Author Topic: How quickly did you "wake up"?  (Read 16510 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
How quickly did you "wake up"?
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:18:16 am »
Just curious, how quickly did everyone wake up after your surgery? What was your first thought? The first thing you saw?

Just curious because after my first surgery I was out for almost 3 days because of complications and I don't really remember the instant that I woke up. I'm heading inti stage 2 surgery within the next year or so, and just wanted to get an idea on what to expect.

Thanks!
Scott
---------
3.5cm AN Partially Removed
10/7/04 Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI
Dr. Pieper & Dr. LaRouere

heyyouconnie

Re: How quickly did you "wake up"?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 06:12:20 pm »
Oh I remember. I woke up and thought, "These damn doctors haven't even started the surgery. I will have to go thru all these doctors poking me again with needles." And then I realized that they had finished and I had a huge bandage around my head. Then I got dizzy and threw up water everywhere. I hated waking up, really. Then I passed out again, and found myself in intensive care with some nurse trying to lay my head down on the insition (sp) and trying to brush my teeth. I was in surgery for 12 hours, and I guess I had dry mouth, and the nurse saying, I would like my teeth brushed. What was really funny, was while I was in intensive care for 3 days, I had the temp in the room at the very lowest it would go, about 55 degrees. And me laying there with just a light blanket on me. Why??? And the nurses were always so cold when they came in to see me. I even asked if they could turn down the temp for me, and they said that was the lowest it went. Funny.

What do you mean that you are heading into stage 2 surgery. What else are you having done?! 

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 07:27:15 am »
Well, In my first surgery the could only remove about 70% of the tumor, so I have to do it all again so they can get the rest, because, it will eventually grow again and being that I haven't turned 30 yet, I still have some life in front of me ...

Kim

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 09:37:26 am »
Time sure flew for me, but not for my family; I was in for 12 hours.  When I awoke, it seemed as though it had just started.  My husband was holding my hand, telling me it was over and they had gotten all of the tumor.  My kids were all there; each hugged me as best they could with all the stuff on and around and hooked to me.  They say I smiled at them.  I don't really remember the trip to my ICU room.  Didn't sleep much that night; bits and pieces.  Nurses frequently checking on me, asking me questions.  Electric massagers on my legs, med students peering at me.  Nauseated the next day; up and around the next.

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 01:23:20 pm »
heyyouconnie-My husband tells me that I had the hospital room freezing cold as well. I wanted it colder too. He said it was really hot outside and yet he had to bundle up to come see me. It must be a reaction to all those drugs that made us so warm.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

heyyouconnie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:19:20 am »
Pembo, yep, must be those drugs! ...and I had a fear of overheating and getting a headache from it (I do that in the best of situations). Sounds funny, a headache over being overheated, when I had just had surgery on my head. He had to bundle up? hahaha and the nurses too, I bet. Mine would come in a rub their hands together to warm them up before touching me.

msuscottie, oh man, only got 70% of it. Damn! yes, you need to go in again, thinking about your age, but you are a brave person to face all that again. We do what we have to do, don't we. My sister got a knee replaced, and dreaded having to go in and do the second one. She waited almost 2 years to do it. I have to get my knees replaced too, but I just keep putting it off, hoping they will come up with a easier process. My dear, good luck on the second surgery and be brave. God only gives us what we can handle, and I always say, He must think I am made of steel. You too.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 09:50:34 am »
Just curious, how quickly did everyone wake up after your surgery? What was your first thought? The first thing you saw?

I woke up in ICU. I think it was near 8:30 pm. My surgery began at 6:30 am. My family told me surgery was 9.5 hours long. The first thing I remember seeing was all the monitors and all the things I was attached too...very frightening.
My very first thing to say, believe it or not, even at 49 years old, was "momma". I vaguely remember calling out for her a few times before she heard me and let me know she was with me. I couldnt focus very well and didnt really want to open my eyes much. I did see my mom, my sister, and my two daughters. They told me all information the doctors had given them...that the tumor was actually growing on my facial nerve, that my acoustic nerve was undamaged, that the nerve monitors showed some remaining movement in my face but that I probably would have permanent paralysis.
The strangest thing I recall was laying very still and feeling my hearing fade away, feeling my face grow weaker by the minute. I was thinking "I wonder how many more times will I be able to smile?"
My head hurt really bad and like many others here, I had terrible nausea each time I was given intravenous medications. Most of my pain meds were given by injection in the tops of my legs.(My doctors said it was a good way to monitor my pain response and that the meds would be more effective adminstered in that way.....OUCH!!!)
I have nothing but praise for the nursing staff during my 3 days in ICU and my 4 days in intermediate care. They were wonderful to me. Each morning during the entire stay I would be checked over by 6 to 7 doctors with what I felt to be "no stone unturned". Every possible problem was checked out. After reading some of the posts here I feel so grateful for my care and sooooooooo angry at the lack of care others have recieved. Post-surgery is a very scary time. How sad that many are left alone during that time.

Scottie I wish the very best for you and really admire your courage. Please keep us all posted. My thoughts are with you.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:56:34 am »
 :) Oh.......My room was freezing too ;) but I still thought it was too hot!! :-\
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Susan

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 05:57:32 pm »
Remember my husband coming in for about 2 seconds that evening. On second day I remember nurse brushing my teeth and making me turn on my side. I wanted her to leave me alone. Second evening woke up and and threw up. Third day I was awake and felt alot better.
Small AN removed by Middle Fossa July 2005. Balance nerve removed. Hearing somewhat damaged. Other than that, doing great.

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 07:31:52 pm »
I remember waking up with that stupid intubator in my throat and strapped down in retraints.  Which of course made me freak, gag and puke.  I apparently didn't wake up right away so they left the tube in for precautions and they strap your hands down so you don't grab it out. Good thing they did cause I sure as heck tried! 

I remember just being happy I woke up!  Next thing was tumor completely gone then the nurse yelling don't move don't move you're going to stroke out as my blood pressure went crazy. 

I kept complaining it's hot..everyone else's teeth were chattering.  Laughing a lot too.  Major happy swing :o

Funniest thing was I had saved a banana from my breakfast tray because I was always so hungry.  Well, decided I wanted that banana and couldn't find it and remember loudly telling my mom that the stupid nurse ate it.  I was so irate..heck I was on a decadron starve!  When they finally moved me to a regular room (was in ICU for 5 days) they found that banana in a pan rotted  LOL  My Mom kept asking me if I still wanted that dern banana  ....OOPS :-[

Scott best of luck to you.  I know it's got to be mentally hard to go back in for round 2!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 08:17:09 pm »
I  became aware of things in the evening of the next day, my surgery was 15-16 hours long. When I woke up my father and sister were there calling my name. I tried to talk and then realised I was on a respirator. I have very little memory of "awakeness" in NICU but when I was awake I was fully aware of everything going on around me and able to communicate with people by gestures.  That was the first AN surgery.
Then second AN surgery was much shorter and I woke up in NICU again with my family there and no respirator. I was able to talk but quickly keep falling asleep. I was kept pretty well medicated. I was given less medication the day after and was up outta bed the day after that and on the move.
I remember each time one of my first thought was "I lived!", the first time around with being on a respirator, one of the next thoughts was "$%@&, what now?"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

sunshine16

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 12:06:30 am »
I woke up and I was already in the ICU.  My first word when I woke up was, "Water"  "I want some water, I'm thirsty."  I remember the nurse calling my name and asking me to open my eyes and saw this annoying very bright flashlight right to my eyeballs =).  She told me that the doctor was able to removed the whole tumor. She gave me a couple of ice chips then I started throwing-up.  The next two days in the ICU were nothing but tortured. Looking back, I'm kinda proud of myself.  I guess I under estimated myself. 3 weeks in the hospital seems like 3 years. My husband and I spent our Thanksgiving there.  Good thing that St. Vincent's cafeteria foods are good!!! Pretty Cheap, too!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:22:36 am by sunshine16 »

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 08:38:51 am »
The first thing I saw when I woke up was my glamourous cousin hovering over me with a concerned look on her face and saying,"do you know where you are?" "No" sez I. "Who the hell are you?" The whole room cracked up.

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

thecakes

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 10:43:58 am »
   I woke up 4 weeks latter.  I went in a comma, so I don't know of any pain. ;D

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 07:29:35 pm »
Hey B.P.........

I woke up the same way, after 13.5 hours in surgery in the ICU with that damned feeding tude down my gullet and my arms in restraints. Couldn't utter a word because of it even though I was in pain and needed drugs. The next day they must have freed my arms from the restraints because the first thing I did was pull that feeding tube out on my own. The nurse walked in and freaked, "You're not supposed to do that!" I had to. I couldn't breath properly with it in there. It was like that scene in "The Matrix" when Neo wakes up in that pod and pulls that tube out of his gullet. What a trip!!! I paid for that one though. They didn't feed me for four days until I could prove that I could swallow food. I survived for four days on the I.V.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.