Author Topic: problems with word finding/memory  (Read 7090 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: problems with word finding/memory
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 05:02:46 pm »
Interesting thread.

I don't believe AN surgery or radiation treatment has much effect on cognitive issues, but then, I'm not a doctor and of course, I could be wrong. 

Like many, I occasionally forget things and have to struggle to recall the names of famous people, movies, songs, etc.  I'm also 65, which I assume is a factor.  However, my wife, who is a decade younger, has similar problems with recalling certain specific incidents, names, etc.  I think we tend to recall what's important to us, 'forget' what isn't and have to struggle a bit to remember things that have only a passing importance to us, such as the names of actors, lyrics to songs, and the like.  I doubt AN surgery/radiation is the culprit. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

oHIo

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:42:49 pm »
I had word finding issues prior to my AN surgery.  I attributed this to being tired all of the time and a stressful life.  Since my surgery, I have not noticed nearly as many issues, but I am not yet back to work or quite back to the hectic pace I used to keep.  It will be interesting to see if the word finding issues return.

For anyone taking Topamax for headaches, word finding issues are a documented side effect for some people. 

claire1

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 09:34:24 pm »
Hi everyone

I have the same problem and I haven't had the radiation as yet ( 6-11-08).  I think that we are all going to the respective text, articles,computers and anyone that has informnation that will serve us in making the best informed decision ,probably, of are lives that we may be in study mode in overdose.  When I was in college I was taking Gincoba two weeks before exams and that really did help me focus so much better ,that recently I started taking it again. Like all supplements and meds. ask your dr first because many supplements can have an adverse effect on those with various health problems and/or other medications you may already be taking.

Just a thought
Have a Great Day
Claire

I for one is sensory overloaded....Take a Breath

er

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 11:31:05 am »
Hello Claire1

I just want to wish you luck on your radiation on 6/11. 
My husband and I need to try the Gincoba. My husband is 65  a 1 1/2 years ago he went through a 6 way bypass. He was very sharp. It seems the older he is getting besides myself our memory is getting worse. Like today one minute he has his keys in his hands unlocking  the truck to go fishing and in 5 min. times he doesn't remember where he put the keys. It is very frustrating.....
eve

Angela

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 06:04:40 pm »
An earlier post called it "verbal constipation".  The thought or word is right there but I just can't get it out  :o

Fortunately, it gradually improves.  3 yrs post-op, I don't use the tumor as the excuse/reason.  Now I blame old age  ;)
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)