Author Topic: Another Stupid Question - Follow Up Visits  (Read 4491 times)

OTO

Another Stupid Question - Follow Up Visits
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »
I forgot to ask the Surgical Consultant when I called the House Clinic yesterday with a different stupid question, but for those of you that had micro-surgery and then flew or drove back home... whom do you go to for your follow up visits... e.g. to remove the stiches?

I know the Dr. Slattery from the House Clinic comes to Hawaii every three months or so, and I will see him, as directed.  But post-surgery, how often do you need to go for a follow-up? 

Ever since my ENT diagnosed the AN from the MRI, and told me to consult with the House Clinic, I never even went back to him nor my regular internal medicine doc...  yikes..

lora

Re: Another Stupid Question - Follow Up Visits
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 06:10:49 am »
I had the same questions!  I left the hospital knowing they got out about clementine sized mass (They could'nt get it all, too big) but didn't know the basics!!  I called the office who set me up with staple removal, what not to get wet, what to get wet, all the realities of surgery plus my followup MRI next month.  Just call your neurosurgeons office and they can hook you up. ::)
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:51:37 am »
Post op, I had appointments at 6 days (to remove the pressure dressing, but this is usually done before leaving the hospital), at 10 days to remove stitches (which was done by the nurse and can be done by almost any RN), 4 weeks with the neuro-ENT, and 6 weeks with the neurosurgeon. 

But there are lots of people here who have traveled to have surgery at House.  I'm sure House has a system set up to handle post-up check-ins.  You can either call them, or hopefully someone here can relate their experience.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

1wareagle

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:13:21 am »
I stayed at HEI for 2 weeks. All the stitches and follow up visits were done before I left to come home. I have had no other complications and therefore I haven't had to see a doctor. I did call Dr. Brackmann back in 2 months to let him know my progress.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Desilu

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »
Hi OTO,

First let me say that there are no stupid questions! You are just trying to learn everything you can before you go. When you leave HEC like Ellis said, all of your staples will be out and they will fix you up with all the meds you need before you go home. I live close to Chicago and I was seeing Dr. Wiet who happen to be a friend of Dr. Brackmann. Dr. Brackmann sent a letter to Dr. Wiet letting him know that I had surgery at House and that if I needed any follow-up care, that I would go there to see him (Dr. Wiet) fortunately I did not have a post op problems. They will probably suggest that you go to your previous doctor for follow-up. Also, Dr. Brackmann is always available if you need him. Just call him and he will get back to you as soon as he can, usually within a few hours. He did ask me to call him in a month and let him know how I was doing. I hope this helps? They did want me to get an MRI at the one year mark and send it to them. Instead I flew out there to personally give it to them and thank them for doing such a great job on me!   Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

vcschaub

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 02:48:18 pm »
I ditto what Ann is saying. I was in LA for less than 2 weeks. I had my stitches taken out a week and a day after surgery. My husband and I stayed in the area until I had my post op stitches removal appointment. We then left the day after that. The doctors at HEI are quick to respond and want you to check in with them, even if there are no complications.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

OTO

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 04:17:28 pm »
Thanks to all...   I figured I could work something out.  I set my flight schedule so that I would be in LA for 14 days after surgery.  I guess if I can leave early, I'll just rearrange my flight reservation and leave as soon as they say okay.   Paying the $50 would be cheap enough to get home earlier.    I'll be staying at the Steton Guest Center at St. Vincent Med Ctr.

Since I'm single, I'll be dragging my Dad along...  hopefully, he won't be too bored... waiting for me to recover.   

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 09:40:35 am »
My retrosigmoid surgery was at House on 2/16/07.  The Surgical Counsultant told me to plan to stay a week after surgery since my home was so far away and I would be close to the doctors in case I had any complications.  The following Thursday (2/22/07) I saw my Internist (Dr. Stefan) and Dr. Friedman.  My stitches were removed and I was told I could go home then.  Our return flights were not until 2/27 but my husband and I decided to stay.  Seton Guest House was very comfortable and we could walk to the cafeteria at St. Vincent which was very inexpensive and good. 

You will be very pleased with everything at House and St. Vincent.  Good luck!
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 09:52:10 am »
 :o  OK, it's me again.  When I left LA, my doctors said I did not need a follow up....just have a MRI in one year and send it to them to read.  BUT, I did go see my ENT yesterday just to talk and let him know how I am doing.  When I told him I got to shake Dr. John House's hand, he was impressed! 
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

kke

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »
I recommend discussing with your local physicians your scheduled surgery at House and ask them if they are willing to assist you in your care once you return.  (I call it 'just in case' planning)  We had one neurosurgeon who was unwilling to be involved in another surgeons procedure.  We were fortunate to know this ahead of time, so we were able to find a ns  that was understanding of our option to go to House.  Also, we have good support of a neuro-ENT (trained at House) who is relatively close by.  We are 3 weeks post op middle fossa from House and so fortunatley, we have not needed to use the physicians locally.

kke

OTO

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:50:40 pm »
kke

It's on my list of "things to do" before surgery.  I'm going to call my local ENT to let him know I've scheduled surgery.   I'm also making an appt with my internal medicine doc for my regular cholestral checkup and I will let him know about the pending surgery.   The House Clinic doc (Dr. Slattery) comes to Hawaii about every 3 months or so.   I'll ask him for a neurosurgeon in Hawaii to follow up with, if required....
thanks, OTO

kke

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 08:57:50 pm »
FYI, while we were at House/Seton another lady had the middle fossa with hearing preservation!  Hope this is encouraging, forgot to mention it before.  I was very excited for her.....

kke