Author Topic: BAHA procedure done today!  (Read 5488 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
BAHA procedure done today!
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »
So, the surgical part is over.  I was worried about having my head totally covered....I am very claustrophobic.  It worked out well.  They left me a "tunnel" to see through, and I was in a twilight zone most of the time.  I felt them shaving my hair and I heard them drilling, but I had just enough medication that I didn't care!  My cousin took me out to lunch on the way home, and I know I got a few strange looks with my "BAHA cup" velcroed around my head! At least it has two happy face stickers on it!  It was hard to find a comfortable position to lie in when I got home, but finally slept for a couple of hours.  A friend brought me chicken soup tonight and now I am ready to try to find a comfortable position again!  Glad this part is over and will count the days for my 90 days to be up.  Then the processor and then hearing!

Thank you all for all your support and encouraging words.  It helped tremendously!
~Dale~   :D
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: BAHA procedure done today!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:32:48 am »
Great news, Dale! Can't wait until your BAHA is activated.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:01:19 am »
Glad that part is behind you, Dale!  And I hope the 90 days 'til "Gotcha Day" goes by quickly!

Welcome to the club!   :)

Lori
p.s.  I'm a little jealous that I didn't get any smiley face stickers on my bandage..... :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:41:50 am »
Thanks Sara and Lori.  I do feel like I am a member of a club now! :D
~Dale~
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:17:04 pm »
I will meet with my surgeon next week to discuss a BAHA so I am very anxious to get your thoughts.  Please keep us posted.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:28:58 pm »
Dale ~

Congratulations - and may the time pass quickly until  your processor is installed/activated.  I'm sure you're going to be delighted with your BAHA, just as so many others have been.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:37:10 pm »
Thanks to all.  Brewers7, feel free to send me a private email and I will be glad to share any details of this experience with you. (dale@dalebarnesrn.com)
~Dale~
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:38:02 am »
I only got one smiley face sticker on my "hat"  :(

Dale -

the countdown to BAHA Gotcha Day will go fast and you'll be "snapping" on that device before you know it.

Brewers -

the BAHA is phenomenal.  There are lots of posts on the Forum (just search on BAHA).  Another great resource is the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com)  - it's another free Forum; check it out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:41 am »
hope things go well and you are hearing better soon

me ... I am still waiting to win the lottery so I can do BAHA ...just haven't been able to bring myself to buy the  tickets  ;D
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:56 pm »
Soundy, are you sure insurance will not cover it?  Let the doctor's office give it a shot and also go to the Cochlear website, as they can also provide help.  www.cochlearamericas.com.

Hope it works out for you!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:49:57 pm »
Another milestone today.  First post-op visit.  The plastic healing cap is off and I can wash my hair...Yeah!!!!!  Still feel a "tight" sensation where the post is implanted, but I think that is part of the healing process.  Back for a re-check in two weeks.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 05:31:41 pm »
Soundy -

the great people @ Cochlear can help you with insurance issues.  They have some wonderful information on their website - and are more than willing to give pointers and advice to BAHA candidates.  I was just at a Cochlear Event today - I helped train some of their audiologists on programming the BP100 - and they know the issues patients typically encounter when asking for coverage.  Seriously give some consideration to contacting them.

Dale -

glad you've reached a milestone!  It's all downhill from here.  The only issue I remember after I had my cap removed was intense itching while my site was healing.  If this happens to you, try ointment with zinc in it.  It should give you some relief. 

Also, don't be concerned if your abutment seems to "sink" in the site and get closer to your skull - this is typical.  I remember being concerned that my abutment might be too close to my skull, but my doc assured me it was just fine.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brookes

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:11:36 pm »

Brewers -

the BAHA is phenomenal.  There are lots of posts on the Forum (just search on BAHA).  Another great resource is the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com)  - it's another free Forum; check it out.

Jan

Just an fyi:  While this is good advice, you need to be a little careful.  There are about 145,000 posts on this board and a search on 'baha' alone will return you about 1500 of them.  Better to be a little more specific when you search:  comparison, price, insurance, noise, are all good key words to add to the search.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 08:30:50 pm »
If you have no desire to view all the BAHA posts, please feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.

Or don't hesitate to start a thread with a specific question or topic.

Jan

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:40:42 pm »
Jan, I DO have a lot of itching also.  It started before the cap came off!
Tarzana, CA