Author Topic: 5 senses  (Read 2414 times)

rjp

5 senses
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:36:11 pm »
Did your doc mention before surgery that all 5 senses in your head could be affected?

hearing - gone on 1 side
sight - double vision, and no moisture, contstant eye drops, eye weight, = not able to see well one side
taste - mettalic taste in my mouth
touch - numbness in various areas of mouth, lips, head, nose
smell - working, but numbess on left side of face, means no air through 1/2 nose very easily,  without breath rite strip.

Mine mentioned 2 out of 5 might happen...  must be a lot to remember
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:00:49 pm by rjp »

chica07

Re: 5 senses
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 02:23:38 pm »
Hello!!
        I am 6 weeks post op. I thought I was going crazy, almost all the food I tasted was weird not what it used to be.  The dr. did not mention about it until I asked.  no numbness on my face but very dry eye.

Static

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:06:25 pm »
I wondered the same thing then I started to think that maybe they figured that if they didn't tell you about it, maybe each person would perceive it to be different, i.e., not as bad as if it were expected, or maybe not even that noticeable at all.  That doesn't sound right.  I have a hard time expressing myself.  Maybe they are hoping you will not experience that and are not sure so that if they don't say anything at all, you might not, whereas, if they even suggest it, you may experience it through suggestion.  Did that make sense?  I had problems with taste, they went away.  I had dry eye but it got a bit better where I don't need drops but my eye doesn't tear.  I did lose my hearing, no way around that!  My throat was so sore from the tube in my throat for 11 hours, I wish it had been numb (well, just temporarily).  My smell was okay, as far as I know.  I was very lucky that I had no permanent facial paralysis!    I am still alive, breathing, walking and talking!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Karen

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:30:51 pm »
How long ago was your surgery?  I still have the numbness of the whole left side, dry eye and facial paralysis.  The nose thing interestsme to.  What is it about the nasal strip because the doc I went to told me about an outpatient procedure to open up the nose with a stitch,don't really want another surgery!!!  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:36:27 pm »
I knew about the double vision issue - and had it for 2 to 3 days post op.

I also knew that complete hearing loss on my AN side was a possibility.

Didn't know about the metallic taste, smell, or touch issues.
My docs didn't mention these last 3 - I'm not sure everyone has them - I only have the metallic taste which is getting better as time goes on.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways