Author Topic: Time to Act?  (Read 2923 times)

Lorbis

Time to Act?
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:07:57 pm »
I've been in WW for 14 months. Last MRI and appt were in May.  There hasn't been further growth, although there was more hearing loss.  The doctor said I could continue in WW and that I don't have to repeat the MRI for a year.

Lately however I've noticed some feelings of dizziness-just kind of a dizzy feeling in my head-no spinning sensations.  One thing I've noticed is that I'm tripping a lot lately-a stumble here and there.  Two weeks ago I tripped and fell while going upstairs.  More seriously, I tripped and fell on the sidewalk on Sunday while taking a walk with a friend. I fell hard and did a number on my knee (I'm ok).  I keep telling myself that I caught my sneaker on the edge of the curb, but I'm also starting to wonder if I'm having balance issues.  I don't feel off balance though.  Is this typical of balance problems?

schmidtkat

Re: Time to Act?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »
Hi Lorbis,

Balance issues seem to be common pre and post AN for many. The degree to which it becomes an issue is perhaps not as typical. Size of the AN does not always determine the extent of the side effects. My AN was discovered a year ago at 3+CM and the anniversary date of my surgery will be Sept. 2nd. I am still adapting to some balance issues, of which seem to be compounded in the dark, on unlevel ground or when on stairs of any kind. What has improved is what I referred to my family and friends as the sloshy feeling. I didn't feel like things were spinning, but sometimes kind of sloshing from side to side until they eventually leveled. You will likely find a multitude of information on this forum with varying responses regarding the degree to which balance was/is an issue due to ANs. All is very valid, so don't discredit your experiences as anything atypical. Balance issues are just one of many challenges that can appear with ANs. You have found a great place on this forum to ask exactly this type of question and get support from those who have/are "staggering" on the same path.
Kathy

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:51:57 am »
Morning,
As you will notice on here, symptoms will inpact us each differently and to differing degrees. I too was w&w for three yrs before surgery last Oct. Mine grew slowly but what prompted me to move forward was increasing symptoms,, from headaches , to that dizzy feeling in my head as you say, to where at the end I just wanted to lay still and not move as it was causing so much discomfort,, and hearing did get worse over the yrs although I still had good word recognition before surgery, also I did have the balance issues increasing. Feeling wobbly while walking and unsure of myself, I can't say I fell but that is only because I would be close to walls etc most of the time. Or had the dog on the end  of the leash to steady me....
If you have not explored a second opinion, I would suggest you do so.. at least for the increased knowledge from a different standpoint. There are several places that will consult over the phone with you after sending them a copy of MRI and any auditory reports.. most notably on here probably is House Ear Institute in La, CA,, I sent mine there and Dr Slattery was a wonderful source of knowledge and info.. just a thought.. a year will seem like a long time to wait if you think your symptoms are increasing.. I wish you the best,, and take care while walking!! No broken bones needed,,, :P  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Chances3

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:29 pm »
Hi Lorbis,

Balance is all connected between the vestibular, eyes and physical muscles.  Last week I posted a link to a web site on balance.  It's a very informative read, just do a search on this site of my past posts or in the balance category.

I hope it helps.