Author Topic: Scientists warn US Congress of cancer risk for cell phone use  (Read 4688 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Scientists warn US Congress of cancer risk for cell phone use
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 10:26:31 pm »
Well Jim, now I know why I stopped visiting this website the last several months. One has an opinion and someone else wants to be pick it apart.

I'm sorry you're offended by my having an opinion that is contrary to yours.  If someone disagreeing with you about a contentious issue and doing so in a civil manner upsets you to the point of staying away from this forum, I regret that.  However, that regret does not bar me from quoting you - so there is no possibility of your comments being taken out of context or misunderstood - and stating what I think about your views on this issue.  That is what I did.  I get the impression that you wish to state your point of view and don't want to have it questioned.  That is a bit unrealistic.  When one states their opinion on a very public forum it is almost guaranteed that they will be opposed, no matter what the subject.  I know.  I've frequently had my opinions opposed on other websites, sometime vehemently with personal insults throw in. 

Frankly, I have no desire to debate, much less, argue with anyone, especially here.  This is a support site dedicated to AN patients and their families.  I respect that and I know you will, too.  Let's just agree to disagree about this cell phone issue and let it go at that.  Life is too short and we all have better things to do than bicker over some theoretical issue that neither one of us can solve here. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:26:33 am »
Well Jim, now I know why I stopped visiting this website the last several months. One has an opinion and someone else wants to be pick it apart.

Waypoint, back to your initial question, there has been some studies that say "men" should not put cell phones in their front pocket because it may do some harm....I am not going to keep my cell phone attached to my head!  I love having my cell phone I just don't use it up next to my ear, I use the speaker phone as much as I can  ;D

Hey TP,

well, I have missed you..... and tickled you are here to share your thoughts on this.  For me, I have learned over the many years of participating on online discussion forums that passions can run high on discussions... and this one (cell phones and cancer risks) has always been one of them.  This subject has been on this board for a long time and I share in one's passion as to how they feel about the topic.  We all can agree to disagree and if done so respectfully, it makes the discussion all that more exciting.  I reserve my comments about the topic at hand as I personally do not have enough facts behind the topic to be able to intelligently participate in such a conversation.... only my personal beliefs (which I will keep to myself).  No one is picking on anyone here, esp. in such a hotly debated topic.  I have learned that I can either choose to ignore a topic if I don't feel comfortable participating on the topic or, in a topic such as this where nothing has been "firmly" proven, I can participate, knowing others may chime in with a rebuttal to my comments.  I appreciate what you have shared... I appreciate what Jim and all the others have noted as well.  Please do not feel that you are being singled out... as you are not. 

As this is a hot topic at hand for the press, the medical community.. and us here, regardless if we agree with others or not, we know that we are all in tune to the topic at hand....we have our own personal beliefs regarding it based on what we have individually learned about it..... and heck, let the discussions continue as, for me, I learn from it in order to form my own opinion.

I appreciate what you have shared here.... hang tough...
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

dufreyne

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:43 am »
For those who are interested, I will be putting together a compilation of available, credible, peer-reviewed data that looks specifically at long-term (>10 year) cell phone use and incidence of AN, Glioma and Parotid gland tumors.  This will take considerable time, so please bear with me.  I'll post when it is completed.

Dufreyne--

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 06:33:20 pm »
What, D  ???

Between dealing with your AN  - and your day job - you don't have enough to do?  :o

If you can solve this issue, please move on to the economy next.

We're all going to "go" some day due to some thing - being hit by a bus, cancer from our cells phones, red dye # 2, old age - and when I do "go" I'd personally like to leave something monetary behind for my kids.

Jan, the droll one
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dufreyne

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 08:52:19 pm »
Dear Droll One:

Yes, I admit it, it is therapeutic to take my mind off surgery, etc.

Yes, we all have to die of something someday and there are tons of risks in life...but, that doens't mean science can't give us guidance in terms of risks, etc.  For example, smokers who continue to smoke know full well that they are significantly increasing their risk of lung cancer, emphysema, etc.  That is a choice--with information--and a risk they are apparently ready to take.  With respect to cell phones, the data is slowly pouring in.  At some point, there will be enough long-term data to know, with reasonable certainty, whether an increased association with certain tumors exists.  Prior members have stated that they want "proof of causation" before they will make up their mind.  That will likely never occur as it hasn't even occurred for smoking and lung cancer--only a strong association and an increased risk of disease. 

I confess that there are many variables at play here.  Many patients with tumors would like there to be hard proof of cell phones and cancer.  The industry, for obvious financial reasons, wouldn't want to hear that their main product causes tumors.  The federal goverment approved cell phones without long term data available and would also, therefore, be partially responsible for any consequences.  So, the biases are incredible and need to be taken into account.  As you know, as a patient with an Acoustic Neuroma, I myself, am not completely without bias, either. 

But with 3 billion cell phones in use in the world today and more children than ever using cell phones, this question deserves a well researched, honest answer about cell phone use and it's potential association with the 3 most likely tumors--Glioma, AN and Parotid gland tumors. 

In terms of the economy---I'll leave that one up to the bright accountants in this world!

Dufreyne--the sleepy one

lori67

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:35 am »
Jan, you might as well forget about it - your kids have already spent all of the money you will earn in your lifetime.   :D

And for once, I have a song by someone other than Jimmy Buffett running through my head....

"Everything gives you cancer..."  Joe Jackson

Sleepy D - that's great of you to offer to compile that info.  That can't be a small task!  Now, get crackin' on that, would you?  What else do you have to do all day?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:38 am »
When I got my AN I never used a cell phone. I have a cell phone now but rarely , if ever, use it—only for emergencies. Like my AAA card.

This is not to say that prolonged use of a cell phone could not instigate such problems.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 12:37:21 pm »
The wireless home phones are also an issue, right? My AN is on the side I used. I am not sure I feel the phones did it or not.

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK