Author Topic: Delicate subject folks.. please keep within site guidelines, ok? Thanks!  (Read 13923 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Ok, I'm going to try to start this discussion as delicately as I can... and know this folks... since I start the subject and if it gets out of line, I can delete the thread, ok?  You know who you are and I'm REALLY hoping this stays on track and in line for those that are new to the site and  may need this info.

Ok... here goes.

Potty patrol. 

I know, I know, but needs to be discussed, as I found out this past week during my treatment.

All of us here have a common denominator... a thingy in our head that we need to (at some point) have treated. Now, regardless of the treatment method, whether micro-surgery or radio-surgery/FSR, whatever...... meds, diet, mother nature's lack of humor will get our GI tracts in a state of temp disarray.

Those of you that have had any kind of surgeries know that laying flat in a hospital bed does not help gravity and the process. Meds, stresses, etc also interfere.

As I have spoken to many of you this week, as well as my treatment team, there is one other common denominator that we have to keep in mind.  Cerebral pressure when trying to do our "business".  Can't have that pressure so when mother nature turns on our systems and we have to minimalize the cerebral pressure, it can make life's "activities" very difficult.

So, keep this sincere folks, as one that can relate to this issue all too well, what we can share with others to keep this in mind?  I know lots of fluid intake helps. Fiber rich diets help, avoiding food that "bind" helps.... my primary care physcian gave me a remedy of prune juice with a teaspoon of honey, heated slightly (I did 20 secs in microwave) certainly helped.  Some of you all have had to deal with this and there are many here that are prepping for treatments that this issue may not have crossed their minds. So....

if you have any remedies, please share... and folks, I'm watching this thread like a hawk! Trust me..... It'll go *poof* in a heartbeat if you all get outta line... you hear me? :)

Anyway, any and all remedies are welcomed.  Brain edema, during any of the treatment choices, is a very serious condition that we all have to be monitored... and the less "pressure" we can put on our brains during post-treatment, the better....

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stein78

Interesting topic, it doesn't bother me to talk about poop.  :D  Vicodin was the killer for me, bound me up like cement.  The only thing that worked was a tall glass of prune juice daily.  The stool softners and high fiber foods didn't seem to do anything.  After my first week at home, I switched from vicodin to tylenol and no more issues. 

Hopefully my response was appropriate.  ;)
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

ppearl214

• Administrator
Interesting topic, it doesn't bother me to talk about poop.  :D  Vicodin was the killer for me, bound me up like cement.  The only thing that worked was a tall glass of prune juice daily.  The stool softners and high fiber foods didn't seem to do anything.  After my first week at home, I switched from vicodin to tylenol and no more issues. 

Hopefully my response was appropriate.  ;)

Thanks hun for sharing this.. and keeping it clean... :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Raydean

This is an issue for surgical patients too since straining is a head pressure issue.  We were told to use a OTC stool softener found in many drug store and supermarkets.  Softeners just make things a little easier and are not laxatives.

Did i pass the clean test? <g>

Best to all
raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

Activia yogurt reallly does what it says!  It will keep you regular and it doesn't taste as bad as prunes! :P

ppearl214

• Administrator
Raydean, I knew I could count on you for an insightful reply.. thank you so much! :)

Batty, I heard about the yogurt and didn't know if it really worked or not (lactose issues here, can't eat yoghurt)... have also heard that Acidolphullus works to help keep GI bacteria in check as well... have used in the past via conversations with my GI doc... seems to help a bit but not sure if it would help in this kind of scenario.

Thanks all for keeping this in line. :)

Phyl

Battyp

Oh yeah the activia is suppose to keep you regulated...lets just say ONE small cup did the trick.  Not sure if the acidolhullus works to help that or not.  Warm water with lemon will though..that is why they tell you to drink hot tea or warm water with lemon in the morning.  Helps get things moving.  I know there are some natural stimulants sold at the health food store one of them being tea that a friend of mine swears by.

How are you feeling Phyllis?

ppearl214

• Administrator
thanks hun!  Was actually talking to CB this am about teas and such and never really made the correllation between hot water and lemon to help the cause either.  I know there are OTC stuff (Senekot was recommended by the local pharmacist who is not related as in Papa Pearl) as a natural agent, as well as Colace, but in speaking with my primary about holistic approaches, I found the prune/honey combo very interesting. Have spoken to a few folks here (post treatment and pretreatment) about this issue and I've heard about migraines occurring, those that don't know what to anticipate, etc... so... here's the thread.

I'm doing ok hun... day by day.. some issues, none major and need a slight readjust to my meds (having some reactions) but all in all, doing the best I can and taking it day by day. Taking tomorrow off so hoping one more day (in light of recent treatments and losses) will help my energy levels.... you are, as always, a dear to think of me. :)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Thanks for the thread, Phyl, since we talked so much on the phone about it yesterday!   ;)  It had been something that I had been planning on discussing with my Doc when I had the chance as I know that pressure would be bad....I'm sure we've all heard of patients dying on the toilet from blowing a clot straining too much.  I know my mom had a lot of trouble getting her GI track back up and running after surgery for uterine cancer, and was in pain for many days....so that made me think about what trouble that might be for someone who has more to worry about than blowing out a couple of abdominal stitches....especially since I know that sneezing, coughing, and the like isn't good...especially for translab patients (like I will be) trying to get that abdominal fat settled in the eustachian tube.  I think this is as good a subject to talk about as any other to help future patients out.  I think it's great stuff to know so we're not suffering alone!!! 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:30:34 pm by Gennysmom »
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
Ya know, Kathleen, was trying to help you as well... and yeah, we've discussed (unfortunately) too much, but a very real situation. Like you noted, I've been letting my seasonal allergy sneezes rip this week and coughing at a minimal (head pressure is definately talking to me this week).... and as for my "system".... oy. *plunks head on keyboard*   Ow.  :'( 

Has anyone tried Green Tea for this kind of situation? I can't drink it due to my GI issues but I know my Japanese folks in the office live on it and it's suppose to help as well... any teas better than others (Green vs ?).  Will also wait for CB to chime in on that one since he may have the UK tea remedy as well.

Thanks all for keeping this in line... oh, more than you know! :)

Phyl

wanderer

apple juice.

ppearl214

• Administrator
apple juice.

Ya know, wanderer, I was thinking the same thing.. the adage of "an apple a day..."... know it's rich in fiber and helpful... apple juice never helped me as such but the more I think about it....

thank you! :)
Phyl

nannettesea

Glad you're back on lone, Phyl.  Thinking of you all week.  Know each day you'll feel better and better. I am jealous you got this method, have been wishing I chose it instead!

Prunes/prune juice would be my first choice.  I ended up straining too much and had swelling/fluid buildup behind the ear.  I tried an enema with no success, just a gruesome experience.

Anything natural would be the way to go, first!  Colace did nothing for me.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

thecakes

Everyone is all different.  My mother who is 78 swears on an orange every morning will do it for her.

Battyp

Orange?  Hmm...interesting seeing how I'm from the sunshine state I don't think I've ever heard that.  I do know they are now selling and orange juice high in fiber which my son absolutely refuses to drink before school  lol 

Senekot is all natural and now that I think about it they did prescribe that when I left the hospital and I remember being mad because I kept telling the PA who discharged me I was not having a problem with that.  Mom bought it not knowing what it is...so who need some?  Unopened never used..think I can ebay it?  lol   ;D

Phyl, I don't know about green tea specifically for that just warm drinks in general.  Green Tea is an antioxidant so i can see how it could help.  Besides it's good for losing weight  :)  I do know an elderly friend of mine was having an obstuction and she used a tea from the health food store that did the trick.  I know she showed me the box but can't remember the name but I want to say it was an apple based tea and specifically stated on the box that it was a natural laxative.  She said it tasted good...I don't like funky tasting things. 

See I'm behaving!