Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 409347 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2008, 09:57:12 pm »
I thought that it was Marlena also -- I pride myself on ususally "figuring things out" early on but I had no idea that it was Rosie.  I think we limited animals' "thoughts," feelings and abilities most of the time...

The saddest thing to me is that there are husbands (men) out there that are truly like August and what the poor women suffer -- usually in silence!  I am so thankful EVERY day for my sweet hubby...warts and all!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2008, 03:15:24 pm »
I also figured it was Marlena ... in second telling when he says Marlena hasn't seen him yet but
Rosie has I had to flip back to front and re-read...

I didn't suspect Rosie but when the deed was done thought about a local woman who about 10 years ago
met her husband at the door with a double barreled shot gun and took him out of the world...sometimes
an abused person or animal gets to a point that the only way they see relief is elimination of tormenter... glad
in my first marriage it didn't come to that ...never thought of killing ex and never wished him dead ... but
sometimes wished he would just vanish... I have been told was the same thing

It make me sad that something like a circus that is suppose to be fun and wonderful is so horrible
behind the scenes... it is better now but still not good ...

We took Scouts to Nashville to see Ringling's last year... they had a floor show before it started
where you could meet the performers and be a clown ... a child made a comment about wanting to
join the circus and one of the I guess you would call him a roustabout told him no he didn't because if
you weren't a star you were nothing ...

As for August ... there are too many like him ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2008, 07:33:57 pm »
So, from what I'm reading here, none of us figured out it was Rosie, not Marlena - not a very perceptive group, are we  LOL

Are we ready for a new question?  and does anyone have one? or should I "steal" another from the back of the book  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2008, 07:44:49 pm »
"Stealing" is fine with me! ;)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

sgerrard

« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2008, 08:59:18 pm »
Let's talk about the old guy; he cracked me up.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2008, 09:19:35 pm »
Yea, he was quite a character - a feisty old guy.  And very resourceful, too.

I thought it was interesting to read his personal account of the nursing home and his take on the other patients.  His interaction with the lawyer amused me a lot  :)

But it also saddened me to think of him as one of the few elderly people there who still had his "faculties" yet no one, outside of Rosemary, had the good sense to recognize it.  Yes, he realized he was "slipping" towards the end of the book, but at his age, who wouldn't be  ???

It must be hard to outlive - or be forgotten by - most of the people who were (or are) important in your life.  I was glad that in the end he found a way out of his depressing situation, especially once I found out that Rosemary, who seemed his only salvation, was leaving.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2008, 09:36:23 pm »
I loved him as old. My mom is 87 and moved from an fabulous apartment in beautiful place that she would graduate to assisted living the to full time care, if needed. She was slipping fast. I finally convinced her to move in with us and she looks 15 years younger. She is of very sound mind and yet her life and zest for life was disappearing. I saw conveyed very well this in the book. Really in the long run it might even be my favorite parts in the book. I loved that Rosemarie took the time to see a person who deserves respect is captured in the old body. I hope when I get old, I have "Rosemarys" around me!
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

sgerrard

« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
We should all have a Rosie, and then a Rosemary, somewhere along the way.   :-*

I found myself constantly surprised that the elderly Jacob had so much trouble walking. He seemed mentally alive enough that I pictured him at least puttering around, not stuck with a wheel chair or a walker. My dad is going ahead with hip replacement at the age of 87; I hope it keeps him up and mobile for a while at least.

Mary, I think it is great that you took your mother in. I'm sure it has made a big difference to her, and the brownie points you get for that are worth whatever trouble it may be. ;)

Okay, Jan, how about stealing question #12?

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2008, 11:23:25 pm »
I would like a Rosie, too! That would surprise my dogs! :D

Really my mom gets the kuddos for joining our family with such grace. It was a difficult decision for her and I respect her greatly for doing that. I imagine you see that with your dad. He decided on hip replacement. That takes guts. I wish him well and hope he quickly feels good enough to chase the nurses at the hospital! I am so glad he has a son who appreciates his decision. I also hope this book brings more respect for the elderly.

Mary

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2008, 06:36:49 am »
A Rosie would certainly be different, but currently I'm cleaning up after 3 litter-trained cats.  I can't imagine cleaning up after a "Rosie"  ::)

Searched for my book last night, but seem to have misplaced it among all the boxes of stuff I'm packing.

Steve, can you post question #12 ?

Thanks,

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52:34 am »
I just wanted the "older" Jacob to let them all know his history - especially the lawyer...and did the other guy ever take water to the elephants like he said -- kind of seemed like a strange thing to claim if you hadn't really done it...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »
I assumed the lawyer never took water to the elephants because Jacob had said that you can't carry enough water to give to an elephant or something to that effect??? I did want him to tell his story to the others, too.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2008, 05:07:03 pm »
K & Mary -

I'm with you.  I kept waiting for Jacob to tell his story to the others, but it never happened.  I thought if anything he'd definitely tell it to Rosemary since he seemed to make such a connection with her.  I'm glad he told it to the circus guy in the end - and I was also glad that the circus guy appreciated Jacob for who he was and what he did.

Okay, now where is Steve with question #12  ???

Jan

PS - I think the lawyer was just lying.  There's a lawyer joke in there somewhere, but I'm not going to tell it  ;)

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:48 pm »
Do you want me to copy Question 12 from the book?  I have it in front of me.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »
Kate~
I think that you should go for it!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!