Author Topic: GK and Balance  (Read 2524 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
GK and Balance
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
Hi!

If you don't have any balance issues associated with your AN before treatment, then what are the odds that you would develop balances issues after GK?  I was told that there is a 1/3 chance of losing all of your hearing, 1/3 chance of losing some hearing, and 1/3 chance of retaining current hearing.  Was also told that it is rare for the facial nerve to be affected by GK. What about the balance nerve.....don't remember the doctor ever bringing up the odds.

Also, my one year anniversary of GK was yesterday.  Having my MRI next week.  Will the MRI show where the balance nerve has been damaged?  My balance test in July said my balance nerve has been compromised 71%.  I haven't had any post GK hearing loss, and my facial nerve has not been affected.  Just wasn't expecting any balance issues.  Have been doing vestibular therapy for about a month now....slow, but sure progress.

Thanks for any info.

Nancy

12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: GK and Balance
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:50:30 am »
Balance loss is calculated by tests that they give you, you won't be able to see a balance loss on the MRI. 

Do you get an annual hearing test as well?  The best way to see change is to also have an annual hearing examination.  The MRI can be off a few millimeters due to different radiologists reading it.  I wouldn't suggest any major actions/decisions based upon a few millimeters in change (if they say its slightly bigger). 

I lost 90% of balance in my left ear (determined before GK treatment).  I haven't seen any changes since my treatment in 2003.  At my last checkup my doc did a few tests to show some interns about how AN patients react to certain visual balance tests.  You can read my post about it at the following link:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10280.msg118392#msg118392       

If you haven't had a balance test, ask the doc to schedule one.  Knowing where you are in balance and hearing loss will aid with the MRI to determine how your actually doing.

Hope this helped.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: GK and Balance
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 08:00:14 pm »
Thanks Gary for the info.  I had two balance tests before GK, and they were normal.  I had another balance test three months post GK, and it was also normal.  Then another balance test 9 months post GK, and it showed 71% loss in the vestibular nerve.  Since GK I have had three hearing tests which showed that I haven't had any hearing loss post GK.  Getting anxious about the upcoming MRI.  I assume this is a normal reaction.  Hopefully I will be posting something positive once I have the results of my MRI next week.  In the meantime I'll continue with the vestibular therapy with the hope that things will start to even out.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs