Author Topic: Biting My Cheek  (Read 10339 times)

LADavid

Biting My Cheek
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:10:21 pm »
Hi All

One more of those questions about something that is really annoying.  I guess this applies more to those with synkinesis -- possibly with palsy.  Since my AN side cheek is stretched so tight, everytime I bite into something, I bite my cheek a long with it.  I finally am to the point where I am eating soft foods and taking half bites.  This has been going on since I developed sinkinesis two weeks ago.  It's come to the point where I really don't want to eat.  Drinking is a joke as well.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Does it improve?  I have a pre-pysical tomorrow for my eye surgery.  Is there anything I sould tell or suggest to the internist?
Any advice would be very much aopreciated.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Cheryl R

Re: Biting My Cheek
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:32:33 pm »
I am forgetful of some things in the past but some time ago did we ever have you look at the
www.bellspalsy.ws          There might be some info to help you on that website.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:35:09 pm »
How you feeling Cheryl?  Nice to see you posting ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 01:56:05 pm »
I am feeling fairly good.   Some problem with my neck hurting occ as can't lay onto my left side like I used to.       I sit around alot, Do some occ things around the house,    Just taking it easy for now.   I walk just fine and was surprised how well that ended up being.            I never ended up dizzy at all.      I actually look better some this surgery than what I did with my 2 yr ago surgery and then a CSF leak due to their use of a wrong item in my head.                   I just have periods of being forgetful when try to talk about some items and that is maddening to me.              This is my 4th surgery since the start of it in 2001 so am lucky.                What the future will bring will just have to wait and see.                    I will soon be 56 and this is way too young to not get to live a normal life.
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »
Hey David:   I bite my cheek, lip - not b/c of synkenesis but b/c of the paralysis.    I'm amazed you didn't have that problem prior to synkenesis !

Cheryl:   I echo Anne Marie:  I am so glad you came thru the surgery in true 'nursing' form.    I have the 'word' finding difficulties, but so do alot of
people our age.    The other day at work I couldn't remember the band who played 'Layla' - the next day I looked at the nurse I was speaking to about it
& I blurted out"Derek & the Dominoes" ! !    I use to be sharp as a tack (I'm figuring you were the same way ?).   So I tend to blame it on the AN surgery,
but others  tell me it's age ! 

I'm finally getting back to my pre surgery life, with only a few minor adjustments,  & I only had the AN surgery 1 time, so please give yourself time -
remember, you just went through the surgery again (you know this better than me !).

Always good thoughts everyone,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 03:32:09 pm »
I was warned when did my pre op that the left side can cause forgetfulness.            I am worse now that what was my usual occ forgetfulness so am frustrated but think in several weeks it will improve some.                     I am just glad the 3 previous surgeries were on my right so didn't cause forgetfulness.
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »
Cheryl:  I didn't know this.   So, my surgery was on the right - then it definitely is age for me.   Guess it snuck up on me !

I hope your memory does improve for you Cheryl...
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 04:21:54 pm »
Chery,

Your forgetfullness will improve in time- steroids and anesthesia will be out of your system. Everything improves in time! Your balance is pretty good so soon after the surgery; that's great!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 05:03:25 pm »
Nancy
I bit my tongue a lot with full paralysis -- but now that my cheek is stretched tight and I can't get it to relax, I now bite my cheek.

I did check the Bells Palsy site and it looks as though I will need Physical Therapy.  I was just hoping that there was an interim solution or some way of avoiding it.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

OMG16

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 06:11:45 pm »
Hi David I have the same problem when they do a nerve block and its going to sound stupid but it actually worked well for me.  So here is the very technical description of what you do (LOL).  Puff both your cheeks out and eat much slower.  I know what your thinking and maybe you should eat alone for awhile, but really do give it a try.

I also want to wish you a very good surgery and recovery since I am not on hardly at all anymore.  Just know I will be thinking about you and wishing you the best.  Kisses to your forehead.   :-*  :-*  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 06:25:31 pm »
David I still bite my cheek & right lower lip.I've learned  to slow down while chewing&not stuff my mouth so much.I still have hard time eating pizza&burgers or things that require alot of chewing.I had therapy and it helped so much.I can finally keep food in my mouth&that a good thing! Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 06:47:27 pm »
I'm a cheek biter and lip biter. Started after about the one year mark from my surgery.  I take small bites and soft foods.  Good luck, David!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 07:44:07 pm »
Hi David.  I apparently bite my tongue,not so much my cheek.  I didn't realize it because I don't have much feeling in that side of my tongue anyway, but my dentist noticed it.  Of course, he didn't offer any useful suggestions to prevent it.

I do have to take very small bites, otherwise I wind up biting my bottom lip.  I also have had to drink from a straw since my surgery.  I can't get my lip to cooperate when i try to drink out of a glass.  I wind up dribbling it down my chin.  I have to put the straw over to my good side.  I did manage to drink from a coffee cup last week without a straw at a restaurant.  I didn't want to look too weird with a straw in my coffee.  But then my 5 year old yells out "Wow Mom - you're doing really good drinking without a straw!!" Just what you need - a very loud cheerleader when you're trying to just blend in with the crowd!   

What kind of eye surgery are you having, if you don't mind me asking? 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »
I forgot to see when this was posted I might be a day late and dollar short as they say, but  anyway I also bite the side of my cheek I have to hold my cheek away from my teeth (so to speak) I also drawl alittle when I eat on the side the AN was on (left) And when I chew my eye closes ,quite a sight. :( I try to eat when no one is around. :-[ I call it the snarl look. It is soooo embarrassing :'(  Good luck, I had my surgeries in 2006 and its all still going on.
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 09:48:18 pm »
David~
I was a BIG cheek/lip biter but don't so much anymore...maybe it gets better w/ time??  I drink out of a straw a LOT (actually everything right now after my T3 surgery) and I have learned this go around to tear/cut everything in bite sized pieces and then put it in my mouth.  I, personally, think that the "biting off" is when things seem to go wrong.  Like everyone said SLOW DOWN - maybe that is why mine got better b/c I kind of "retrained" myself!  Who knows??

Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!