Author Topic: Headcount of Forumites attending Cinci Symposium  (Read 49891 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: Headcount of Forumites attending Cinci Symposium
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »
Sounds like things went well and all had a great time!!

Congrats Mei Mei on winning the camera!  ;D
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Cheryl R

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:03 pm »
Mei Mei, I am back to cheaper hotels with computer use so get to at least check on here for the AN news.  Also have been in bigger rooms the last night and tonight.     So far Ohio has been fun and am in Amish area now.    So back home later in the week and can write more!
                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Mei Mei

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »
I miss all of you terribly.   It was such a wonderful weekend full of nurturing people and I'm not around that too often.  I can't tell you how good that feels.   My doctor was on the plane ride home and hardly said a word to me except when I went to the bathroom.  I saw him at the gate and decided to talk to him on board.  He wasn't interested.  I saw him when it was time to get the luggage out of the plane checked luggage and he ignored me and kept his cell phone close to his head.   Sorry I ever went to Johns Hopkins.   My biggest regret was that I didn't go to Dr. Friedman out at HEI.     I didn't have an aide I could depend on, but she's worked out and I trust her.  My doctor scared me and told me that I might have a stroke if I didn't do it right away.   This isn't what Dr. Selesnick told me up in NY.
That's why I moved so quickly with Hopkins.

Cheryl,   I hope you are having a nice touring vacation.  Amish country is full of nice pies.   Eat em up!
Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

ombrerose4

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2011, 08:02:25 pm »
This was my first symposium and it was amazing! Meeting forum people -Phyl, Cathy, Chery, Mei Mei, Clarice and so many others, hanging with my fellow ANA NYC members, sharing stories, laughing and most of all learning. I cannot believe how much information I came home with. My 2 15 minute sessions one on one with Dr.Levine for my eyes and Dr. Niparko for many various issues were invaluable. These doctors genuinely care! Oh, and of course Dr. Tew, who joined us for dinner one evening, let everyone share their headache problems and then offer lots of good advice.   Meeting the ANA folks, especially Judy and Melanie, who helps me with my support group issues, meeting with many other support group leaders- I am still overwhelmed with the experience. @Migdol- I am so glad you are continuing as a support group leader. Numbers don't matter, helping someone does:)

Starting my piggybank now for 2013 in LA:)

Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2011, 08:44:33 pm »
let everyone share their headache problems and then offer lots of good advice.   

Do you remember any of the advice and able to share??  ;)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

G_Man

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:22 pm »
Hey Phyl how about taking that "?" off my name now, ok"?"
It was great to meet you.
Glen
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2011, 03:57:40 am »
let everyone share their headache problems and then offer lots of good advice.   

Do you remember any of the advice and able to share??  ;)

I intentionally sat in on the Headache workshop, run by Dr. Brendan Kelley (UC Dept of Neurology).  He did explain about the different kinds of headaches and what kinds of remedies work for each type and how we need to work with our docs as each is unique to our own journeys... and when it comes to meds... and it total "trial and error".  *pulls out notes from workshop* He did note about life style modifications like proper sleep, eating properly, stress mgt, biofeedback, identifying environmental triggers, chemical changes in body (ie: menopause, etc).  He noted 3 basic types of headaches (tension, occipital neuralgia and cervialgenic -- upper neck)  and for us to work with our neurologist carefully to help identify what you may have and best ways to treat. I have more notes but not enough coffee in me to write it.

Phyl
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:06:22 am by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2011, 03:58:05 am »
Hey Phyl how about taking that "?" off my name now, ok"?"
It was great to meet you.
Glen

I'll think about it!  >:D

Phyl ;)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2011, 03:59:53 am »
I also found out that Phyllis wears the cruise director title very well.

The pink, bulky pirate t-shirt was my giveaway, eh matey? :)

Was absolutely terrific to meet you! :)

xo
Phyl

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2011, 04:00:54 am »
Recommitting for two more years as support group leader.

..... and I'm tickled pink to hear this! :)  Please give that lovely spouse a huggle from me as well.... and stop texting at 5am, will ya? :)

xo

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:19 am »
Mei Mei hon!

I'm sorry to hear this...... as you know, Dr. Claus was on my flight (she was right behind you in security line at Cinci airport!) and was tolerating me embarrassing her at the gate.... but also needed to speak to her when we landed in Boston... and gave her a big hug of appreciation for ALL she did this weekend.... and for me.  I know some of the drs pulled "attitude" this weekend but I found most were approachable, esp. when we had questions.  I'm sorry you ran into this...... but hoping the many hugs and smiles and shoulder pats and giggles I shared with you will help the cause. I'm tickled you got to speak to Dr. Claus (a goal of your's) and plu-eeeeeeze let me know your plans for Boston in 2 wks. I'll rally some of the gang.

Hang in there my beautiful one!  You truly are an amazing treasure and what a delight to meet you! :)

xoxoxooxoxoxo and all that gushy stuff!
Phyl

My doctor was on the plane ride home and hardly said a word to me except when I went to the bathroom.  I saw him at the gate and decided to talk to him on board.  He wasn't interested.  I saw him when it was time to get the luggage out of the plane checked luggage and he ignored me and kept his cell phone close to his head.   Sorry I ever went to Johns Hopkins.   My biggest regret was that I didn't go to Dr. Friedman out at HEI.     Hugs, Mei Mei

Mei Mei, I'm so sorry to hear your surgeon was so inattentive.  I ran into that same sort of 'uninterested' type of response from several other surgeon's I met.  One even told me, it's no big deal really.  What!?  I wanted to run out of that office.  In fact, I think I did.  I have to comment on Dr. Freidman ... isn't he the best?!  He doesn't come across like many neuro's.  He has personality galore and truly cares about his patients.  I feel so blessed to have had him on my 'team'.  Sounds like it may be time for you to start looking for another doctor.  Anyway, can't wait until next years symposium!  I sure hope nothing happens to keep me from coming.  I sure want to be there!! 

I'm enjoying reading all the updates and hope someone posts pictures soon. 

Cheri

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2011, 04:23:46 am »
Will do...about the huggle, but not about the texting (it was actually email). I'm definitely a morning type person. Up early but I fade fast after dinner.

Phyl, thanks for everything you do.

..thanks for being...t
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:50 am »
Good grief!!!  How did all of you have time to be on the forum during the symposium!   :o  When I wasn't hugging or being hugged, listening, or talking, I was asleep!!!

What an amazing time, as usual.  Yes, it was quieter in the sense of less mischief, but it was also rewarding and satisfying in a very new and different way.  Lest I leave someone out, I will not name names but the most rewarding part was reconnecting with and meeting all of you on the forum.  What an inspiration you are to not only me personally, but to many others as well.

Tim, I can fully identify with what you mean about if we only help one person, it is worth maintaining the support group.  I keep thinking someone younger needs to pick up the baton on our WV group, but until they do I will do my best to provide a safe haven for those who need/want it.

Just cannot let this go by .....  as Kay already knows I have a special attachment to Dr. Friedman ..... as I'm sure all of his patients do, I might add.  It is a rare surgeon who truly cares for each and every patient, while being an outstanding physician.  Not only did he treat me like a queen, but he was readily available to totally unknown patients and looking at their MRIs, etc.

Lastly, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know a whole lot of totally new people and spreading the word about the value of this forum.  Hopefully some of them will join us (or make themselves known) soon.

Hope to make it to LA ..... have to wait and see.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

skipg

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2011, 03:12:09 pm »
WOW, being a newbie and a forum lurker for 6 mos(this is my 2nd post) my wife and I jumped at the chance to go to this symposium.  It was all we could have hoped for and more. Questions were answered, choices were presented, and people were so affirming. Nice to see so many people in the same boat with such positive attitudes. Cant wait for the next meeting. Our only regret was coming in on Fri noon and having to leave at 11:00 on Sun. Thanks all for your help with everything we ANers have to go through. Good news upon reurning is from the Dr.....see you in 12mos for a follow up MRI. Exactly what we were told by the Dr's we consulted with in Cincy. Back on the Harley and still loving life.
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Mei Mei

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2011, 05:20:49 pm »
I'm still floating around and feeling empowered by being surrounded with all those people in the same boat.   Everybody that I talked with didn't need an explanation of what I was going through and have gone through.   It's been a long dark tunnel but we are making it with each other's help.  I'm thinking about each and every one of you that I met on the Forum and in Cinci.  including the wonderful docs that took the time and caring to come out and share quality time with us.   I'm going to try to get Dr. Ducic on the LA Symposium for 2012.

I repeat the voices about Dr. Friedman.   This was one of the few regrets I've had in life.   I went to Irvine back in 1989 to fix my paralyzed vocal cords and could have easily gone out to LA but I have this burden although I love him very much but I am living alone with my soon to be 97 year old father.   This wasn't the case back in 1989 when I flew on the red eye to meet Dr. Crumly for my vocal cords.   This is a caveat:  take care of yourself first and the support will follow.   My father would have done fine on the East Coast without me, but I didn't do that well on the East Coast for surgery.  HEI is cutting edge.

Hugs to all my AN Friends and Family,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh