Author Topic: 3 year MRI was today..........  (Read 3888 times)

Obita

3 year MRI was today..........
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:55:18 pm »
First off, hello and welcome to all the newbies and hello to all of my old friends.  I have been absent on the forum for about 6 weeks due to the worst 6 weeks of my life.  No, it was not AN related!!

I lost my three best friends in 6 weeks.  One expected cancer death, one shocking pulmonary embolism death and I had to put my dear, sweet 13 year old pooch down. 

Today was my 3 year MRI.  While I was laying in the tube, listening to the BAMBAMBAMBAM, DEETDEETDEETDEET, KACHUNKKACHUNKKACHUNKKACHUNK and even OYOYOYOYOY (hi Phyl - I thought of you when this lovely sound started) I reflected on how fragile life can be.  The prospect of regrowth consumed me last year at this time.  This year, no way will I let it (thank you Jim Scott).  If I do have regrowth, I will deal with it and move on just as I did the first time. 

So my dear friends, no whining from me this go around.  I am glad I am alive, half deaf, can't walk in the dark and most of all, I am glad I was stressed so bad last May 1st that I found this forum.

Cheers and good health to all, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Denise

Re: 3 year MRI was today..........
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:46:31 am »
Kathy, my friend!
I am anxious to hear about your clear MRI photos. I am sure all will be clear.

Your the best! and your positive outlook has helped me many times over. Thanks for finding me, writing to me, having coffee with me and listening to me whine!

Love ya!    Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:53:56 am »
to my dear Irish Wench.... you know how to find me as I know it's been an exceptionally rough time for you... but, I'm always here for you and um... thanks for the "bang-bang-deetdeetdeet, bang, bang!  I never knew I was thought of that way! ;)

Plu-eeeeeze keep us updated and Kathy, I know you're gonna do great! :)

MAJOR HUGGGLES to you!!!!!!
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:27:02 pm »
Loved the way you described the sounds.  When both hubby and I have our mutual MRI's we have decided that it is a "jack hammer" and "horses clip clopping".  I've graduated to every two years after five years of "wait and watch" with hardly any growth (3 mm in that time frame).  Please let us know how you make out.
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:25:27 pm »
Hi, Kathy:

Like you, I just underwent an MRI...my 6th in a year.  Coming just 5 months since the last one, it was encouraging, for the most part.  Some swelling, which concerned my esteemed neurosurgeon, but clear signs of necrosis - large dark spots on the tumor. My doctor said that I did much better on my neuro exam ("follow my finger") than in the past, when I didn't do all that poorly, so he is pleased - but, being hyper-conservative and cautious - wants to 'keep an eye' on the size of the remaining tumor, so he scheduled me for another MRI in June.  I'm good with that and not especially concerned about it as my AN symptoms have basically disappeared and I feel great.  I think I fell asleep during the MRI because it seemed to go by awfully fast!  My wife got tired of waiting for me to come out of the MRI area so we could have lunch (we finally did). 

I appreciate the fact that anything I've posted has helped you regarding keeping a good attitude when dealing with MRI tests and your AN experience, in general.  All the angst and inner turmoil we can develop won't change the test results, one way or the other.   I prefer to remain confident and see no reason not to.  However, I'm prepared to deal with a regrowth, if that ever occurs.  Frankly, I think my tumor is kaput.  My neurosurgeon confirmed that it's blood supply was cut off by the 'de-bulking' he performed and the 26 low-dose radiation 'zaps' it received is obviously doing a job on the tumor's DNA, which translates to tumor death.  YES!   

Stay confident and in control of your life, Kathy.  We're all a lot more than just AN patients.  A lot more.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 03:42:33 pm »
Kathy,
So sorry to read of your three losses in such a short period of time.  Life is so hard at times.  Just want you to know that you are being thought of and know that your MRI will be a good report for you.  Hang in there! :)
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:45:42 pm »
Kathy,

What a rough time you've had.  (((((HUGS)))))  I'll send positive MRI vibes your way!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Obita

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:48 am »
Hi all:

Thanks so much for the good lucks and all............the phone just rang, caller ID said U of M........shaking like a leaf when I answered as I had always rec'd a letter in about a week saying all clear/no regrowth etc....Calls can only be bad news.  WRONG!!!  Dr. Levine's nurse decided to deliver the "all clear good news" so I could have a good weekend. 

Now if I could just quit shaking.  Another MRI in a year.  ;D

Have a good weekend everyone.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:55:56 am »
HECK Yeah!!!!!   :-*

Fab news Kathy!!!!!!!!! MAJOR huggles to you!!!!!

xoxo
Phyl

Hi all:

Thanks so much for the good lucks and all............the phone just rang, caller ID said U of M........shaking like a leaf when I answered as I had always rec'd a letter in about a week saying all clear/no regrowth etc....Calls can only be bad news.  WRONG!!!  Dr. Levine's nurse decided to deliver the "all clear good news" so I could have a good weekend. 

Now if I could just quit shaking.  Another MRI in a year.  ;D

Have a good weekend everyone.  Kathy
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

kippy6

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 09:27:41 pm »
Awesome news!
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute