Author Topic: One Week Away From Surgery  (Read 6556 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: One Week Away From Surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:21 pm »
Darla -

hope your surgery went well and you're on your way to a speedy recovery.

Congratulations on being a fellow postie,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Darla

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 06:29:22 pm »
Well I must say it feels sooooooooooooooooooo good to be on the recovery side of this AN experience.  My surgery was 8 1/2 hours but I made it through just fine.  I did however, develop a CSF leak but I knew what it was immediately since I had read about it on this forum.  That seemed to be the worst part of the whole deal for me.  I had a lumbar drain for 4 days so that means no walking and very little movement on my part.   Needless to say, after 10 days in the hospital I was more than ready to get out of that place.

It will be 1 month on Wednesday.  I am feeling much better this week.  Headaches are not as frequent now and I am completely off the narcotics.  I only have to take Advil maybe once a day.  I'm not driving yet, but I am walking about 2 miles and that seems to really help.  Dizziness is still there somewhat but nothing I can't deal with.  I can tell my biggest adjustment is going to be no hearing in the left ear.  It is very annoying.  I hope this gets better but I don't know right now.  Too soon to tell.  Anyway, I feel truly blessed to be on the other side of this ordeal and I am getting stronger every day.

Thanks to all who sent their well wishes, you are all wonderful.

To Stacey:   I have been thinking of you since we had our surgery 24 hours apart.  I hope everything went well for you and I hope you are recovering nicely.  Please update us when you can.

Warmest regards to all

Darla

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 07:46:02 pm »
Darla~
I just jumped on the bandwagon of this AN Forum so I wasn't able to pray for you the day of your surgery, but I am glad you are doing well now!!  The SSD is an adjustment at first, but you get used to it.  I am 12 years out and do not have any device to aid the SSD -- it is just really not that big of a deal anymore!
Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or if you have any questions of what life is like "down the road!"
Kay
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

OMG16

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:54 pm »
Darla I am sorry to hear about the CSF leak and the stay in the hospital that was way to long.  I am very glad you are home now and doing well.  I have a cake waiting for you and we will have a party when you feel up to it.  I can sing to!  Please don't forget to let us know how you are doing in the days to come and don't forget to ask any questions that you may have.  Kissses to you forehead.  :-*  :-*  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:10 pm »
Darla -

welcome to the world of posties  ;D

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, despite some bumps along the way.  Progress postop can be frustrating and requires a lot of patience, but getting stronger every day is a good sign. 

I, too, became SSD on my left side after surgery so I can commiserate with you.  Some people get used to it as time goes on, but I can't really say I'm one of those people.  Everyone's different though; give yourself time to heal and get used to it.  If you find it still bothers you a few months from now you might want to look into options like TransEar or Baha. 

Jan
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:49:06 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways