Author Topic: Update  (Read 4934 times)

janitorx

Update
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:51 am »
Well, I met with an otolaryngologist and he answered all of my questions.  I was impressed with his experience, etc.  We agreed on translab surgery because the AN abuts the brain stem.  It is also too large for radiosurgery.  Right now, I am waiting him to get back to me about the date of surgery because he is going to do this with a neurologist. 

He thinks I've had this for about 30 years--maybe a little less.

I know the risks of translab and I am nervous.  I'm at peace w/ losing hearing in my rt ear. 
AN 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 2.0 cm. 
Translab 5/21/07

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:58 pm »
Hi JanitorX   Oooo, sounds like a super hero to me!,

Good luck with your surgery and healing.  I wish you the very best.  Keep us informed.  Curious minds want to know how you are progressing and are also here to support you after your surgery with any of your questions. Isn't it weird how some of us can have this darn thing growing in our heads for such a long time without ever knowing it's there until it's pretty big. Other's find out when they are pretty small.  It's a strange, strange world, I suppose.

Cheering you on in Vancouver USA

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:36:36 pm »
janitorx:

I'm pleased to learn that you've settled on a physician you feel good about.  Of course, I join the many others here who wish you all the best as you approach a surgery date.  Try to remain calm and focused.  You'll be O.K.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:16:43 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:00:51 pm »
Peace of mind about your physicians and treatment plan are critical.  I'm thrilled that you have found it!

Good luck!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:01:55 pm »
Have faith in your decision and your choice of dr.. .and know that we are cheering you on! 

{{{HUGGLES}}}

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

janitorx

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:24:11 am »
Thanks so much, everyone!  My oto. is a total science geek and I just love that!

I have a job interview next Tues., and hopefully, I will be able to escape the snakepit! 

I just had a pretty bad arguement w/ someone I supervise.  This person takes a TON of sick leave and is generally in poor health.  She just had the audacity to complain to me that I've been out too much lately and am not available to answer questions.  Yes, she knows I have an AN!   ::)  She's been making the same errors over and over again, so I calmly tried to explain to her how to correct the problem and she made it all personal--hence, the attack.  Geez, I even apologized and probably shouldn't have.

I am still running w/the AN and trying to stay in shape for surgery.

Translab 5/21/07

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
I am still running w/the AN and trying to stay in shape for surgery.

I have to say, from personal experience, I think this does help a lot of people.  I work out at the gym 3-4 times/week and was doing that up until a couple days before my surgery.  And I bounced back really pretty quickly.  Being in good shape is definitely a good thing when you're facing major surgery.  Not that this is the only factor, of course, but it helps.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

janitorx

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 11:11:52 am »
I have to say, from personal experience, I think this does help a lot of people.  I work out at the gym 3-4 times/week and was doing that up until a couple days before my surgery.

I figured it couldn't hurt; I just have to watch my footing.  I got some serious road rash a few weeks ago.  :P  Now, it all makes sense why I fell on some pretty flat surfaces over the past few years.

My oto. wants me to start hiking trails a week or so after surgery.  I also have a plan to incorporate pilates which really isn't my thing (I love free weights), but is better than nothing. 

Food tastes pretty lousy right now.  I'm finding it difficult to eat...and I LOVE to eat!
Translab 5/21/07

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 04:36:33 pm »
It does make you feel good once you have made the choice and have your direction.  Hope you have a quick recovery and do well.  Before my surgery (retrosigmoid/2-16-2007) I read everything I could on the Internet and emailed several people who post on this list, I had come to the conclusion that I would be losing my hearing in that ear.  And then I thought well I might not.  It is different though and does not sound like I feared it might.  You know if you stop up one ear and talk then your voice is like it is echoing down inside your body.  It is not that way.  I cannot tell where sounds are coming from but in time I will adjust to that.  To me loss of hearing in one ear is much better than some of the other complications.  I think it might just be that the ones that do well stop posting and get on with their lives.
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results