Author Topic: Does Mid Fossa surgery cut your muscles to the jaw?  (Read 4306 times)

BlueSky

Does Mid Fossa surgery cut your muscles to the jaw?
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:37 am »
I am wondering about this because I can only chew with one side of my mouth, it's a structural issue my molars on the other side have never touched. My whole life I've been only able to eat with the right side. Unfortunately that is the side that my AN is on. So eating with the other side would be impossible. I'm wondering if I need to take this into consideration when doctors recommend a surgical approach.

Chances3

Re: Does Mid Fossa surgery cut your muscles to the jaw?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:44 am »
Hi BlueSky,

I had the mid fossa approach.  It's right above the top of your ear, basically the side of the skull, sounds scary, but it's the best chance of hearing preservation if your tumor is small.

God Bless

wwarr

• Attitude is everything =)
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:11:09 am »
I had a middle fossa approach and they were able to save my hearing and my facial nerve.  They do cut the temporalis muscle and I admit it was sore but it was totally worth it as they needed to for that surgical approach.  I would discuss your concerns with your Doctor.  I know how hard the decision making process is and wish you all the best!
4 mm x 8 mm 12/08
1.4 cm rt. AN middle fossa on 7/23/10
hearing and facial nerve preserved. Grateful for brilliant surgeons Dr. Friedman/ Dr. Schwartz @ HEI in LA, CA.

post op chronic headaches
”Faith in every footstep...let go and let God”

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:01 am »
Yes, they do cut a muscle...what happens is basically you'll only be able to open your mouth not more than a thumb width for a week or two, but then it magically just starts working again.  I never noticed any soreness, but of course that whole area was numb so it maybe could have been.  So, it's not so much a one sided thing that doesn't work, rather than the whole jaw. At least that was with me...your results may vary! :) Hope this helps!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:51:17 am »
I just had the middle fossa and my jaw is sore but it doesn't prevent me from eating on that side. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 04:54:07 pm »
The same with me.  I can only open my mouth so far.  It still is very sore and gets more sore when eating.  It doesn't prevent me though.  Kind of wish it did.   :)

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie