.
Apparently it is a slow growing tumour so if there is regrowth I am sure that waiting an additional six months in the big picture won't really matter.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »
Michelle,

My first follow up MRI was at my one year post-op point also.  After that I was given the all clear until I hit my 5 year point.  At first I thought that sounded like a long time to wait, but I trust my doctor so I'll follow his advice.  I know that I ever reallly wanted one sooner, I'd just have to call him and he'd write the referral to get one.

I'd say as long as you're not having any odd symptoms, you're safe to follow your doctor's advice.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:59 pm »
Michelle,

I'm among those who had an MRI at the one year post-surgery anniversary and was told by my surgeon (at House in Los Angeles) that I wouldn't need to have another one for five more years. My surgeons had been confident that they had removed the entire tumor during surgery and I've had no reason to doubt their decision. I'm more than happy to follow their recommendation.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 02:27:06 pm »
Michelle ~

As the previous posts state, a 12-month spread between MRI scans on a successfully healing post-op AN patient is perfectly normal.  A year between scans seems reasonable unless symptoms kick in that would indicate a possible problem requiring an MRI.  After a few years, your doctor will probably allow 2 or 5 years between scans.  Trust your doctor and try not to worry.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:16 am »
I had my first MRI, the day after surgery. The second one at 1 year post-op. I saw my doctor every couple months for the first year, then every 6 months and now once a year. My doc seems to like to see his patients ALOT.
I skipped my year 2 MRI but had one at year 3 and 5.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

michelle d.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:47:03 pm »
Thank you all for your imput-- it really helps me to feel more at peace with the situation....and like someone stated, just to let go of it and live my life for awhile without worrying about it.  Thanks again--you guys are awesome.   :)
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old