Author Topic: New--I have a few odd symptom questions!!!!  (Read 2300 times)

sue1234

New--I have a few odd symptom questions!!!!
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:30:50 am »
Hi!  I started having tinnitus in my left ear about 15 years ago.  I went to an ENT, had the MRI, and everything looked good.  So, no AN.  The years go on and I get real sensitive to sound in that ear, such as not being able to use a phone on that ear.  Then, 10 years ago I pretty much quit driving as it seems like--let me TRY and explain--you know when you get drunk(old college years!) and your eyes don't focus too well??  Well, that's what I feel like trying to drive(and, definitely not a drinker anymore).  It's like I'm having to constantly try to bring my eyes back onto the road.  Sorry this is getting long, but I just want to know if others have had the same or similar issues.

In the last few years, I've had a brain MRI, as they were looking at my pituitary for issues I have with getting lightheaded when being up and walking around.  After I sit back down, I'm not lightheaded anymore.  Would a brain MRI have seen what was going on at the ear area, or would they have had to look specifically at the ear area and enlarge that area to see an AN?

Lastly, over the last five years or so, I get really dizzy if I have to watch a train go by(live in a small town and have a train that runs through the middle of town.  I also can't watch tv shows that constantly have the camera "moving" during shots like on the show Boston Legal.

Thanks for all of your patience.  I have not pursued having my ear looked at anymore because once I was told a long time ago that I did not have an AN, I just figured that was that.  But then came some of the "woozy" head issues, quit driving, can't watch moving targets, etc.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: New--I have a few odd symptom questions!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:04:36 pm »
Sue1234,

First of all, welcome to the forum.  I'm glad, at least so far, you haven't been diagnosed with an AN.  A couple of questions...  Did the brain MRI you had include a gadolinium contrast?  That's really the "gold standard" for detection of an AN because they stand out like a sore thumb.  Case in point:

(My brain MRI image)

With contrast, AN's really brighten up.  So, to answer your question, if there was an AN then a brain MRI with contrast would definitely show.  It would show the ear area as well.

When was the last time you had an MRI done?  It's very possible that if it's been awhile that another might be in order.  AN are typically slow-growing, so it's possible that you saw symptoms when it was very little and the techs/doctors missed it early on. 

I hope you find answers. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »
Sue ~

Hi, and welcome.  I'll simply concur with Brian's ('Pooter') observations that you seriously consider having a 'new' MRI scan with contrast.  I'll venture to add that your vision issues could be related to your eyes and not necessarily your brain.  However, these are fairly complicated issues/questions better answered by trained, licensed medical professionals.  I hope you'll be able to find answers soon - and I hope having an acoustic neuroma isn't one of them.  However, if it turns out that way, we'll be here to help and support you in any way we can.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sue1234

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:05 pm »
Yes, my MRIs were done with contrast. 

Brian, I can see where an AN would definitely show up!  However, on my MRIs, I don't recall seeing my "ears" showing on the outside like yours.  Could it be possible my brain/pituitary MRIs didn't go at that level?  I have no clue myself, I just don't remember seeing my ears.

Thank y'all both for your quick responses!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:35 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of MRI's outside of my own, so I can't really say whether it would include all the way out to your ears or not..  However, I do know that when mine were ordered, the doctor specifically requested the "IAC" (inner-auditory canal) on mine.  It's possible if you want to include the ear area that you can get your doctor to specifically request that area.

I'm with Jim that I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), and these issues are relatively complicated and need to be discussed with a medical professional.

Personally, I would think that if an ENT ordered the MRI, that likely the area involving the ears was included.  But, that's just my humble opinion.  Can you contact the center that did the MRI and get a CD of the images?  That way you can look through yourself to see what was there and what was not.  I wouldn't trade your observations/opinions over that of a medical professional trained to look at MRI images, however it might give you peace of mind that a particular area was looked at or not.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:39:26 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of MRI's outside of my own, so I can't really say whether it would include all the way out to your ears or not..  However, I do know that when mine were ordered, the doctor specifically requested the "IAC" (inner-auditory canal) on mine.

Like Pooter, my MRIs (my diagnostic, as well as the 2 I've had post op) were done with specific instructions about the IACs.  And as he mentioned, gadolinium contrast is also important. 

I don't know if viewing the IACs on a MRI of the head is standard or not, but you may want to ask a doctor (like Jim and Pooter, I'm not one either)  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways