Author Topic: Thank you Caregivers  (Read 65 times)

DanFouratt

Thank you Caregivers
« on: May 27, 2024, 11:14:03 am »
To the caregivers. Last fall I was focused on my AN.  This spring I under went open heart surgery.  Both times my wife was my caregiver.   I was 8 weeks post op (now 9) and by all accounts doing great after OHS. My wife help get me here especially the early days.  We went on vacation last week, which was planned before surgery to celebrate recovery. Day one my wife missed the bottom stair of the place we were staying. She broke her heel, this resulted in surgery, splint, crutches and no pressure on foot.  I went from patient to caregiver overnight. I now truly respect the challenge of being a caregiver.  When I was receiving help there were times I thought, “Enough I CAN DO IT”.  Learning how to hit the sweet spot of making sure your patient needs are met, but not smothering them with “doing everything” is a difficult balance.  I wish I understood that as a patient. Most of us will over service and smother a bit as caregivers.  The patient needs to appreciate that and not be annoyed. (I have apologized.) In addition to the above balance, it is a lot of work to be the caregiver.  I have a new gratitude and appreciation for the help I received. Thank you for all you do.

Dan
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled