Author Topic: House Ear Institute Stories  (Read 3305 times)

Kate B

• AN World
House Ear Institute Stories
« on: February 03, 2008, 09:16:35 pm »
Hi all,

If you are considering microsurgery, I'd like to express my satisfaction with House Ear Institute.

After all my reading, I learned that the treatment choice depends on the
size of the tumor, its location, and your hearing level mostly. It  took me
until September  (and I was diagnosed in May2001 and my treatment was at
the end of November2001) to know what I really wanted to do and where to go.
I considered each treatment option seriously and oftentimes felt overwhelmed
with all of the information.

My right sided growth was 1.5 cm. After reflecting over my experience, I
want to *emphasize* one thing: the experience, expertise and passion of the
doctor you select for treatment means everything no matter which treatment.
Most agree that they need experience with more than 100 cases.

Through my reading, I also learned about potential side effects and about
the many excellent facilities throughout the country. One of the first
decisions I made was that this was unique enough of a condition that it
warranted going where the expertise works even if it was outside of my local
area. I looked for patterns in the posts on the listserv related to
treatments and doctors. House makes it easy for out of town patients by housing patients at Seton Hall for a nominal fee of approximately $40.00 per night.  There is no problem flying after the surgery (because it is your inner ear) and is the preferred mode of transportation if you are more than three hours from home.  I flew from LA to Chicago 12 days after surgery.

I thought that this might be the place for others having microsurgery at House to post their experience. It is one of the foremost surgical institutions operating on AN's. Read about them at http://www.houseearclinic.com/acousticneuroma.htm  Note:  This doesn't minimize other great institutions performing surgery elsewhere. It will just give HEI patients a place to post.

I look forward to hearing about your AN experiences at House.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: House Ear Institute Stories
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:30:08 am »
Hi Kate and thanks for sharing this... HEI is a well known, reputable location for the microsurgical treatment of AN's, as are many other locations around the States.  I know many will find this info valuable and remind everyone that each individual decision should be based on your own personal situation.

Thanks again Kate.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pascale

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:18:57 pm »
Hello

Very interesting to know HEI has had so many positive outcomes. My mother found out about Dr. Backman and being in San Diego myslef, it would be easy to go there. I was wondering if my health insurance would cover the expense and still waiting for the response.

I was wondering, after the surgery, do you saty at a hospital or HEI has their own place setup?

I'm very exited to see what my halth insurance has to say...crossing my fingers! ;D
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:35:37 pm »
I too could be happy to recommend my surgeons at the hosptial of my choice.  But, I feel it is important to get treatment where the patient finds excellent qualified doctors close to home, family, and those they love.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:54:54 pm »
Hi Kate,
  I'm glad you are here posting this good news. Personally, I live near Philadelphia so flying out to California was possible for me but not so much for my immediate family. My wife had her hands full taking care of our son along with work and wanted to be close to me and the hospital. My mother worked closely with my wife to make things happen smoothly so it was a team effort. I'm not sure how the post-op check ups would have worked out either and what if there were complications following my release? I guess I would be able to go to a local hospital but they wouldn't have my records or anything. I guess there are ways for things to work out. Just seemed complicated at the time. I certainly considered going to House but found the faith that I needed locally. However, if it was a bit easier for me to go to House I would without hesitation especially knowing all that I know. I would probably request Dr. Brackman too. He has personally performed over 3,000 surgeries. That's incredible! He has seen it all. It's a shame my surgery didn't happen at House but I sure did okay. My facial was never a problem, no headaches and even though I lost my already damaged hearing I gained a worry-free life. At least that's how I see it.

Pascale

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:55 pm »
I agree, health is very important and being so close to House I really hope it will work out. I actually read a post from a gentleman who said he has the same health insurance as I and he did it at the House. Howver, it almost did not happen since the Health insurance was only gonna cover a part....but one of the doctors there (not Backman) steped up and agree to receive only that amount of money...

I hope I get lucky too... :-\
2.1 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm AN.
CyberKnife treatment completed on 09/12/2008 with Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs at Stanford.

:D

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:15:02 pm »
I have NF2 and my case is managed by my doctor at House. I have had 3 surgeries there. The outcomes have varied.

The doctors have been great. I feel fortunate that I am able to go to House for treatment.

Through all of my experiences, the expertise and commitment to helping me to have a better life shines.

I recognize that there are other top-notch facilities at which one can be treated. I have little experience with others, but I highly recommend Dr. Friedman at House.

Cheers,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:50:54 pm »
Pascale -

House is definitely one of the top facilities, but as others have said - and I'll chime in - there are other great facilities out there.

I hope you have a wonderful outcome, no matter where you choose to be treated  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:13:17 pm »
I have never had a surgery in House but I considered it as one of the options for my third surgery.

I called House but since there were  no surgeries available at the moment I left my phone number and Dr House called me back the very following day. I have to admit that they are very open and helpful! I talked to him and after several emails they sent me the price list.

They must have updated their price list since you were there, Kate. Now a night in St Vincent’s a housing facility called Seton guest Center costs $55, don't get me wrong - I don't want to say that this is a lot, especially for Los Angles area.
They told me that any MRI or special studies would also be at additional costs.

My question is how much an MRI cost in the USA in general ?

I declined their offer because I was afraid of the great time change (almost 12 hours) between Bulgaria and the US. I noticed in your post Kate you're telling something else! So I would like to ask whether traveling by air on long destinations is scientifically proven to be harmful soon after post-op? Is a patient allowed to travel by air soon after his/her operation? Does the change of the pressure reflect directly on me as a post op or I am supposed to be afraid only of the typical jet lag?

I look forward to hearing from you because it is really crucial. Your answers may change my decision. Thank you for any contribution.

Best,
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co