Author Topic: Transear  (Read 5252 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Transear
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:34:16 pm »
Ok i know some things about the BAHA. can some of you describe what this transear is? how well is it used versus the BAHA? What successes have you had with it?

It seems easier on the body then BAHA and i heard its like the difference in cost from $70,000 for BAHA, to $15,000 for transear??

Or maybe a website you folks know to go find out about it>

thanks Steve Houston ;D
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

jerseygirl

Re: Transear
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:15:55 am »
Steve,

I have Transear so I can't speak about BAHA and its cost. I paid $2700 for Transear including the audiologist's services. I recommend going to an audiologist who is experienced with Transear and fitting it. It is a new technology so not everyone in the field has heard about it or is experienced with it. You might have to look.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:38:37 am »
My TransEar was in the $2,700. to $3000. range total, no implant, no surgery required.  Insurance covers it for SSD.  The technology has improved even since the first TransEars in 2004-05.  Get a good audiologist who knows about TransEar and you will enjoy the benefit.  Information about the ear mold, etcetera can be seen on the TransEar web site.  There are several threads on this forum about TransEar.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:41:49 am by Boppie »

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:14:09 pm »
I am pleased with my TransEar.  I've had to be without it a few times since I've gotten it and I really miss it during those times.  The audiologist I chose was new to the TransEar, but very willing to try it.  She's also a relative of a relative of mine.  The total cost for me was only $2400. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:16:04 am »
TransEar looks like a regular hearing aid, but it fits deeper into the ear canal.  It uses the principles of bone conduction (just like BAHA) to transfer sound from the deaf side over to your good ear.  TransEar does it by fitting into your ear canal and vibrating the bone of the skull that surrounds the canal.  BAHA does it by being surgically implanted directly into the bone above/behind your ear.

My TransEar was $2600, plus $300 for the audiologist fees.  I couldn't get any of it covered by insurance (but I also didn't fight really hard about it).  BAHA is generally covered by insurance because it's surgical.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:22:22 pm »
Steve,

My TransEar is almost a year and ½ old now, and I'm extremely pleased.  Like Katie said, it looks somewhat similar to a "regular" (air conduction) hearing aid.  But the behind-the-ear piece feeds a wire down to the ear, rather than a hollow tube, and that powers the vibrator inside your ear (you won't notice the vibration at all if it's fit right).  That in turn transmits through the skull to the good ear, where it's picked up by the cochlea on that side.  You won't get any directionality, but you'll be able to understand people in a group better, and background noises like air conditioners, etc., won't be nearly as bothersome as without without it.

Anybody who quoted you $15,000 is completely ripping you off.  I was quoted $3000 + the fee for the mold, but was able to get 10% knocked off that (and continued to hear about that for the remainder of the first year - almost made it worth paying the extra $300 just to not be reminded of what they did for me, almost as if to say I shouldn't expect 100% service afterward).  Most everyone else here in the forum seems to have paid in the neighborhood of $3000 or just a bit less.

If your audiologist isn't experienced with the TransEar (and many still are not - some don't even know about it), make sure you like your audiologist, that s/he is willing to patiently take some time to listen and also explain, and that s/he is quite willing to work WITH Ear Technology (the TransEar company) in the early days and weeks after you get yours (if you do).  The Ear Tech. people are fantastic in trying to make each device work for each patient, and are both helpful and cheerful.  Unfortunately, my audiologist got angry when she learned I'd called the company about a problem (just a basic question that I didn't think she'd be able to answer since she was new to them also).  And though one of the Ear Technology people said she'd be happy to talk her through re-programming the TransEar early on, my audiologist refused and did it on her own (very unsuccessfully).  I came very close, several times, to just turning it back and eating the cost of the mold but recoup my TransEar investment.  But I'm very happy I stayed with it - mainly thanks to outstanding customer service by the company (which shouldn't have even had to be the case - the audiologist should have been a decent interface between patient and company).  Ironically, after going through multiple broken wires, and even a broken or loose plug in the first year, I've had zero problems for way over 6 months - probably more like 8-9 months.  I can't help but wonder if the broken wires were a result of the frequent pulling/pushing when I had to have all the reprogramming done so many times because of the audiologist's difficulty in doing so.

Bottom line: the device is great, just make sure you get a good audiologist willing to work with both you and Ear Technology.  I would personally love spending a fraction of the cost of a BAHA with nothing permanently implanted in my skull and get nearly the same bone conduction (not quite as good, I'm sure, but well worth it).  And don't be worried about it being a "new" device.  There are enough of "us" out here now that the company has worked out most of the initial kinks to be expected with a new product.  I'm coming up on 2 years of SSD in a month, and have had my TransEar 18 of those months, and wouldn't take the money back now for the device for anything.

Chris

P.S.  A good friend who's a PhD audiologist told me he's never done a BAHA.  While there are certainly those who'd disagree with him and who've had good experiences with them, he does not like the idea of drilling into the skull and permanently implanting the anchor for the device.  He first suggested a CROS device for me (with which he's had a lot of experience).  But I'm very happy having a device only in my "dead" ear, with my "good" ear completely open.  He's now learning about the TransEar.  I'd have had him do it if he didn't live a 5 hour drive away - almost wish I had now, looking back.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:19:31 am »
Steve,
Lots of people have given you good information regarding Transear.  When I'm able to, I plan to get BAHA but my doctor sent me the links for both Transear - www/transear.com and BAHA - www.entific.com.  They would be worth a look.  Hope this helps.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:18:21 am »
Steve-

Thanks for starting this thread - I've been lurking and reading all the responses with great interest.  Right now, I am leaning more towards Transear - I just can't get my arms around another surgery (no matter how minor) this soon after my translab.  However, i'll see how I feel in a few more months.  Meanwhile, it is great to hear all the positive feedback on the Transear.  Eve in NJ is goign to show hers off to some of us in the NY area soon - can't wait!

Debbi - still spinning and saying "what?"
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:26 am »
Debbi,

You can actually try BAHA. Next time you are at Dr. Roland's office, ask him if he does BAHA surgery and if he has the band to try on.  Unfortuately, you cannot try Transear but you can return it after a certain time if you don't like it. I heard BAHA gives better performance of the two but it is invasive and you have to keep the incision around it clean. It is also more expensive. Something to think about...

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:09:59 pm »
Hi Eve - yes, Dr. R does do the BAHAs and said I could try it out when I'm ready.   Right now, though, I just want to get this darned infection fixed and get this (blanking) PICC line out!!   :D ;D

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:40:26 pm »
I just want to get this darned infection fixed and get this (blanking) PICC line out!!

Debbi -

glad to see you are censoring yourself  ;D  Saves Phyl time  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
I agree Debbi, one thing at a time! Your in good hands with your Dr.`s from ali research I`ve done. I`m sure they will advise when and if the right time. Feel better, Mickey

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 04:09:16 pm »
I aim to please - or at least not to offend.   ;D  And, I don't want to run afoul of the Global Moderators, especially Phyl!!

Debbi - halo intact (as well as PICC line...)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 04:50:34 pm »
Debbi -
I loved your self-censoring.  Nice halo too!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:21 pm »
well folks thanks for all your info on the transear. i contacted the company and so far 3 weeks later nothing. My neurologist is a BAHA type so maybe i need to find some one else . That shouldnt be too hard in Houston Tx for crying out loud..........

its also nice to know other folks get bleaped by global moderators........... been there (not here yet) got the tattoos   LOL
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here