Author Topic: Feeling drunk/buzzed while driving?  (Read 12063 times)

b28

Feeling drunk/buzzed while driving?
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:44 am »
Sometimes when I'm driving I feel like I've had a drink or two. I'm very easily distracted and my head feels dizzy or whatever, exactly like it feels when I've had some drinks. I have to really make an effort to focus on the road.  Has anyone experienced something like this?

spgreenfield

Re: Feeling drunk/buzzed while driving?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:54:47 am »
I hear you!  This whole dizzyness thing is like one big buzz without the munchies!  And I WANT OFF this ride!  How on earth can I go from fine 2 months ago to this?  I'm thinking it's not all that safe to drive anymore - my ability to focus and judge stopping distance seems to be impared...and I haven't even ventured out at night - can't imagine what that's going to be like!!!
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

opp2

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:02:20 am »
Yes a long time ago. It went away after time, but for a few months I felt light headed when I drove. At the time I believed it was stress related to a tyrant of a boss. Since then I have come to the belief that that was when my tumour started to impact my balance nerve. By the time I had surgery, I had no response on the vestibular nerve on the affected side.

Be careful out there.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »
This was true for me, as well, until I adjusted/adapted to the vestibular situation I am in (different from most with NO working vestibular system).  I can now drive without difficulty, but there were many months when it was a good thing I was not trying to drive.

My caution to you both is if you do not feel like you have visual control when you are driving, for goodness (and lives') sakes, DO NOT DRIVE!!  The dizzies will go away when your brain compensates.  Do not risk lives in the meantime.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »
Yes, I felt that way on and off for about a year post-op. It eventually completely went away.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

luvzmutt

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »
I have a hard time driving at night.  The lights make me "dizzy" and I have a really hard time judging distances.  It has gotten much worse over the past year, to the point where I would prefer to stay home than go out.  My husband's car broke down Wednesday night, and we needed to take my car to pick up another company car for him to drive to work the next morning.  I was in tears at the thought of having to drive home myself (about 10 miles and all highway).  Thankfully, we settled on my getting up early and taking him to work the next morning.

I was already a nervous driver because my eyesight is not the best, add the "dizzy" to it, and driving is no joy ride  :P

And driving in the rain...forget it!
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 05:03:39 am »
Sometimes when I'm driving I feel like I've had a drink or two. I'm very easily distracted and my head feels dizzy or whatever, exactly like it feels when I've had some drinks. I have to really make an effort to focus on the road.  Has anyone experienced something like this?

There is a user on these forums, CaptDeb, who has coined the term "wonky head," which seems to be common with AN'ers.  It's a bit like taking cold meds... that head disconnect feel with a hint of dizziness tossed in for fun. (ok, not fun).

It's to the point I have my dr's understanding the term "wonky head" so they better understand when I note this to them. Driving, walking in the dark, feeling drunk without drinking.... been noted here over the years and a commonality for us all.

If you go to the home page on the forums, then do a "Search" (top/right) for "wonky head", you will see the discussions over many years regarding this issue.... so, know you are not alone. It seems to come with the AN territory. In your "search", you will see how many have dealt with it and maybe it can offer up a solution or 2 that may help your situation.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »
Yo Ho, Yo Ho and a bottle or rum Wench Phyl.  Long time!

I have recently re-coined Wonky head to "Cement Head"  Especially when I first wake up. Feels like my head is full of cement. Heavy, foggy and can't quite balance that bucket of concrete on top of my shoulders.

Another term used years back,  Fish Bowl Head.  Like your head is the bowl full of water sloshing around, and the the gold fish are your eyes trying to stay in the bowl.  remember that one?

So Phyl,  we gots Splenda today.... I promise I won't send it your way.  You already got an early blast last week.

I so dislike winter, the barometer is NOT my friend.

Yootee   (aka patti ut)
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

spgreenfield

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:15 am »
My "wonkiness" just ramped itself up to nausea over the last few days!  I'm beginning to think that SSD will be a great improvement over this not being able to function!  I finally threw up and felt much better!  I went back on the forum and found where someone recommended Pepsid to help - and so far it's doing the trick!  I felt as though I had an acidic stomach - which logically would make sense because my poor body is working SO HARD to maintain some sort of balance!  So now I'm back to only the wonky head without the stomach issues.  It's bad enough dealing with no appetite because nothing tastes or feels right in my numb mouth....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12