Author Topic: Left sided facial numbness  (Read 3778 times)

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
Left sided facial numbness
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:08:30 pm »
I have posted on here a couple of times but this time I really need some advice on this problem. I have a known AN , it is small and in the IAC. I have had increasing symptoms of left sided facial numbness and tingling  involving above my eyebrow down to my lip and occ. into my neck. I went to a Neurologist and he did an MRI o f the cervical spine and head with contrast. Results: AN measuring 5x5x4mm in left IAC, protruding cerival disc centrally compression of spinal cord slight, trigeminal nerves and facial nerve ok , althought it was mentioned that the there was a prominent vascular structure passing over the left trigeminal nerve in the cistern. The Neurologist didn't feel this was of any significance. I have tried tegretol and neurontin in the past and could not tolerate the side effects. There is no suggestion of a clot elsewhere. I guess I don't know where to go from here. I've even thought this was all psycholgical. The psychic and soma are so interrelated. I was thinking of alternative medicine. Of course I have done alot of prayer. I have a busy life, but this is really getting me down. Thanks for reading this, any suggestions would be appreciated. Helen
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Left sided facial numbness
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 04:54:05 pm »
Hi, Helen:

I'm sorry to learn that you have a reason to be here (a diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma tumor) but I'm glad you discovered this site and these forums.

Please understand that the posters on these forums, including myself, are not physicians and cannot credibly, ethically or legally offer any medical advice.  That said, I would suggest you consider consulting another neurologist for a 'second opinion' on your case.  If you have a 'known' AN, albeit a small one, it may well be the cause of your current discomfort...or it could be the spinal disc giving you the  problem.  Just because one doctor dismisses your AN as 'of no significance' doesn't mean his opinion is necessarily correct.   Facial numbness and 'tingling' are usually a sign of nerve damage or disturbance and need to be addressed, whatever the cause.   Your 'mission' now is to locate and verify the cause so that it may be addressed in whatever manner is necessary and feasible.

I wish you all the best and hope you'll drop back to keep us informed. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:07:09 pm »
Hi Helen.

I'm no expartI am no expert but I think Jim is right, a second opinion will not hurt. I suppose where the AN is located is what is important. Mine was only 9 mm and my doctor didn't want to wait or do radiation, and I was having the same symptoms you've explain, besides balance,fatigue I was sleeping allot, speech impatient,and feeling like something was in my eardrum that was putting allot of pressure. I was also losing my hearing.
Of all the comments I've read on this forum they are all different.
Good luck and my prayers or with you
eve

OTO

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:24 pm »
HCSTRAWIND

Between the time I was diagnosed and my surgery, approximately 3-1/2 mos, I noticed slight numbness on the AN-side of my face.  Also I had a 'tic' in my eyelid and twitch in my cheek.   The neurologist (whom I got my second opinion from) didn't think it was anything unusual given the AN.   I think it was a combination of the AN; stress from deciding what to do; and sleeping on that side of my face (it just felt more comfortable to sleep with the affected ear down)....

Anyway, I'm 6-mos post surgery, and after some initial facial weakness, I don't notice the slight numbness in my face and eyelid (its getting better every week).

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:26:37 pm »
Thank you all for your response. OTO, I recently spoke with a Dr. from HEI . He felt that my tumor could be removed safely through the Middle fossa approach. I am concerned that my tumor is in an area that is causing my facial symptoms. He recommended that I obtain an ABR and ENG test. I am a long way from Cal. but who knows I may take a trip out there some day. Helen
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:14:19 am »
Hi Helen.  I'm glad you were able to get another opinion on your symptoms.

In my case, facial numbness and tingling were the only symptoms I had prior to surgery.  Your trigeminal nerve might have looked fine on the last tests you had (and I'm sure it is) but it only takes a little bit of irritation to the nerves for it to start giving you symptoms.  After surgery, I have gotten the sensation back in that side of my face and doesn't feel like I just got a million shots of novacaine, like it did before.  I still have some numbness in my tongue, but it's getting better.

Your body is obviously trying to tell you something is not quite right, so I'm glad you are looking to get the bottom of it.

Good luck to you.  And California is very nice, I hear.   ;)
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

bpham

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:42:50 pm »
I almost had facial paralysis before the surgery (9 weeks ago) but after the surgery, it is fine now.  I Just got back from a vacation trip to Asia (10 days) and everything was and is fine.

Before the surgery (Translab), at HEI by Dr. Friedman and Schwartz, they gave me a 10 day dose of Prednison which basically restored most of my paralysis issues and after the surgery I had another 10 day dose and now I'm about 95% recovered.  I'm almost normal now except for some imbalance but it is improving every week.  HEI is the best place to have this done.

Aso, I'm almost used to my SSD.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.