Author Topic: 6 days post op - couple questions  (Read 2621 times)

matt916

6 days post op - couple questions
« on: December 11, 2005, 06:04:10 pm »
Hi, I'm Matt from Iowa (no not the "biggest loser").  I had a 2cm AN removed translab on 12/5, and I'm trying to get a gauge on my progress.  As we all know, every case is different, but wondering if some of you out there were on a similar path as I am now, and how things have prgressed?  I'm trying to have realistic expectations as I'm not sure my doctor was completely realistic with me.
I'm getting aroung the house on my own, but pretty wobbly, and can't focus on objects well unless my head is rested against something.  ANy input on when I should expect this to change?
Also I'm totally paranoid about CSF lead to the point I'm really limiting my head movement resulting in poor sleep and stiff neck.  I've had no symtpoms of CSF yet, so think I'm out of the woods?
When did you start sleeping back in normal (horizontal) positions?
Thanks for any iput and experienced advance you can lend!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: 6 days post op - couple questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 06:44:04 pm »
Gee ... all I did was sleep the first week (in the hospital)... In a horizontal position!.... you sound better than normal to me!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 08:14:22 pm »
Sounds like you are doing well to me.  I was still in the hospital after 6 six days.  Stayed for 8 days.  Hang onto something and practice turning your head while keeping an object in front of you in focus for one minute.  My PT doctor suggested using a digital clock.  You need to rebuild your balance system. 
Congrats on being home so soon.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

matt916

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 08:22:40 pm »
Thanks for some feedback.  I really was surprised at how off my balance system was b/c doctors figured AN side had already been destroyed and good side had compensated.  Doesn't seem like the case to me now.
I was also told that generally there isn't much pain at the incision sight, but I haven't been able to go long without at least a couple tylonol from the ache in my ear canal and head.
Day by day right?

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 08:40:53 pm »
Matt, the CFS thiing is something to watch for but you just need to keep activites at a low key for a while longer to avoid that complication.  No lifting heavy stuff, no bending over head down for any type of work.  You are doing fine.  Try the eye exercises for getting balance on track.  I will email a link for them.  You are doing just fine.  Day by day.  In about two weeks you'll feel almost normal.  See my next post here for the link.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:08:39 am by Boppie »

shanne

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 09:11:08 pm »
Hi Matt,

You sound great! Out of hospital in 6 days? Oh.. i was hospitalized for 2 weeks! ( perhaps due to my weak health & huge tumor size)
Im 1.5 month post op now, am still having balance problems, facial weakness & loss of hearing ( even in my good ear) :(
Doctors said my hearing in my good ear will return, it could be lost due to trauma. ( nobody knows the cause though all necessary investigations had been done ) I have the same problem as you, feels the world spinning when i move about unless my head is rested on a stationary position.
focusing on an object does help in some ways.
Keep on walking, the more you walk, the better you will feel.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Aside to Boppie,
Could you also email the link for the eye exercises to me as well?
My email add is: shaboo7967@yahoo.com.sg
Thanks!