Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82797 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2008, 02:07:34 pm »
Brian-

sounds like you are doing GREAT!  I still have lots of numbness all over the right side of my head, and not tears at all in my right eye yet - and then there's that pesky pirate smile...  Funny that you bite your top lip - in my case, I have to watch that I don't inadvertently suck my lower lip into my mouth while eating (upper lip stays pretty much where it is supposed to.) 

I am quite impressed - and envious - that you are blinking!  That's huge.  I still can't quite get my right eye closed all the way - I'm sure i look quite freaky when I try - too bad it's not halloween!

Really glad you are doing so well, Brian.  You'll be driving in no time, meanwhile, enjoy having a chauffeur.  And, enjoy the time with your daughter!

All the best,
Debbi - flashing my pirate grin...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2008, 06:33:32 am »
Brian:  I am so happy to see your face is almost back to normal - you look great ! !  (bonnet & all ! !). 

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2008, 08:38:34 pm »
Thanks for the comments, all!  I had an appt today and here's the latest:

I'm on a diruetic (sp) to reduce the swelling near the incision.  My doc thinks that there is pressure being built up in my skull for some reason (scarring of the brain perhaps) and my head is producing too much CSF (hence the swelling and headaches).  The diruetic (sp?) will reduce the amount of CSF being produced which should allow things to heal, reduce the swelling and headaches by default.  I hope so, anyhow.

On other things, I continue to get movement of the muscles on my AN side which allows for more and more movement on that side of my face.  My balance is getting better and not too bad given that surgery was 5 weeks ago.  Aside from the come-and-go headaches, I feel really good and have for a few days.  I still battle fatigue especially in the afternoon (after being up all day, showing up at the office for a baby shower for one of my friend's and his wife, then immediately to my doc appt, I was WIPED!!!).

My doc lifted essentially all restrictions (still no contacts till I'm "normal" but that's ok).  He wants me to take it slow, but he said I could drive and work if I felt up to it.  The current plan is to work 4-5 hours from home each day next week followed by 4-5 hours each day at the office the following week.  After the next two weeks, I will make a determination with my working schedule.  He wants me driving short distances and with someone at first, but then working back to driving long distances and by myself.  That's probably a good thing.  ;)

Overall, it was a good visit.  Thanks to EVERYONE who offered words of encouragement and helped me get this far.  I couldn't have gotten this far without this board and each of you.  Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but it will have to do for now.   :)

I read here alot even if I don't post.  I will update more as I get it.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2008, 06:35:41 am »
Wow, Pooter - mostly all great news!  Hopefully the diuretic will help with the swelling.  It's unnerving to have somethign like that (as I know all too well) and definitely slows down the overall recovery.  I'll continue to keep fingers and toes crossed.

Working from home sounds like a great way to get back into the groove.  I work from home all the time, so easing back into work has really been very easy for me.  I work in the mornings and try to leave the afternoons free to accommocate my need to nap.   ;D  I sure know what you mean about feeling wiped out in the afternoons!  When everyone talked about fatigue, I honestly had NO idea what it was really like! 

Hope you have some fun things planned for the weekend - and don't do anything to make your head swell!   ;)  As soon as I finish my morning IV cocktail, I'm heading out to see if I can't get the youngsters at Verizon to help me figure out my blackberry...

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2008, 07:08:05 am »
Pooter -

glad the doctor is doing something proactive for your swelling.  Is it uncomfortable?

From the rest of your post, it sounds like you are right on track.  The fatigue will be with you for a while, it just takes time to get rid of it; rest when you can.  The balance and the muscle movement will most likely continue improving.  Your plans for driving and work are good plans - take it slow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the update,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2008, 07:31:11 am »
Brian,

sending continued wellness wishes to you! Didn't think I'd forget about you, did you? Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:41 am »
Brian:

I have to echo the previous comments that, aside from the swelling issue, which is being addressed by your doctor, I'm pleased to learn that your recovery continues apace.  Sounds like a very reasonable plan for driving and working.  Easy does it.  The fatigue will subside but, as Jan corrected observed, it takes time.  Just want you to know that we welcome your posts and appreciate your thanks. It's sort of a mutual admiration society.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2008, 04:17:19 pm »
Hey all..

Jan, the swelling in and of itself is slightly uncomfortable, but not any more than anything else.  What is more uncomfortable than anything is the headaches that go with it.  They can be debilatating at times. 

Debbi, I hope to get back to working full time at the office and fatigue isn't a huge factor.  Thanks for the well wishes.  Back at you! 

Phyl, I know you've been busy with the bloke, shirking your responsibilities, running all over the world, etc.  It's all good!  ;)

Jim, thanks!  Driving and working again is just a step back to "normalcy" for me.  I won't over do it but I feel the need to get back to both.  :)

Brian aka Pooter...
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2008, 10:46:08 pm »
Ok, so I'm now on the new med and it sucks!  I took it about 6pm (right at 5.5 hrs ago) and luckily we had dinner right afterward cuz one of the "possible" side effects was "changed taste".  I normally don't get ANY side effects from meds (I look at the literature just in case though).  I got a Coke that I intended to nurse this evening after dinner and within 2 hrs of taking the new med my Coke didn't taste like Coke at ALL!!  I can't describe it, but I can just say it is different tasting.  I guess I should feel lucky that is the only side effect, but still!  I've been counting myself lucky for having very little numbness, metal tasting food despite the face not working as well (or at all) even if I haven't said it on this board.  Now, I've been lucky with all the effects of surgery (even though at times I don't feel lucky) but the change in my taste because of the med really stinks!  The swelling and associated headaches haven't gone away yet (I didn't expect them to), but the change in taste came on pretty fast.  BLEH!

Anyhow, I'm done venting... Thanks for "listening".

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »
Brian -

to put it bluntly changed tastes do suck!  Post op I had both metallic mouth and freaked out taste buds, so I can relate to what you're going through. 

Just remember, this too shall pass; so hang in there ;)  How long do you have to take the meds?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2008, 07:16:31 am »
What med are you on?        Nurses are always curious so just had to ask.
   I totally understand how annoying it would be as I am just over 8 weeks post op with still some dry mouth at times and poor taste of alot of food.       This is after my left side surgery.    I  had very little problem with my previous rt sided surgeries.        Alot of food tastes bland.         I tried a Chinese buffet the other day for the first time again  and got by but it didn't taste like usual.     Pepsi is alittle better than at first.    Iced tea isn't bad.   
     Sometimes some side effects of meds go away in time but not always.
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2008, 08:25:52 am »
Pooter~
Sorry that you have experienced a change in tastes, but hopefully this med. will help your head problem and you won't have to be on it long.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2008, 09:23:03 am »
Bummer, Brian.  Hopefully the taste will correct soon - in the meantime, maybe chocolate would help?  Hopefully the headaches and swelling will start to improve over the weekend - I'll be keeping fingers crossed.  These setbacks are really frustrating, aren't they?  Still, it sounds like you are doing really well in spite of having the swelling (hey, does that mean you have a swelled head???)   :D

Let us know how you do over the weekend!

Debbi (I'd wink, but I can't...)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2008, 08:05:18 pm »
Cheryl, I'm on Acetalzolamide 125mg (or something like that).

All, sorry about the vent.  It just set me off.  The rest I can deal with but food is something that I actually enjoy.  Yes, I've lost 20 pounds or so, but I wanted to lose them anyhow.  :)  The taste is better today.  I don't know if I getting used to it or what, but it appears better today.  I took the new med 3 times now (twice a day) and so far today the taste is only a little changed.  The swelling APPEARS to be less today, but better when I leave the wrap on.  Not to mention that its still tender where the swelling is and gives me a pretty sharp pain when pushed.  The wrap seems to help with that too.

My boss (one of the co-owners) is supposed to come see me tomorrow, but we'll see.  I saw and talked to him at the shower a bit.  The father-to-be is his BIL and the Accounting/HR manager, so it wasn't shocking that he was there.  I'm supposed to work 4 hrs a day from home next week followed by 4-5 hrs a day at the office the following week so I'm sure he wants to guage my mobility and all that a little closer.  I hope he isn't too critical since I have only 2 full days left of vacation time (found out today).  We shall see how it all goes.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent especially about something so petty.  :)

Brian

oHIo

« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2008, 09:12:10 pm »
Pooter...you are NOT being petty.  You are on Diamox (trade name).  It is known to cause taste issues.  You may also find yourself in the bathroom a lot more because it is a diuretic.  Be sure to increase your fluids intake.  Diamox can cause you to become dehydrated and you can also develop a headache (due to the dehydration). There was mention on one website about taste alteration, especially with carbonated drinks.  I find that interesting.  Since my surgery, I cannot drink carbonated drinks.  They all taste flat and nasty. 

I am not on Diamox, but I still have a lot of taste issues.  Initially everything tasted like metal.  Now it tastes like extremely salty metal.  Yum.

Do you work in a company large enough to qualify for FMLA, unpaid leave if needed?  I went back to work sooner than I would have liked because I ran out of paid vacation/sick leave.  I was able to work my 10-12 hour shifts, but I couldn't wait to get home and lay down at the end of the day that first week. 

Hang in there.  Hopefully this will be a temporary situation.