Author Topic: strange pain under my ear  (Read 4028 times)

mlj

strange pain under my ear
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:42:31 pm »
Hi, I guess I am an oldie with regard to ANs.  I had translab done on 4cm 12.5 yr ago.  I had a clear mri 5 yrs out and then boom - 2.3 recurrent AN by 9.5yr. out.  I had gamma knife this time.  One year after gk I started experiencing terrible pain directly under my ear - a weird place.  It has been going on for over 1 year now.  I've been to several prominent drs. and all agree it must be nerve damage.  I've tried different meds but nothing seems to help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: strange pain under my ear
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:03:38 pm »
Welcome, mlj ~

I'm glad you discovered the ANA website and the forums but I'm dismayed to read of your re-growth after almost a decade and now, pain following GK treatment to address the re-growth. 

I'm not a doctor but I would offer the suggestion that the pain may be caused by swelling, which can occur for some time (years) following radiation treatment.  I had FSR 3 years ago and occasionally feel some swelling (on the mastoid bone) that is uncomfortable but manageable with Ibuprofen.   It usually dissipates within a few days.  You might try this for your pain.  It's OTC and if not taken in large doses, shouldn't cause any problems, but again, I'm not a doctor and could be mistaken.  You might want to phone your doctor's office and ask if taking Ibuprofen is recommended for you in this instance. 

If this pain persists, I would consider asking your doctor about steroids to help alleviate any possible swelling that might be occurring.  He should be familiar with this and not have any reservations about prescribing the steroids, but that, of course, will be between you and your doctor.  Whatever you chose to do, I hope the pain subsides, either spontaneously or with the help of medication.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

bern

Re: strange pain under my ear
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:26:35 pm »
I had ear pain before my an was found. Since gamma knife -18 months ago, this pain is now chronic. It is under my ear. I went to an oral surgeon and ruled out tmj.  I went to a neurologist and he said it was a headache that has settled there. I think it is my tumor.  No one believes that theory.  I also am suffering from tinnittus. (sp?).  And the deafness is worse.  I am feeling despair esp with the ringing and pain.  I too need some advice.