Author Topic: Tinnitus? How soon does it develop?  (Read 4482 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Tinnitus? How soon does it develop?
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:29:19 pm »
How soon post-op do you generally know how bad the tinnitus will be?  I'm...what...5 days post op, or so.  My tinnitus has picked up a tiny bit, but not too much.  Is it too early to count myself lucky?  I guess I've been waiting on the other shoe to fall.  If it matters, they removed the hearing nerve during my surgery.
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

tenai98

Re: Tinnitus? How soon does it develop?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:53:08 pm »
My tinnitus went away altogether except when i move my eyes to the left or right...its louder on the left (AN side) then the right...I do occasionally get the odd zapping electrical sound which only last like maybe 3 seconds at the most....so I count myself very lucky.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

moe

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:37 pm »
Hi Lawmamma,
My tinnitus  worsened after surgery, and is still the same.
SO hopefully what you have now is what you get. That is great news for you!
I haven't followed your surgery post, but sounds like you are doing VERY well.
Here's for a non eventful recovery. :)
maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:43:31 pm »
IMO I think it may do with how long the tumor has been pressing on the nerves. For us that has had AN's for years and didn't know it Tinnitus is a way of life at least it is for me. for me it rings when I wake up and most of the time is gets worst as the day goes on especially if noise (normal TV, radio, and of course industrial noise where I work)  induced.  Headaches increases my tinnitus and of course when I get migraine's  it's almost unbearable.  Hopefully you won't have to go through this at your younger age.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:18:36 pm »
Before surgery I was lucky in one way I had no hearing loss and no tinnitus but after surgery I lost 80% of my hearing and 2 months later developed the tinnitus and is driving me crazy.. I have been taking xanax suppose to help I'm not sure if I stop it might get much worse. I hope you progress without any complications and hope you enjoy your Holidays with your family.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:27:35 pm »
How soon post-op do you generally know how bad the tinnitus will be?

Lyn ~

The truth is that there really is no template for what (if any) level of tinnitus you'll have post-surgery.  Mine is low-level and didn't noticeably change after my surgery.  Others experience big changes and some small ones, if any.  "It all depends" isn't the answer you were looking for, I know, but it seems to be the most accurate one.  As for my opinion, I'm going to trust that your luck will continue.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Goldie

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »
I personally would take it as a good sign.  My tinnitus was less after surgery (I'm also SSD) and has remained at the same level, now 3 mo postop.  Here's hoping the same for you!!   :)

Denise D.

GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:31:22 pm »
I had tinnitus for about 3 years before my procedure, and it is roughly the same now as it was before I went in...not sure if it will get better as all the swelling goes down or not...we'll see in a couple of months, but at this point I can handle it being as I have had for so long already! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 06:07:32 pm »
Mine has pretty much been constantly the same since I woke up from surgery. The first week I had some additional "zapping" and "musical" type noises I don't have anymore, but the basic "noise" has been the same.

Glad to know you're out of surgery okay and here's hoping for an uneventful recovery!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »
I am of the opinion that there is no rhyme or reason to tinnitus.

I, thankfully, have never been a sufferer and neither my AN or my BAHA surgery changed that.

I think tinnitus falls into the "possibly" category for AN patients - along with diminished hearing, facial spasms, etc. - some encounter it; some don't.

I'm not a medical professional, so this is just my theory.

There is an article in the latest edition of the ANA newsletter "Notes" that deals with tinnitus written by a wonderful audiologist (who also spoke on the same topic @ the ANA Symposium).  From what I've heard, it's well worth the read.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »
Mine was worse after surgery but has steadily improved as the "fullness" subsides.  I'm writing it off to the fluid slowly draining out of the effected area.  It is slightly louder than pre-op, but nothing I can't deal with.  And, like before, it increases in volume when I'm tired or after exposure to loud noises.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »
Lyn .....

I really hesitate to say this, but you also need to know anything can happen ...... I had virtually no tinnitus prior to surgery, only mild immediately following surgery, but it has cranked up much worse in I'd say the past six months (over a year post-op).  Perhaps my age is a factor, but I know it is definitely worse when I am tired or stressed.  Most of the time I can re-focus on whatever else I am doing and ignore it, but when in an environment with much background or ambient noise, it is virtually impossible to tune it out.

Hopefully you will be one of the fortunate ones who escapes it all together!

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011