Author Topic: Camp Lejeune Water  (Read 2254 times)

ataylor

Camp Lejeune Water
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
I have been visiting this sight for some time. It is very comforting to know that there are so many others out there experiencing the same thing. I'm wondering if I have another common bond with anyone.....has anyone here lived at Camp Lejeune? I know that they say they're not sure what causes ANs & that they are relatively rare BUT I noticed an unusually high number of people mentioning ANs on the Camp Lejeune Water sight. Just curious.

(Note: For those of you that don't know, Camp Lejeune is a Marine Corps Base that had contaminated water for many years & it is all just coming out in the public in recent years.)
Rt side AN (size never specified on any MRI or post op report despite repeated inquiries). s/p gross total resection of the tumor 1/10/2012 via rt transtemporal retrolabyrinthe & retrosigmoid skull base approach with Dr. Fukushima (Duke Raleigh Hospital)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Camp Lejeune Water
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »
Hi ~

There are a host of speculations regarding what causes an acoustic neuroma to develop but as yet, no definitive answer.  Cell phones are often pointed to but studies are inconclusive.  Because ANs were discovered and operated on (usually unsuccessfully, then) well over a hundred years ago, I remain a skeptic of the AN-cell phone correlation.  Other possible causes often mentioned are loud noise (I seriously doubt that one) and diet.  Tap water as a cause of developing an acoustic neuroma is a new one but as good as any other, I guess.  I'm sure science will figure out the real trigger for AN development some day but until then, the best we can do is deal with what we have, the best way we can.  That's what we try to help AN patients do here. 

Thanks for joining us (but sorry you had a reason to do so).

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.