Author Topic: tinnitus and treatment choice  (Read 460 times)

Tahat10

tinnitus and treatment choice
« on: January 26, 2024, 02:26:57 pm »
This is my first post. I am newly diagnosed and met with a neurotologist yesterday for the first time. I will have another MRI in 6 months to see if it is growing. I have tinnitus 24/7 but it isn't particularly bothersome. I wouldn't want it to get any worse though. I discussed the risk of tinnitus increasing with Gamma Knife. He said that is true, but it could also decrease or stay the same. There's no real way to tell. We also discussed translab surgery. There isn't much hearing to worry about saving. I understand that translab surgery may decrease or eliminate tinnitus. I don't have balance issues or other symptoms. Since I found out I have this, I had been thinking I'd probably choose SRS. The thought of surgery of course doesn't thrill me at all. But now I'm wondering if surgery would be a valid choice to lessen the likelihood of increased tinnitus. I should add that I'm 70 but in excellent health with good longevity genes. The doctor said often 65 is sort of considered the cut-off for surgery, although he said there's no reason a healthy 70-year-old couldn't have surgery. So my question is--has anyone chosen their treatment plan based solely (or at least mostly) upon tinnitus? I have lots of months yet to consider all options. Even if I just wait and scan, my hearing and tinnitus would likely continue to get worse.

donjehle

Re: tinnitus and treatment choice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 04:43:49 pm »
Hi Tahat10, and welcome to the ANA Forums!

Thanks for making your first post here!

I will be interested to see if anyone else has made their decision on treatment based on tinnitus.  I am also in wait and watch mode, but my tinnitus has never been a factor for me in my choice of treatment.  Other factors seem to outweigh making a decision based solely on tinnitus.  For many people, the decision is based on the chances of losing their hearing.  For you (and me), it sounds as though that is not a major factor since we do not have much left to lose.

But there are other factors to consider.  For me, if it was a choice of whether to have tinnitus or facial paralysis, I would choose tinnitus every time.  So, I looked at treatment options with lower risk of facial paralysis, for instance.  Another factor is how fast your tumor is growing and how big it is.  If your tumor grows quickly and is becoming large, then Gamma Knife may no longer be an option for you to consider.  Some people who had no balance issues prior to surgery did have balance issues after surgery.  I was not aware that translab surgery might decrease or eliminate tinnitus.  I would love to hear from those on these forums if that, indeed, was true for them.  I was under the impression that no treatment was guaranteed to eliminate tinnitus.  And if it is true that no treatment is assured of eliminating tinnitus, then choosing a treatment based on tinnitus alone does not seem like the best choice to me.  But maybe those who have gone through translab surgery can enlighten us?

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

DanFouratt

Re: tinnitus and treatment choice
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 06:04:20 pm »
Welcome Tahat10,

I am a CK person.  I agree with Don, the side affects risks associated with surgery out weigh the potential increase in tinnitus with radiation.  I did experience an increase  in tinnitus right after radiation but it has returned back to the pre-radiation levels.  Side effect of surgery were the driving factors for my decision to go CK. I could have stayed in wait and watch but I did not want any additional symptoms.  I have hearing loss and tinnitus, but nothing else. I wanted to maintain this so I pulled the trigger to get it done, while it could still be handled with radiation. I wouls say I was back to normal life in days.

There is a meeting in the archives where Dr. Cunningham (Duke) reviews hearing improvement options (July 2023?).  One of the options is a Cochlear implant, which had been shown to address/decrease tinnitus. I spoke with one person who hated to take it off at the end of the day as sit worked great for him.  I would put my money on this option for tinnitus improvement vs surgery. I tested for an implant but at the time I was not "qualified' for the implant. I will test again.

Dan

Good Luck in your journey
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled