Author Topic: Middle Fossa and Facial paralysis  (Read 7333 times)

marymomof3

Middle Fossa and Facial paralysis
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:40:12 pm »
Hi.  I'm scheduled for surgery this Wednesday and I'm starting to hit that panic mode.  My Drs. decided on Middle Fossa last week when they originally recommended Retrosigmoid.  I'm a little more concerned about facial paralysis.  Anyone have Middle Fossa and has any experience on facial weakness?  My doctors say there is a slight increase chance of temporary weknes.  But how temporary is temporary?
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Cheryl R

Re: Middle Fossa and Facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:17:17 pm »
My very first surgery in 2001 was mid fossa and yes I did end up with facial paralysis for 3 1/2 mos.  I did then end up with some tightness and synkinesis even after I had movement back but not real bad.                I had no dizziness, no headaches and was up walking day 2.   You will have a sore jaw with mid fossa so plan on soft foods for a while.             I had no appetite for  several days which makes it hard to eat as you need to eat with the pain pills.            I actually had very little pain.   Just more felt weak.                                My biggest thing is to remind people that don't push yourself.    You WILL feel normal again.          There will be the off balance feel which is different than dizziness and it will improve in time             I never really realized I had it until I walked outside.           
              Hang in there.      The pre surgery wait is the hardest part.
                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:55:03 pm »
My Drs. decided on Middle Fossa last week when they originally recommended Retrosigmoid.

Mary - 

just curious, did your doctors give you any reason for the change in plans?

I don't know much about middle fossa, so I can't tell you what the odds of facial paralysis are, but I had retrosigmoid and have no facial paralysis.  I had it for a day or two post op, but had a dose of steroids and it went away never to return.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:16:53 am »
Well they weren't 100% at my consult but said they were leaning towards Retrosigmoid.  I have very few symptoms - a little ringing in my ear, but the AN is 1.8cm.  I don't even notice any hearing loss, but I know that I've experienced some because of the hearing test.  They say that there are increased chances to preserve my hearing with Middle Fossa.  My husband reminds me that I've put my trust in these Drs and I have to keep remembering that. 
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:45:17 am »
Well they weren't 100% at my consult but said they were leaning towards Retrosigmoid.  I have very few symptoms - a little ringing in my ear, but the AN is 1.8cm.  I don't even notice any hearing loss, but I know that I've experienced some because of the hearing test.  They say that there are increased chances to preserve my hearing with Middle Fossa.  My husband reminds me that I've put my trust in these Drs and I have to keep remembering that. 

Mary, fast question. I never question anyone's decision re: microsurgery vs. radiosurgery and I may have missed this somewhere, but there is statistical proof of radio-surgery with higher hearing preservation vs. microsurgery... and am curious, esp. with a 1.8cm AN, why microsurgery vs. radiosurgery?  Again, sorry if I missed it in a post somewhere.... I try to keep up with all going on .....  In my case, as in many, radiosurgery saved all or most hearing (with a few rare cases, otherwise).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:49:14 am »
I also want to add that since I was later found to be NF2 that that may make a difference in the tumor and nerve which could contribute to any problems.            Also if there is enough tumor and nerve entanglement,no  type of surgery will alleviate that without some possible problems.      On thinking more on the subject I do know  some other mid fossa pts who have not had any facial problems.
   Everyones story is different and soon you will be able to add your own.       I can only relate what my own experience has been.
   A month from today I will having mid fossa on the other side so it has been on my mind also.
                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

jtd71465

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:45 am »
Mary-

When we consult with these Dr.'s the can't win.  If they don't suggest a micro-surgery method we are turned-off by them and look elsewhere.  If they give us a method and change their mind after the "real" consultation is done (neuro-surgeon and neuro-otologist) sitting together and discussing what is best for the patient we are left to wonder why the change of plans.  As I have said to you in the past, you have put yourself in a great position for success, now comes the (another) tough part....TRUSTING THAT DECISION.
Joe-

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:28:16 am by Joef »
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:49 am »
Joe is absolutely right - as I've said in many other posts, once you have made your decision - you need to have confidence in it and trust your "gut".

I didn't mean in any way to question your docs' switch from retrosigmoid to middle fossa - I was just curious to know if they came up with something that they didn't consider during your consultation or if, perhaps, you were having other symptoms which were new.  I hope you didn't think I was second guessing them.

Your docs are the "pilots" of your AN surgery; put yourself in their hands and let them do the job they are immensely capable of doing. 

You will do great, Mary.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Raven

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:49:08 pm »
Mary,

I had a very good outcome................I had bilateral ANs and had two middle fossa surgeries done in a span of eight days back in November, one on each side. It was hard to move the left side of my mouth and my left eye would not blink after the first surgery, started to get better after just a few days. No problems at all after the surgery on the right side.

John
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

marymomof3

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 05:10:04 pm »
Thanks again everyone....  1 more day and.... (gulp)
I can't remember who asked... but my main reason for microsurgery as opposed to radiosurgery is because I just need to have this out! No doctor I met with recommended it either.  I'm 36 and am a little uncomfortable that it hasn't been a treatment for more than 15 years.  I am the type of person that needs to know the AN is out of my head.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »
Mary -

your reasoning is totally understandable.  Although there were many things that made me choose surgery over radiation, having the AN removed from my head was a huge factor to me.  It's just what I personally needed to do; we all make our decision based on what we believe is best for us.   

Hang in there; you'll be a postie very soon,

Jan

FlyersFan68

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:02 am »
I can't remember who asked... but my main reason for microsurgery as opposed to radiosurgery is because I just need to have this out! No doctor I met with recommended it either.  I'm 36 and am a little uncomfortable that it hasn't been a treatment for more than 15 years.  I am the type of person that needs to know the AN is out of my head.

Mary, I agree.  Fifteen years is not long-term data for a young person whose life expectancy is 50+ years. The effects of radiation can occur many years after the procedure. Some surgeons aren't comfortable treating benign tumors with radiation on young people. It's been a hot topic for years. I was only 36 when I had surgery too. Anyway, all that jazz aside...  I am wishing you the very best possible outcome tomorrow. Take it slow. Recovery takes time.  Relax at first!! :)  Later, push yourself at times but know when to stop. Good Luck.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:18:16 am »

Hey Mary,

T'was I that asked... and truly.,.. thank you for sharing that. As a member of the ANA WTT list, many folks have noted exactly that to me (as well as my family upon first diagnosis.... "if it don't belong, get it out...") and I commend you for your research and becoming the best informed patient you can be to make the best decision for you.    Know that I'll be cheering you on tomorrow... sending the infamous "Beanie toots" and "healing huggles".

Onward and upward for you tomorrow... looking forward to having you join the "postie" status! Hang tough!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 07:40:59 pm »
Hi Mary - I had Middle fossa surgery in 1998. My doctor chose this approach due to the fact that my hearing was perfect and this would give me the best chance at preservation. Unfortunately, the tumor had wrapped itself around the facial nerve and in order to save it, my hearing nerve was sacraficed. Facial paralysis set in on day two, but within the year my facial function was back to 85% of normal and has remained such.

There are others on here that have had Middle fossa without any facial nerve complications.

Tomorrow I see my AN surgeon for my 10 year check up (a few months early) and getting my MRI.  I'm a little stressed  :(

Keeping you in my thoughts!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Desilu

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 05:51:41 am »
Hi Mary,

I'm a little late in responding because I just saw your post but maybe it will help to read after your surgery. I had middle fossa almost 3 years ago. I have no facial paralysis and I retained 85% of my hearing. I had some temporary paralysis for about 7 weeks and was back to work in 8. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Hope to hear from you soon about how successful your surgery was, always keep a positive attitude. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger