Author Topic: One Week Away From Surgery  (Read 6558 times)

Darla

One Week Away From Surgery
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:26:48 pm »
One week away from surgery.  Getting VERY NERVOUS.  Procedure will be left ear, retro sigmoid, with a small-medium tumor.  My hearing is still very good in the left ear.  I know there are no guarantees but please will someone say a prayer for me to keep what hearing I have and to make it through without any complications.  Now that I am this close I am getting freaked out.  It has helped to read the posts from all of you on what to expect immediately after surgery.  I know we are all different but at least I have "something" to go on.

I just turned 50 on the 5th........some birthday present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need some words of encouragment right now.  :)

berniejfnp

Re: One Week Away From Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:43:48 pm »
Hi Darla,

I too was diagnosed with AN in the Left ear, small to medium size and retrosigmoid surgery recommended.  My surgery was 12/7/07 at MGH (Mass. General Hosp).  I had lost my hearing temporarily in August with some return of hearing before the AN diagnosis.  Currently, I have some hearing in the left ear but it is muffled likely residual from the surgery swelling.  At my follow-up appointment the end of January a hearing test will be performed.

I must admit that I had the same concerns you did regarding "keeping what you got", with regard to the hearing.  But I do keep this thought up front, if I had done nothing, no monitoring, no wait and watch, no gamma knife, no surgery, eventually, I would have lost my hearing and more.  Today I am one month post op, am walking daily with my golden retreiver, drove my car today for the first time since surgery, have very little dizziness and no pain.  Facial and eye lid complications thankfully are not issues that I deal with.  I will keep you in my thoughts as your intervention date approaches, you will do well.

Bernie

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:05:48 pm »
Hi Darla!  I hope you'll be using the next week to continue celebrating your birthday and doing something fun!    I was originally supposed to have my surgery last year on Valentine's Day.  My husband was happy about that because he figured it got him out of buying flowers and a card.  Fortunately for me, we had to postpone it a week because my surgeon's wife was due to deliver her baby that week! 

That week before can be very stressful.  Take some time to pamper yourself or do something special.  Hopefully soon you'll be well on the road to recovery and posting a message to tell us how well you're doing.  And of course, we'll all be praying for you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:14:59 pm »
Darla you have been added to my prayers.  I am wishing you a complication free surgery with a quick recovery.  If you are able to on Sunday have a pamper Darla day and spend the day with good friends and/or family members who are positive in their support and can help you get through the day.  Then finish the day off with a bubble bath and a good nights sleep.  Let us know how you are doing and maybe your husband can keep us posted while you are in the hospital.  I know I speak for all of us when I say we will be praying for you and wishing you well next Monday.  Take very good care of yourself.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

RE

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:15:22 pm »
Try not to think about the surgery.  That's what I did.  In fact my friends where calling me the night before my surgery to wish me well and I was grouting the tile in my master bedroom @ 10pm.  I had to be at the hosipital the next morning @ 5am.  I was very busy the week before my surgery cleaning the garage, cutting the grass, playing with my kids, anything to keep my mind off the surgery.  Good luck and you will be in our prayers.
Rich
5mm x 6mm left AN
Removed Middle Fossa 10/25/07
Levine & Haines @ U of Minnesota

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:00:38 pm »
Hi Darla, Lois White here, from Victoria Texas.  I have you in my prayers. 

OTO

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:57 pm »
Take a long relaxing bath or a long shower....   it will feel good...and really relax you.   Use all the hot water in the house.... Until you get out of the hospital you might not be able to take that long soaking hot bath...   that first shower after getting out of the hospital was great....  best wishes.  oto

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:53:06 pm »
Darla -

I can understand your nervousness; I had retrosigmoid (left side) at the end of May.  I have recovered very nicely and wish the same for you.

I will definitely pray for an uncomplicated surgery and a speedy recovery.

Please know that there are lots of us thinking about you and wishing you well.

Happy belated birthday,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jackie

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 12:42:06 am »
Hello Darla,

I just finished a prayer for your complication-free, speedy recovery from surgery! All of my best to you,
Jackie (in Oregon)
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:07:27 pm »
Darla, you'll do fine! The anticipation is the absolute worse! I just had mine done, Left, retrosigmoid, in October. I did have a CSF leak, but looking back, it wasn't bad at all! I remember the day before my surgery I would just cry!! I was scared! It's normal. That morning I was very calm. You'll get to a point where you just want it overwith & to get on with recovering! Best of Luck, if you need to talk email me! I'll turn 50 this year! I kept thinking I wasn't going to live to see my 50th!! Our heads sure do play head games!! I feel the stress has just been lifted off of my shoulders! You won't think about that tumor once it's out!! Just remember, you'll look forward to tomorrow, because you'll feel a little better each day. And walk as much as you can. It'll make a world of difference!! Best of Luck! Nancy

Darla

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 04:20:46 pm »
Thank you EVERYONE for your words of encouragment.  It helps reading that so many people have made it to the other side of this ordeal and I know I will too.
It is kinda funny that my business is becoming sooo busy right now that I can hardly keep up, but it is helping me stay distracted from the waiting game (at least some of the time!).  I truly appreciate you taking time out of your day to email and encourage me through this difficult time in my life.  God is Good!  I'll contact you all from the "other side" of this very soon...................................

Darla

OMG16

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 05:03:56 pm »
Darla I forgot to wish you a happy birthday!  It warms my heart that we are able to help others when they need it.  Please remember we are all pulling for you and wish you the very best.  Happy birthday from one capicorn to another and may you have allot of cake while celebrating your post op status as well.  White cake is my personal favorite and I will share mine with you.  If you let me know what kind is your favorite I will have one waiting for you and we can eat as much as we would like being a cyber cake.  16+
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

StaceyJM

• Surgery Date 1-17-08 / Left Retrosigmoid
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 05:07:46 pm »
hey Darla!

You and Me We will get through this........ God has big plans for us and just know that you and I will be having our surgeries within 24hours apart how cool is that??? I guess we are AN sisters HAHA!! JUst keep up your spirits and go have a massage! Thats what I am going to do and a manicure and a pedicure and I am also going to go and get a TAN so I will look healthy.... A great movie to watch is the Last Holiday with Queen Latifha in it... too cute and funy give it a try it will make ya think and really laugh!!!

Well I hope you stay Up Up Up!

:)

Stacey

Static

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:36:46 pm »
Do like everyone else says and try not to think about it, that's your best bet.  Just take things one step at a time.  You can handle this, you have to, and you will be fine.  We're all pulling for you no matter what!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

OMG16

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 11:14:19 pm »
Darla I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and hoping that surgery went well and that your recovery is quick and without complications.  Kiss to your forehead.  :-* 16