Author Topic: Restrictions lifted and nervous....  (Read 1589 times)

Jwh

Restrictions lifted and nervous....
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:50 am »
Hi all,

I just emailed my doctor to see when my restrictions could be lifted.  He told me at the 4 week mark which is this Monday!  He said I can resume all normal activities......

So - this is my question, why am I nervous about that?  You would think I would be over the moon!!  Instead I'm sitting here and worried about it????  Is this normal? Shouldn't I be eager to get on with my life?  I told him my son is 25 pounds and I would have to lift him in and out of the crib (his response - no problem)!

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

JohnnyDiaz

Re: Restrictions lifted and nervous....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:53 pm »
My Dr. said - as far as lifting goes, no more than 15 pounds the first month.. When I would try to lift something heavy I felt like a stretch on the side my surgery was on. I am now about 5 months post surgery and feel way stronger but I still struggle with deciding to lift very heavy items. I would say 3 weeks is kinda short for anything over 20 pounds. just my 2 cents....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:07:12 pm by JohnnyDiaz »
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:23:58 pm »
Jen;

I would suggest that you attempt lifting your son from his crib - and see how it feels.  If you sense a 'pull' or strain at your incision site, you'll know that he is likely too heavy to lift right now.  Perhaps in another month you'll be able to lift him easily with no strain, but until then, let your body's reaction to what you lift guide you.  In essence, use your doctor's permission to lift as a proposition - but certainly not an order. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
Hi Jen,
I was just wondering about you.

I've pondered this type of ___week anniversary thing. I thought at two weeks post op I'd feel a certain way, esp since I had felt a little better the day or two ahead. instead i got a big headache/neck ache that took forever to go away.
Then, for some reason, I thought 3 weeks was like the magic number. For what, i ask? Like I'm really going to be back to 'normal' at three weeks! For some reason, i had that in my head as a milestone. Well, three weeks was yesterday. I had been two days without a headache then had a killer one last night! I guess when i have a few 'good' days then a set back (or just completely tired lay around day), then i think something is wrong with me. I need to follow the advice here of people saying 'take it easy; it takes time, etc.' I'm doing well in so many ways i suppose - still have the facial /eye issues, but am walking and even running a little (slowly).

Maybe I'm being way to analytical ! but when we hear things like 'ok, no more restrictions' we maybe feel like 'i should feel fine then; and what if i don't and am still having good days/ bad days.' oh i don't even know if what i'm saying makes sense!
My doc just told me to do certain things when i felt like it. sometimes i'd rather have the restrictions - maybe they give a bit of comfort and structure.

I wish you well and hope you're feeling better all the time.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jwh

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:52 pm »
Thanks for your replies!  ;D

See I really have no choice but to lift my son in and out of the crib since my mom will be heading home.  She's been with me for a month already  ;)  Maybe I'll give my son a little step ladder  ::)  Just joking!

Jen

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:43:43 pm »
I used my face flushing as a measure of whether or not I was over-doing it.  My son is around 40 lbs, and I've been picking him up since about 4 weeks post op.  Didn't have a choice, he was about to barf in my car.  LOL  But it didn't bother me, so I quit worrying.i

Vonda

Jwh

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »
Thanks Vonda!  That makes me feel better  ;D ;D

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »
It definitely felt funny for me to lift anything (like laundry) for about a month.  But after that I was good to go.  Don't let fear rule you--and listen to your instincts.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jwh

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »
Marci your right, I think that fear is ruling me - grrrrr!!  I better get my act together and get tough.......................

Keri I hear what your saying about "when restrictions are lifted" I should feel 100%.  Certainly not the case, as my stamina is not so good yet! 

Jen

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:32 pm »
I remember my doc saying the same thing - at 4 weeks, no more restrictions. I just listened to my body, and gradually lifted things heavier than my restrictions. I wouldn't stress about it too much. (Honestly - I stress about WAY too much, as I did about this. Just not worth it). You'll know if it's too much.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.