Author Topic: How long after GK . . .  (Read 2685 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
How long after GK . . .
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:48:29 pm »
My doc said if you don't have any problems within a three year period after GK, then you are good to go . . . True?  Do you finally get to a point where you don't have to get annual MRIs?  I am looking forward to a dead tumor.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Mark

Re: How long after GK . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 10:31:34 pm »
Nancy,

Dr. Chang told me that based on his experience and studies he's seen that it was exceptionally rare to have a radiated AN regrow after a 3 year period. However, They still maintain a follow up MRI schedule but at gradually longer intervals. I am currently at 2 years, but I believe it may be going to 3 after my 8 year check in 2009.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

FlyersFan68

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:50 am »
I sort of remember reading once that regrowth following acoustic neuroma surgery was extremely uncommon after five years. However, even though rare, we have seen regrowth after five years on this board. Same for radiosurgery. My point is that we all have an obligation to ourselves to keep an eye on things  ;). I personally don't see the harm of waiting 2-3 years between MRI's after the first five years but I don't think it's wise (even though tempting) to walk away entirely from the future MRI's. Think of it this way...All your future MRI's for acoustic neuroma will keep an eye on other things going on  in your head too.  :D
Mark, congratulations on nearing the 8 year mark. It's a shame that back in 2004 there weren't too many post radiation patients 4-5 years out for others to consult. At least in my case. It's great that people on these boards nowadays can easily speak to and get plenty of advice from the more experienced radio patient. BTW, how you feel about the flyboys this year?

Nancy Drew

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:51:23 pm »
Congrats also Mark.  Good to see that you post instead of ignoring all of us who need post treatment info--especially the positive outcomes.  Good idea FlyersFan.  Never thought about keeping a watch on other stuff going on in the brain.  If you find something early, then easier to treat usually.  My mother has had cancer three times, and she caught all three in the beginning stages.  She was able to avoid chemo and radiation.  Thanks for the ideas.  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »
I just had my 2nd post treatment MRI in May, and was told that I would only have to annually from now on. I didn't think to ask for how long. Guess I should do that next year!
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:49:21 am »
I think that each doctor has their own guidelines on follow up MRI's.  I believe I had one 6 months after my GK, then one year, then one year, but I think I postponed that one for a few months, and then I think 18 mos or 2 years for my next one and then, maybe I'm done and that'd be close to my 5 year mark.  I think. If I figured that right. Then maybe they cut you loose. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Nancy Drew

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:39:51 pm »
How much do MRIs cost?  My insurance is doing something different next year.  First $1000 of medical care is "free" and then next $3000 the consumer pays, and then they pick up 100% after that.  Right now, I pay $200 for a MRI.  Are a lot of you folks seeing your insurance benefits going down the drain?  I am insured under my husband's plan, and he works for a major US company.  Go figure!  Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
I think my last MRI with contrast was just under $3000.  Fortunately, mine was covered by insurance, or I'd have to mop floors or pull staples out of the carpet at the imaging place to pay it off!

Of course, they had just remodeled the place I went to so I think they might have been trying to pay off the contractor quickly by charging everyone a fortune!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 05:36:40 am »
Nancy, my insurance picks up the MRI costs but I thought the price range is approx what lori noted or just less. You can contact the MRI center to get an approx quote.  That is the best way to judge what you are up against.

To answer your initial question about MRI's post treatment.... as noted by many, after the 3 yr mark post-radio, the doctor will dictate their protocol for MRI follow ups. In my mind, I am absolutely fine with having head MRI's for the rest of my life as it's, to me, the definative way to confirm no regrowths. I'd rather catch a potential regrowth early than late.  Regardless of what kind of AN treatment you have (ie: surgery or radio), we know these boogers, although low in %, can regrow (ie: if a cell is missed during treatment or .....), for me, I'd rather stay on top of the game and keep checking, even if the MRI's are done in intervals of every 3 yrs or whatever.  For me, I'd rather play it safe than sorry.   I sleep through MRI's, so I have no issue having them done.  Just my 2 cents.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"