Author Topic: W&W --> just over a year now  (Read 4451 times)

Keeping Up

W&W --> just over a year now
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:25:45 pm »
Had my latest ENT appointment, shifting doctors again, but am now with the lead in the practice, and one of the most experienced in the region (you Toronto General types know who I am chattering about).  This doctor is very nice, and very well researched on watch & wait so I remain happy.

Well, the MRI results are in.  The MRI was in late January, and the end of one of the most stressful weeks I have ever (I was responsible for a large system conversion that was burbing a bit).  That MRI machine, at 10:30pm on Friday night was the most peace I had had in days.  Fast forward three weeks, I had been way too busy to even run up to the hospital to get my CD so didn't know the results.  The sucker hasn't grown at all, the doctor would even suggest it may have even shrunk.  With 1-2mm as variable for measurement, the same size, or slightly smaller is equally possible.  Again, no contrast, and this little tumor is clearly seen with the naked eye.

So, off the hook for another 18 months.  I will get a MRI in July/August 2011.  I am happy with that schedule as I believe in the research done by this practice - I have a very good shot that this tumor may not grow for many years (or ever) despite my age (38 now!), and I am no worse off doing nothing until it does grow as not certain hearing preservation is better off with treatment vs nothing at all.

So, apologies if I am missing in action.  I do check in every few weeks.  PMs (if anyone feels the need) do hit my gmail address so can respond.

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

tenai98

Re: W&W --> just over a year now
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »
Great news Ann
I just received news that mine shrunk...heehaw....
was 16mmX8mm and now is in at 13mmX7mm
same machine...Hoping the sucker dies off
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »
Hi, Ann ~

Thanks for sharing that fabulous news!  I'm delighted to learn that not only has your AN not grown but may actually be shrinking.  Wow!  Prayers are answered.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:03:41 pm »
Ann -

this is fantastic news!

Hope there's no growth on your next MRI either.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »
Great news Ann, I am really happy for you. And next MRI in 18 months, wow, this means that your doctor is quite confident about the AN not growing anytime soon.

All the best,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »
Great news Ann,

We in the W and W love that result of our MRI'S. Blessings to you for continued success of no growth!!!

Jackie in Beaverton
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

opp2

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:03:24 pm »
That is fabulous news. I'm very pleased to hear it. Have a great 18 months  ;D
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:13:52 pm »
Great News Ann

I also continue to W&W, next MRI is in October!!

Best wishes

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:51:24 pm »
Hi Ann,

Great news. Hope it stops growing altogether.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:20:47 pm »
Great news for the W+W brigade! Keep up the good work and stay healthy. Who knows? maybe some of these AN`s  just reach a certain point and stop. Its worth a chance, maybe someday research will get to the bottom of this mystery. Best Wishes, Mickey