Author Topic: Newbie - Scheduling up a date for a tweak under the hood!  (Read 4402 times)

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
Newbie - Scheduling up a date for a tweak under the hood!
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »
Hello one and all! I have been reading and lurking in the background reading new and old on a fairly regular basis.
I was diagnosed December 21, 2010, at the unveiling the little fella came in at 1.75 x 1.75cm. I have gone through the process of assembling my Dream Team of Dr Barker and Dr Lee, destination MGH Boston. It has been decided we will try to save what hearing is left and go retro!
Given my youngest son is a high school senior varsity hockey and lacrosse player and I just love watching him shine, I decided to postpone the big event until June. This will also allow us to enjoy his graduation and our annual trip to Cancun in May.
My initial thinking was once I completed doing all the planning I would put it out of my head and not give it another thought! Well so much for happy thoughts! As some grumpy old men once said "you can "crap" in hand and wish in the other and see which one fills first". Oh well it's not snowing out! 8)
No worries, I am not alone I have my good friend Mr Tinnitus constantly calling (shrieking in my ear), the occasional fullness pulse and the occasional loss of balance upon a quick turn of the head.
Seriously I have a very supportive and compassionate wife, sons and many family and friends in the area. Still playing hockey and going to the gym daily.
I am waiting on the confirmation of my June date, I hope it does not conflict with the Celtics 18th World Championship victory! Sorry LA probably never Miami! Well it took me awhile to post and I definitely have said enough, for now! Be well!
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Newbie - Scheduling up a date for a tweak under the hood!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 07:56:53 pm »
Hi BostonBill and welcome to this forum of caring, supportive friends .....

It sounds like you have a terrific attitude about this whole thing, which will put you miles ahead during this four month wait and your post-op days.  I firmly feel that keeping the emotions in control is so important to a successful result.

Ummmmmm, Cancun ..... that sounds wonderful!

Ask away with any questions you might have or at least keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »
Hi, Boston BIll - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums.  Thanks for posting. 

Although you apparently have some problems with tinnitus and are experiencing intermittent ear fullness and balance issues that are, unfortunately, typical for AN patients, you seem to have a concrete plan in place for your surgery and are confident about your medical team, all of which help foster a more positive AN experience.  I wish you well and hope your son's team wins big!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kenneth_k

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:44:06 am »
Hi BostonBill.

Welcome to the forum. I hope all goes well.

Best regards, Kenneth

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:23 am »
Hi BostonBill and welcome. Well, as another "Bawstonian" here (as there are many)..... good to have you here and sharing.  Well, for me, my dream team is the 2011 BoSox and teams at Beth Israel/Brigham Woman's and I do know that your dream team is also excellent, as many here on the forums have used the same dream team! :)  You're in FAB hands at MGH/MEEI.  Cancun sounds great after this dreadful winter we have had so far and since you were just diagnosed.... doing what you need to do first before your surgery sounds like a terrific plan.

If interested..... in April, we have an "ANA Discussion Forum 'Apple Dumplin' gang Brunch" in Worcester.  Please look in the "ANA Local Support Group" forum and you will see the brunch thread there. Many local AN'ers that attend and you are more than welcome to join us, to first-hand meet many that were treated by your dream team at MGH as well as many others.

Go Celts! Go BoSox!  Most of all, Go BostonBill and keep that attitude up! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:29:19 am »
Hi BostonBill!

I love your sense of humor - it will definitely help!    It's hard not to think about what you have planned for the summer, but I'd say you're doing the right thing by keeping busy and "normal" but I'm a bit jealous of the trip to Cancun.   :'(  I was there years ago and it's so nice and warm and peaceful...Ahhh....

I haven't been able to join the Apple Dumplin' Gang as I'm in VA, but I've seen pictures of said apple dumplin's and you DEFINITELY don't want to miss out on that.  Oh, and there's some nice people there too...   ;) 

Welcome to the forum.  Don't forget to have them rotate your tires for you while you're up on the lift.

Lori
p.s.  GO, YANKEES!
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

BostonBill

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:31 pm »
Thanks for your kind words and support!

I will look into the Dumplin Gang thanks, good know.

Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

BostonBill

Re: Got my date today!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:01 pm »
Got my date today, June 15th! Twelve weeks and counting.
Going to try to focus on all the other good things going on in my life. Like my promotion, my youngest son's varsity lacrosse season and graduation from high school, my oldest sons graduation from college and Cancun!
What's going on June 15th?? See already off of my mind!! But not out of my head :o

Mark241

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:50 pm »
Great attitude Bill, enjoy!
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

RichB57

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:40:40 pm »
I know I'm a little late coming to the party, but like you I've been lurking in the background a bit.  Good luck with your surgery.  Maybe we should compare notes after you're done.  Barker & Lee are taking my little alien out on April 20, if everything goes according to plan.
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.