Author Topic: Criteria for returning to work?  (Read 4509 times)

Little Sister

Criteria for returning to work?
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:55:46 am »
Mu husband's surgery was 3/6/07. He is going to OT, PT and Speech. Will probably be released from the OT and Speech next week. Doc. appointment with surgeon is May 15.
He is wanting to return to work and thinks the doc will ask me if I think he is ready. I really don't think so,however I don't want him to think I don't think he is improving----because he is.( does that make sense?) anyway what advise can someone give me, or share opinions with me.
Thanks!

Obita

Re: Criteria for returning to work?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:30:24 am »
Hi Library Lady:

My surgeons asked me when I wanted to go back to work.  Everyone is different.  I would recommend part time at first if that is possible.  The fatigue the first few weeks back was my biggest problem.  Going back to work is very good for the brain.  I was also overwhelmed when too much was thrown at me.  It all gets back to normal in time.  I will admit that I was worried the first two weeks:  will I be able to do this?  Yes, I can.  Sometimes I need to check and double check things I could have done in my sleep before but no one knows this but me and my fellow ANers.

Best of luck to your hubby, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:16:44 pm »
The surgeon will need to know how he would handle driving and the physical aspects of his work situation, his balance ability, recovery symptoms, etc.  Most surgeons handle "the news" very well.  Has your husband visited his workplace?  This experience might give some clues for you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:43:56 pm by Boppie »

tony

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:28:48 pm »
Yes a very good question - and in many ways no easy answer
It does really depend on how far his health has changed as a result
of all the treatment
In terms of "how soon" you might look at ways to reintroduce
"stress/travel/people interactions - but gradually....
and see how the reactions go.
If you find a long weekend drive, or a weekly shopping trip
leaves him exhausted - then maybe not yet
Remember a failure now might make life rather harder in the future
- also given that his work may only allow so long - its a fine balance
I advise, think carefully, and dont rush
Best regards
Tony

tuckerro

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »
I had surgery out of state, and had to fly home.  I took a few weeks, to just recouperate, spiritually, mentally and physically.  Then, I got bored.  So I tried to go back full force, a mistake, and just put myself out of commission for like a week after that.  The stress, and just the fatigue were too much for me.  Thereafter, I went part time for 2-3 weeks, and resumed my normal workload after that.  I would agree that everyone is different. 

I work in an office, and even still would recommend part time at first if that is possible.  That's just smarter, especially if he's able to do so.   RON
----------------------------------------------------
14x7 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
September 26, 2006

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:22:07 pm »
Hi there:  Well, as has been said, everyone is different, outcomes of surgery are different.  I ended up with facial paralysis, balance issues, etc.   Went back to work part time, 3 days a week for the first 2 weeks,  2 months post op.   Started driving just under 3 weeks post op.    I feel like I could have used another month off, but, I did okay - mainly because everyone in my work group was very understanding, kept my workload at a minimum at first.    I work mainly in an office but do alot of running around to different units in a hospital, gathering info.  And yes, like Kathy said, I had to check & recheck myself at first.    It really wore me out, still does; but I notice that exercising, starting out slow at first, really is helpful for the fatigue issues.   Wishing you & your husband all the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

er

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 01:11:30 am »
Hi
Everyone is correct that I know of. It depends on the individual. I was back to work in 3 weeks, also part-time with my doctor’s consent. But I also was very fatigue, of balance but I was like that before surgery. I have left side facial paralysis, single sided hearing, double vision, very sensitive to light so I wore sunglass, but I did well. 2 years after surgery I am still having the same problem except for my sight has gotten somewhat better to the light.
Let him decided. He will know his limits.
eve

maarten

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:59:53 am »
Hi Library Lady

Well, i think people have given you some great advice. Personally I was out from the workplace for 5 months. Some people are back within weeks though. I couldn't. I had a lot of headaches, balance issues and follow up doctor visits/PT appointments. I had to change job after the surgery but am back in a work environment now. I work in a bank and have high stress environment and occassionally travel. That's also why i took longer - i knew it would be a tough place and demanding once I'd be back.

I started fulltime though, from the first day. Once the doctors allow you to exercise and build up strength/stamina again, your husband will see that it may take shorter/longer for him to regain his strength. For me, i took my time, simply because the last thing I wanted was to return back to work and not being ready for it yet, at risk of relapse. So, I really just got to a point where I felt that I was "ok" and could/should go back to work. It's something you feel inside, whether you ready or not. Not something a doctor tells you. My employer fortunately allowed me this time off on sick leave. If not, that changes the situation.

Good luck to you and your husband!
maarten